PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for using Pale Night as a chief antagonist for a campaign?

MonkeySage
2013-09-17, 05:20 PM
I want to lead my group to believe that a goblin priest and his co conspirators are the main antagonists of my campaign, then drop the bomb that the priest and his associates are trying to stop Pale Night from paying a visit to the prime material, right after they kill all the conspirators... I'm looking for ideas for how this might work. What might motivate Pale Night to do this, what actions the conspirators might have been taking to prevent her from achieving her goal, etc?

afroakuma
2013-09-17, 06:16 PM
You picked a very tricky one to work with, because Pale Night's essentially an unmotivated individual. Even her cult is so tiny as to be near-irrelevant.

That said, her primary motivation, if she ever has one, is revenge on the eladrin. If she can find a new and delightful way to horrify and torture them en masse, she'll very likely partake.

MonkeySage
2013-09-17, 06:28 PM
That gives me a couple ideas for why she might be interested in coming to the prime material, especially if she's bringing her 'children' with her. It would also make her a very serious threat, if she's aiming to call attention to herself in this manner. As for motivation, being a demon she may have just got bored of waiting.

Now I'm wondering what the conspirators could have possibly done to prevent this from happening. So far I've only got a couple ideas for whose in on it, the goblin priest and an ex paladin.

afroakuma
2013-09-17, 06:42 PM
That gives me a couple ideas for why she might be interested in coming to the prime material, especially if she's bringing her 'children' with her.

They're not likely to come, since one of them is basically the Demon Prince of Lazy and another one's deeply embroiled in a three-way war of ultimate demonic power.

It would also make her a very serious threat, if she's aiming to call attention to herself in this manner. As for motivation, being a demon she may have just got bored of waiting.

She's got a whole layer of the Abyss purely for her entertainment. "Bored" isn't a thing.

A couple of other ideas worth considering:

1) She may be trying to remove her shroud and reveal her true form for a more considerable length of time. The potential damage this could to to reality (not to mention the mortal minds of a world) would be a rich harvest for someone looking to gather power. Why she would want that power, I don't know, but if the world is one highly valued by the eladrin, that would probably be incentive enough.

2) It is said that in ancient times, Pale Night mated with the Abyss itself to give birth to her children. With the obyriths having faded and the tanar'ri dominant, it's possible she needs a new mate to bring forth another child, one more powerful and terrible than her brood of monstrous young and without inborn allegiance to the tanar'ri. She may need to come to the Material Plane to force it to mate with her, or otherwise find her, ahem, "donor."

tzar1990
2013-09-17, 06:55 PM
Question: What book is Pale Night in, anyways? I've seen references to her, but never found her in and of the Monster Manuals I've read.

MonkeySage
2013-09-17, 06:56 PM
Good suggestions, I hadn't thought about that.

EDIT: Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss