PDA

View Full Version : How to eat people.

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 06:10 PM
Okay, so I was thinking while reading the vampire thread. Which is a bad thing, unless it's a really bad thing.

So, I know how to sac stats for fun and profit, but can I eat people for fun and profit? I'm going to be looking through my BoVD, LoM, and other evil books for answer.

First thing I can thing of off the top of my head is Illithid Savant.

EDIT: I'll make a list.

Illithid Savant
Phrenic/Half Fey Barghest
Redcaps (MMIII)
Lifedrinker PrC for Vamps (BoVD)
Soul Eaters with the Life Drain feat. (BoVD. Temporary HP, boosted with Life Drain)
Hunger Domain with the Bite of the King Spell
Illithid Extraction (Complete Psi)
Absorb Mind (BoVD)
Absorb Strength (BoVD)
Slow Consumption (BoVD)
Gut Wrench (BoVD)
Assimilate (XPH)
Cook People Hex (PF)
Ethereal doppelganger (MM2)
Greater doppelganger (Monsters of Faerun)
Beast of Bane template (Forgotten Realm's "Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land").
Intellect Devourer (XPH)
God Blood Disciple Summoner (PF)
Supernatural Feast feat (PF, and this is an aasimar feat?! o.0)
Blood Transcription spell (PF, eat dead caster for spells known)
Tsochar (LoM monster)
Death Giant (MMIII, eats souls)
Juvenile Nabassu gain HD by eating humanoids.
Baphomet cultist - Life Eater.
Dusk Giant
Cadaver Golem (HoH)
Body Leech (Online, psionic PrC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a)traps and drains people in pods)
Deepspawn (Monsters of Faerun. Eats people then makes clones of them. Pod people!)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-17, 06:21 PM
Polymorphing into a Dusk Giant gives you extra HD when you cannibalize, there is also a Goblin related monster (it has a wolf-ish form, but can shapechange into a goblin) that also gets benefit from eating enemies.

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 06:22 PM
Polymorphing into a Dusk Giant gives you extra HD when you cannibalize, there is also a Goblin related monster (it has a wolf-ish form, but can shapechange into a goblin) that also gets benefit from eating enemies.

Ooh, those people eating wolves! That's what I want! What was it called? :smallsmile:

EDIT: Barghest! I knew that, and I typed it into google. Phrenic or Half Fey Barghest would be a scary monster. It gains powers and strength for eating people.

galan
2013-09-17, 06:23 PM
i think you are talking about barghest

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-17, 06:24 PM
Barghest! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/barghest.htm)

Seclora
2013-09-17, 06:24 PM
Barghest, it's a quasi demon, and they gain HD by consuming their enemy's body and soul, eventually advancing to the Greater Barghest. It's MM1 page 22-23.

Edit:
It's not exactly eating, but Red Caps do something similar by filling their hats with the blood of the dead.

ShadowFireLance
2013-09-17, 06:28 PM
Well, first;

1: Begin heating up large pot, depending on size of person, make it larger or smaller.
2: Make it about 400 degrees warm, or colder, depending on how rare you want your meat.
3: Capture X amount of people, whereas X is how many you want on your dinner table, remember that the more you have, the larger the smell.
4: Place people in said pot, now remember, they must be tied, preferably with your favorite binding material, Snake is my favorite.
5: Wait untill the screams stop, and the smell starts escaping, Then, carefully, remove them, and place upon table.
6: Season appropriately, and serve. Be careful not to cut brain until last.

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 06:31 PM
But what if I already ate? Can I get other things from people? :smallfrown:

Amphetryon
2013-09-17, 06:33 PM
There was an old thread at 339, perhaps lost in one of the "forum upgrades" over the years, but probably accessible through the wayback machine, entitled "I will eat you!" If memory serves, it was an exercise in how to get Swallow Whole on a Medium-sized PC, and then how to count as large enough to consume the enemies faced.

hamishspence
2013-09-17, 06:36 PM
The Gape of the Serpent feat from Serpent Kingdoms (allowing you to swallow things the same size as you, if you already have a Swallow Whole attack) may have been a starting point in that.

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 06:39 PM
Okay, if I have energy drain, what is the feat that give benefit for draining folks? I'm putting this under souleater.

There was an old thread at 339, perhaps lost in one of the "forum upgrades" over the years, but probably accessible through the wayback machine, entitled "I will eat you!" If memory serves, it was an exercise in how to get Swallow Whole on a Medium-sized PC, and then how to count as large enough to consume the enemies faced.

The Gape of the Serpent feat from Serpent Kingdoms (allowing you to swallow things the same size as you, if you already have a Swallow Whole attack) may have been a starting point in that.

Hmm. Now to find out how to benefit.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-17, 07:02 PM
If you're OK with homebrew, this is ironically the subject of the only PrC I ever wrote: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12253056#post12253056

navar100
2013-09-17, 07:05 PM
First you need a cookbook.

"To Serve Man" is a classic.

:smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 07:14 PM
If you're OK with homebrew, this is ironically the subject of the only PrC I ever wrote: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12253056#post12253056
This is wicked. I'd like to stick to the books, first. Ideally, I'll be able to come up with some character builds. :smallsmile:

:smallbiggrin:
A refinement! Can I get food bonuses, like in wow? :smalltongue:

Agent 451
2013-09-17, 08:36 PM
A refinement! Can I get food bonuses, like in wow?

Maybe, if you serve them with some fava beans and a nice chianti...

Karnith
2013-09-17, 08:43 PM
Absorb Mind is a spell in the Book of Vile Darkness that lets you eat a creature's brain to learn a few things about it.

123456789blaaa
2013-09-17, 08:43 PM
The Hunger domain from Dragon 312 has some new and old spells that deal with eating people and gaining power from it. It's only granted by the demon lord Turaglas though.

Confusingly there is also another domain called Hunger in the Libris Mortis sourcebook. Most of the spells in it deal with ghouls but the 8th level one (Bite of the King) allows you to eat people and swallow them into a stomach dimension. Not very powerful (it doesn't even give you any other benefit other than killing them) but very stylish.

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 09:04 PM
Hunger Domain, cool!

Life Drain was the feat! Now how to sac Temp HP?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-17, 09:18 PM
There is an enhancement that allows you to channel your life drain through a weapon, stack that upon any weapon and just wail on the enemy (Martial flurry gained via Shou Disciple is advisable).

Andezzar
2013-09-17, 09:21 PM
Well, first;

1: Begin heating up large pot, depending on size of person, make it larger or smaller.
2: Make it about 400 degrees warm, or colder, depending on how rare you want your meat.
3: Capture X amount of people, whereas X is how many you want on your dinner table, remember that the more you have, the larger the smell.
4: Place people in said pot, now remember, they must be tied, preferably with your favorite binding material, Snake is my favorite.
5: Wait untill the screams stop, and the smell starts escaping, Then, carefully, remove them, and place upon table.
6: Season appropriately, and serve. Be careful not to cut brain until last.

:smallbiggrin:I'm pretty sure every cookbook will include gutting before cooking. Just throwing the humans into boiling water will produce unpalatable results.

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 09:26 PM
The intestines should me stuffed for sausage.

There is an enhancement that allows you to channel your life drain through a weapon, stack that upon any weapon and just wail on the enemy (Martial flurry gained via Shou Disciple is advisable).

It turned up in my research. +3, Necrotic focus, Libris Mortis. A little pricy for my tastes. :smallsmile:

If you are Symbiotic with a Frog from Oriental Adventures, you can have Swallow Whole.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-17, 09:43 PM
Does baleful polymorphing someone into a diminutive animal then feeding them to my familiar count?

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 10:30 PM
Does baleful polymorphing someone into a diminutive animal then feeding them to my familiar count?

Like I said, I would like benefit past nourishment. :smalltongue:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-09-17, 10:36 PM
Doesn't the illithid heritage line of feats let you eat brains if you go down the face tentacle route?

*Edit* It does, but you only gain power points equal to the 2d4 points of int damage you did to the target.

*Edit2* It's Illithid Heritage -> Illithid Grapple X4 -> Illithid Extraction

Snowbluff
2013-09-17, 10:41 PM
Doesn't the illithid heritage line of feats let you eat brains if you go down the face tentacle route?

I think so. Having Illithid Grapple 4 times means you can grab heads.

EDIT: Illithid Extraction. Eat brain. It gives up to 24 Power points.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-18, 12:01 AM
Like I said, I would like benefit past nourishment. :smalltongue:

What about joy... that's a benefit. Or the evil luz.

IronFist
2013-09-18, 12:16 AM
A 10th level Rogue can take Gape of the Serpent, since he does not have to qualify for it (if you swing that way).

Jeff the Green
2013-09-18, 12:26 AM
There are at least two spells in BoVD—absorb mind and absorb body, IIRC—that allow you to eat parts of your dead enemies for various purposes.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-18, 12:34 AM
The psionic power Assimilate doesn't exactly let you eat the person but if you metamorph into an ooze first... its quite similar

mabriss lethe
2013-09-18, 12:43 AM
It's Pathfinder, but the Witch class has an option that lets you cook people up and turn them into potion-ish delicacies . Strangely enough, it's called "Cook People."

Cook People (Su): The witch can create fabulous spells by cooking an intelligent humanoid creature in her cauldron, either alive or dead. Using this hex creates one meal or serving of food of the witch’s choice, typically a delicious stew or a dough suitable for cookies, pastries, or other desserts. Cooking the victim takes 1 hour. Eating the food provides one of the following benefits for 1 hour: age resistance, bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fox’s cunning, neutralize poison (instantaneous), owl’s wisdom, remove disease (instantaneous). Alternatively, the witch can shape the dough into a Small, human-like creature, animating it as a homunculus for 1 hour. The witch must have the cauldron hex to select this hex. Using this hex or knowingly eating its food is an evil act.

Baroncognito
2013-09-18, 12:52 AM
Mabriss Lethe, that is exactly what I was going to post.

That said, my character will eat most anything he kills, he used that once in an attempt to get a bonus to an intimidate check. Does that count?

IronFist
2013-09-18, 01:00 AM
I really need to make a Witch villain now.

Slipperychicken
2013-09-18, 08:37 AM
But what if I already ate? Can I get other things from people? :smallfrown:

Well, BoVD has prices for body parts. Basically, if you butcher a human body, the bits (brain, hands, bones, tongue, etc.) have a total value of 1gp.

If you kill an intelligent, feathered, flying creature like a Raptoran, on the other hand, then you can sell its feathers for 20gp a pop. Remember that even small birds have hundreds if not thousands of feathers. Apparently they're spell components for some underpowered [Evil] spell which no spellcaster in his right mind would ever prepare.

Snowbluff
2013-09-18, 09:26 AM
There are at least two spells in BoVD—absorb mind and absorb body, IIRC—that allow you to eat parts of your dead enemies for various purposes.
Cool!

The psionic power Assimilate doesn't exactly let you eat the person but if you metamorph into an ooze first... its quite similar
This is about right. It doesn't have to be literal consumption. I've got energy drain, after all.

It's Pathfinder, but the Witch class has an option that lets you cook people up and turn them into potion-ish delicacies . Strangely enough, it's called "Cook People."
:smallsmile:

Well, BoVD has prices for body parts. Basically, if you butcher a human body, the bits (brain, hands, bones, tongue, etc.) have a total value of 1gp.

If you kill an intelligent, feathered, flying creature like a Raptoran, on the other hand, then you can sell its feathers for 20gp a pop. Remember that even small birds have hundreds if not thousands of feathers. Apparently they're spell components for some underpowered [Evil] spell which no spellcaster in his right mind would ever prepare.
20gp? Wow.:smalltongue:

So it turns out there is a Vampire Monster class. Fun times.

Slipperychicken
2013-09-18, 09:42 AM
20gp? Wow.:smalltongue:

For a single feather. On a creature which probably has thousands of feathers. You do the math.

Snowbluff
2013-09-18, 09:56 AM
For a single feather. On a creature which probably has thousands of feathers. You do the math.

I'll write this under "Walls of Iron," and "Turning people into Salt.":smalltongue:

So, here's a build for you guys. Muckdweller (Or Elan) Something4/Vampire1/LifeDrinker5/Souleater1

Drain levels to fuel the Blood Servant ability. I need a Monstrous Humanoid/Nonhumanoid Race and a good chasis, though.

Piggy Knowles
2013-09-18, 10:09 AM
Greater Doppelgangers eat brains like Illithid do, and then they can turn into their eaten victim and gain its thoughts, personalities and abilities.

There's a psionic monster that looks like a brain with legs. It consumes the brains of helpless or dead bodies, the. Replaces the brain with itself, using the body as a puppet for up to a week.

dysprosium
2013-09-18, 10:11 AM
There's a psionic monster that looks like a brain with legs. It consumes the brains of helpless or dead bodies, the. Replaces the brain with itself, using the body as a puppet for up to a week.

The intellect devourer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/intellectDevourer.htm)!

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-18, 10:12 AM

The Intellect Devourer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/intellectDevourer.htm)?

shaikujin
2013-09-18, 10:20 AM
Other creatures that gains power eating other creatures:

1) Ethereal doppelganger (MM2)
2) Greater doppelganger (Monsters of Faerun)
3) Beast of Bane template (Forgotten Realm's "Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land"). +2 LA. Gains a "Feed" ability that works almost like a barghest's ability. +1 HD for every 3 humanoids eaten.

123456789blaaa
2013-09-18, 10:36 AM

3) Beast of Bane template "(Forgotten Realm's "Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land)" +2 LA. Gains a "Feed" ability that works almost like a barghest's ability. +1 HD for every 3 humanoids eaten.

The Touch of Hate feat (Player's Guide to Faerûn, p. 177) allows you to turn animals into Beasts of Bane. The animal transformed also follows your commands.

Snowbluff
2013-09-18, 03:15 PM

3) Beast of Bane template (Forgotten Realm's "Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land"). +2 LA. Gains a "Feed" ability that works almost like a barghest's ability. +1 HD for every 3 humanoids eaten.Thanks, I was about to ask for the sources!

The Touch of Hate feat (Player's Guide to Faerûn, p. 177) allows you to turn animals into Beasts of Bane. The animal transformed also follows your commands.
Cool! I want to build something with that.

Heads up, new build idea.

Something3/Vamp1/Lifedrinker2/UrPriest9/LifeDrinker+3

ShurikVch
2013-09-19, 09:00 AM
Juvenile Nabassu gain HD by eating humanoids.

Also, Baphomet cultist - Life Eater (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020911b).
Capstone ability:

Feed (Su): When a 10th-level life eater slays a living opponent, he can feed on the corpse, devouring both flesh and life force. While a barghest can perform this grisly task in a single round, it requires a full hour for a life eater to complete. When a life eater consumes a once-living creature, he gains a +1 inherent bonus to his Constitution score for every 4 HD or levels the creature possessed, to a maximum of +5. As with other inherent bonuses, the bonuses gained from feeding do not stack with each other or with other inherent bonuses. Thus, once a life eater consumes a 4-HD creature, gaining a +1 inherent bonus, he must feed on a creature with at least 8 HD to increase that bonus to +2. Feeding destroys the victim's body and prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. A wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life, but there is a 50% chance that even such powerful magic will fail.

Deox
2013-09-19, 09:13 AM
While not "eating" in the conventional sense, the Death Giant in MM3 may be worth looking at.

They "eat" souls.

Vaz
2013-09-19, 09:13 AM
The Intellect Devourer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/intellectDevourer.htm)?

The intellect devourer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/intellectDevourer.htm)!

The intellect devourer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/intellectDevourer.htm)&

The Tsochar from Lords of Madness can do similar.

avr
2013-09-19, 09:31 AM
More PF oddities:

The spell blood transcription - learn a spell by drinking people's blood.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-transcription

The feat supernal feast - get temp HP by eating good outsiders or drinking their blood. Weird.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/supernal-feast

avr
2013-09-19, 09:38 AM
Also in PF there's an archetype for half-orc summoners, blood god disciple.

Snowbluff
2013-09-19, 06:23 PM
Thanks, guys! I updated the OP.

Kaerou
2013-09-19, 06:33 PM
Pathfinder: Sorcerer with the Gibbering Mouther bloodline (third party, book is named 'Bloodlines') gets an engulf/swallow ability.

ShurikVch
2013-09-21, 10:47 AM
Cadaver Golem (HoH) have ability to Assimilate Flesh (Ex). Replacing his bodyparts with those of living or recently deceases humanoids he can get access to new skills or/and abilities.

The Body Leech (PrC) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) deserved mention.

Also, you somehow completely missed Dusk Giant despite mention in the very first answer.

Snowbluff
2013-09-21, 11:03 AM
Pathfinder: Sorcerer with the Gibbering Mouther bloodline (third party, book is named 'Bloodlines') gets an engulf/swallow ability.
While cool, I am not doing PF material. Thanks for participating anyway. I might add a 3rd party

Cadaver Golem (HoH) have ability to Assimilate Flesh (Ex). Replacing his bodyparts with those of living or recently deceases humanoids he can get access to new skills or/and abilities.

The Body Leech (PrC) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) deserved mention.

Also, you somehow completely missed Dusk Giant despite mention in the very first answer.
Cooooooool.

I'll fix that.

mabriss lethe
2013-09-21, 11:48 AM
Forgotten Realms (Lost empires of faerun, I think) has a creature called a Deepspawn. They're rather fun. Not only do they eat people, once they've devoured a person they can perpetually spawn fully functional clones of them.