PDA

View Full Version : (PF) So, guns are cool, magic is cool... can both be cool together?

CardCaptor
2013-09-17, 07:20 PM
So, I've been glancing for a few hours now through archetypes and archetypes, wishing to make some kind of decent spellcaster with a gun. I didn't think I was asking for much, but really, I've found nothing that was really fitting of what I was looking into, except for perhaps a few divine spellslinging archetypes, but I'm really looking for an arcane gunslinger.

I'd like tips for a build which mixes Arcane and Gunslinging together well. Something along the lines of a Spellslinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger) perhaps, except not so crippling. I figure the best way to go is either Gunslinger 1/Something else X, or maybe Gunslinger 5/Something else X. Anyone got some more tips, for me? Maybe something I've overlooked? Or is this just a garbage concept, in Pathfinder? The game is really more story focussed than combat, so the numbers don't truly matter. I simply wish to be funcional and helpful to my party.

avr
2013-09-17, 07:34 PM
The spellslinger is less powerful than wizards in general ... but that isn't saying much. As with other wizards in PF it can still cast spells from opposition schools and it has a couple of unique tricks of its own. Unless your game is high op it should be OK.

If it's the very idea of those opposition schools which offends, you could possibly take one level as a wizard and all the rest in the class which you intend to have casting spells thru the gun. The idea of a druid doing this amuses me.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-17, 08:11 PM
Myrmidarch from Ultimate Combat is a magus archetype that lets you use spellstrike with ranged attacks. The archetype description talks about bows, but the wording on the actual ability is worded such that it works with any ranged attack (including thrown objects and firearms). The downside is spell combat explicitly only works with melee weapons, and Myrmidarch doesn't fix this.

Big Fau
2013-09-17, 08:15 PM
The Iron Kingdoms setting has a class that does what you want. Never seen it in action, so I can't really judge its power. You could port that over.