PDA

View Full Version : Gate Abuse (Planar Travel mode)

DeAnno
2013-09-17, 08:17 PM
1) Can you open a 20 foot diameter Gate directly below a bunch of people standing on the ground so they fall through into a point 500 feet in midair above the ground in the Elemental Plane of Fire? Do people just fall through?

2) If that's stopped by their feet touching the ground and stopping the gate from forming, could you do it by Disintegrating the ground they were standing on, then casting Celerity and Gating before they fell?

3) If somehow I'm reading it wrong and it can't be opened in horizontal orientation, can you open it and then chuck or trick unwilling enemies into it by other means?

There is some text in the PHB under Gate missing from the SRD, to do with putting it in a hallway to intercept attacks; this was what made me think of using it to intercept whole creatures.

TuggyNE
2013-09-17, 08:48 PM
Pretty sure it can be horizontal:
The gate itself is a circular hoop or disk from 5 to 20 feet in diameter (caster’s choice), oriented in the direction you desire when it comes into existence (typically vertical and facing you). If it had to be vertical, it wouldn't say "typically", would it?

Duke of Urrel
2013-09-17, 09:48 PM
I think difficulty begins when you assume that one plane's gravity works through the Gate onto another plane, or when you assume that the ground underneath a horizontal Gate works upward through the Gate to pull creatures and objects down through the Gate. A Gate may not work like that. The text of the Gate spell says only: "anyone or anything that moves through is shunted instantly to the other side" and "anyone who chooses to step through the portal is transported." There is no indication that any intraplanar or extraplanar force can pull a creature through a Gate against its will – except for the extraplanar creature that the spellcaster intentionally calls.

This may be a good question to ask Afroakuma (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299450).

Sith_Happens
2013-09-17, 11:21 PM
I think difficulty begins when you assume that one plane's gravity works through the Gate onto another plane

Yeah, I don't even want to imagine the field equations for that.:smalleek: