PDA

View Full Version : What is on the other side of the portal?

Dirtyoldguy366
2013-09-17, 10:14 PM
I'm running a big group campaign with 6-8 players attending each week.

The campaign is alternate Earth history.

Here's where things are now.
The players learned of ancient space artifacts hidden in various locations on Earth from Vulcans they encountered who rescued them from profiteering Ferengi (ehhhh... its complicated).
The artifacts are responsible for the magical powers possessed by beings from this alternate Earth.
The players have found one already and have tracked down the likely location in of a second in Egypt.
The artifact supposedly lies in an ancient Pharaoh's city which vanished Atlantis style beneath the desert many years ago.

They have apparently found a way into the city through a magical portal opened by a cult which worships the Pharaoh as a god. When the portal was opened and the cult's leader and those closest to him entered, various devils came from the other side wiping out the cult.

The party fights through devils to the portal. What is on the other side?

I would like them to enter the ancient city ruled over by devils (which is why it was sealed away), but the EPL is only 4-5 though there are 6-8 of them. I'm pretty sure that a BBEG Devil encounter would likely wipe them out.

I'm looking for a scenario where the evil guy gets the PC's to do something that gives him an edge to take advantage of when the PC's are higher level, but still lets them get to the artifact they are seeking so the overreaching plot arc can proceed.

An idea I had was that the devils might be interested in the space travel that the Vulcans have access to (the Nine Hells might be a plane that is confined to exist within the Planet, and they desire expansion to other worlds. Devils invade Bajor anyone?) and might ask them to sell out their powerful friends.

Any other thoughts? They have been charging toward this portal which I've made seem like a bad idea for a while. I want them to be rewarded by achieving one goal, but would like it to cost them something in return.

What's behind the portal?

GungHo
2013-09-18, 08:47 AM
Darth Vader

AKA_Bait
2013-09-18, 10:00 AM
I don't really see any reason why you can't still have a city of Devils. Just don't have those devils act in a manner that is hostile to the party once they pass through the portal. They should be welcoming, friendly devils who, incidentally, also seem to possess overwhelming force. This is particularly possible if Devil's have longer term plans for the PCs.

Also, don't forget that you can award xp for non-combat encounters where the PCs need to use things like bluff and diplomacy to solve the problem.

Armoury99
2013-09-18, 04:04 PM
I second this. Obsequiously polite and helpful devils: Previous combats? A terrible misunderstanding. Of course we only look like your "devil" person, bad first contact some time previously, you know how it is... Yes we have a sulphur and brimstone atmosphere, what a coincidence.... these "souls" - oh, merely templates of reanimated corporeal energies, entirely legal agreement under interstellar law.... etc etc.

Basically have them "host" (imprison in a gilded cage until they get what they want) the PCs and constantly assure them that they aren't devils ("I mean, no one thinks Vulcans are elves right?") but just have them be more and more blatantly evil supernatural beings.

Dirtyoldguy366
2013-09-18, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Tonight the party worked their way closer to the underground portal. The devil forces they have encountered have been operating under the orders to tax the player's resources without entirely destroying them. Poisonous imp stings, devil chills, traps, etc.

I do like the idea to have a receptive audience awaiting them on the other side.
The space artifacts are essentially useless to the devils, but they know the one they have is a valuable bargaining chip. Also, if the PC's are powerful enough to make it through the devils in the cave, they might be useful for helping them carry out their visions of galactic domination now that the magical binds that have contained them in the lost city have been broken.

What do the devils ask for in exchange for their lives and the artifact they seek?
What are the ramifications of going along with such an agreement?
How can the PC's get their cake and eat it too?

Thanks again!