PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Alchemist help

Alexander leah
2013-09-18, 07:27 AM
i need some help for the alchemist that i will bring to table at the next session, my last character was a zen archer and for many months i was the most useless man in the team, since we encontered only plants, constructs and skeletons :( , so next i want to play that has always something usefull to do.

guidelines are: lv 4,1590 mo, pb 15 points,2 +1 increments instead of 1 at 4° 8°12° ecc, no alternate class traits, no background traits (gm reward us with these while playing), manual allowed: core, advanced guide and all ultimates, other official material found in the srd need the approval of the master.
Feral mutagen is banned, also is elven curved blade
My idea is to use bombs for nasty debuff, and in case i run out of them i just pop out the mutagen and other buff and i start strike with a sword, probabily i will a crossbow for the emergencies

that is what i have thinked so far

Class: alchemist
Archetype Grenadier
Why grenadier if i dont want to specialize in bombs? because i really dont care about poison and bre potions, since we are running a low money campaign, and both of them are quite expensive, grenadier will give me a free precise bombs that is a very nice discovery, and a free weapon proficiency.
Human
15 pb
str 15 +1 lv 16
cos 12
dex 14
int 13 +2 human +1 lv
cha 9
wis 9
at 4th +1 to str and int

feats: Power attack (so i got the melee part covered) 2 extra discovery (master let me take extra discovery at lv 1),weapon prof(greatsword or falchion)

discovery: infusion, precise bomb(free discovery), frost bomb, smoke bomb,stink bombs

i have hard time deciding on equipment, i have 1590 mo to spend, i can buy alchemical items at 1/3 of their price

its a good start or i should build him in a different way? i thinked of going the dex route but since we are low of money i dont know when i will be able to buy an agile weapon

Psyren
2013-09-18, 09:15 AM
i need some help for the alchemist that i will bring to table at the next session, my last character was a zen archer and for many months i was the most useless man in the team, since we encontered only plants, constructs and skeletons :( , so next i want to play that has always something usefull to do.

Wait, why did those make you useless? Didn't you pick up Clustered Shots (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/clustered-shots-combat) and Deadly Aim? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-aim-combat)

Class: alchemist
Archetype Grenadier
Why grenadier if i dont want to specialize in bombs? because i really dont care about poison and bre potions, since we are running a low money campaign, and both of them are quite expensive, grenadier will give me a free precise bombs that is a very nice discovery, and a free weapon proficiency.
Human
15 pb
str 15 +1 lv 16
cos 12
dex 14
int 13 +2 human +1 lv
cha 9
wis 9
at 4th +1 to str and int

feats: Power attack (so i got the melee part covered) 2 extra discovery (master let me take extra discovery at lv 1),weapon prof(greatsword or falchion)

.....Ehhhh. Without Feral Mutagen/Vivsectionist I wouldn't even bother with melee. Stick to bombing, move your 15 to Int and the 13 to Wis, dump Str.

Alexander leah
2013-09-18, 11:08 AM
Died before reaching clustered shot, with deadly aim i wasnt hitting vero often, 15 pb hurted a lot, our adventuring days are are pretty long so running out of bombs Will be pretty easy

Raven777
2013-09-19, 07:17 AM
Died before reaching clustered shot, with deadly aim i wasnt hitting vero often, 15 pb hurted a lot, our adventuring days are are pretty long so running out of bombs Will be pretty easy

If you do not care about poisons, don't want to specialize in bombs, and want melee capabilities... Why don't you go Beastmorph + Vivisectionist?

Vivictionist trades away the bombs for sneak attacks. Beastmorph trades away poison shenanigans for Beastshape I-IV special abilities. By 6th level you will pick up wings. Grab Feral Mutagen for 3 Natural Attacks at full BAB and go to town on enemies clawing and biting their face off.

Andvare
2013-09-19, 07:31 AM
This alchemist guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293307) is quite good.

Alexander leah
2013-09-19, 05:52 PM
@Raven777: i care about the bombs, just i dont want it be my main focus since they are a limited resource, i'm more trying to build a swicht hitter.

@Andvare: yeah great guide, i readed all of it

good news, my master has un-banned feral mutagen, my idea is to take feral mutagen instead of power attack, and with the weapon profiency instead of the falchion taking a bow

any onther ideas?

Raven777
2013-09-19, 08:16 PM
good news, my master has un-banned feral mutagen

Now I'm curious. Why would he have banned it in the first place unless he is some kind of crazy person? Are you being DM'd by a crazy person? Are you playing with hobos? Don't play with hobos! That's not hygienic!

Alexander leah
2013-09-20, 05:43 AM
he banned it before hand because he once mastered a beastmorph/vivisectionist monster and didnt want to see that again, once i explained that i wasnt getting any sneak attack dice and i dont want to make a melee monster he unbanned it

Baron Malkar
2013-09-20, 08:24 AM
The Formula Alembic (UE) and Hybridization Funnel (UE) are both very useful and the Unstable Accelerant (ARG) is great for improving your bomb damage when you really need it, especially when it is hybridized with another alchemical splash weapon using the funnel.

Psyren
2013-09-20, 08:57 AM
he banned it before hand because he once mastered a beastmorph/vivisectionist monster and didnt want to see that again, once i explained that i wasnt getting any sneak attack dice and i dont want to make a melee monster he unbanned it

Then I guess make a meleechemist with bombs. It's going to be fairly mediocre at both because you need to keep your Str and Int high, but it's an option.

Alternatively, you can focus on Dex and natural weapons, then get feats like Weapon Finesse, Piranha Strike and an Amulet of Mighty Fists with the Agile property on it. High Dex will help you connect with your bombs and claws, and you can move the points you would have put in Str over to Int. Str and Cha both become dump stats.

It's not exactly ideal though and will take a while before you do decent damage without bombs.