PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Hero

Breccia
2013-09-18, 08:53 AM
In several notable works of fiction, there is an auxiliary character who, while not one of the main characters, is keeping the heroes on track through equally brave actions and sacrifice. A classic example is Wedge Antilles. Ace pilot of the Rebel Alliance, Wedge shoots down a TIE fighter about to vaporize Luke Skywalker, then protects him in the trench run, in the original Star Wars. He then takes out an AT-AT walker in Empire Strikes back, and leads the charge against the Death Star's main reactor in Return of the Jedi. Despite limited screen time, Wedge was indeed one of the pivotal figures in the movie series. Characters like him can show depth in a piece of art, and deserve recognition for the role they play.

And so, we find ourselves in the presence of such a character in the OotS. I refer, of course, to Spiky.

Where would our heroes be without this...erm...thing by their side? Armed with claws, teeth, and the nickname-generating protrusions, Spiky could potentially kill off almost as many of Tarquin's mooks as Roy or Belkar. But it doesn't end there! Spiky has also demonstrated a resistance to arrows lacked by other party members (such as Roy), allowing him to soak up attacks that would otherwise chip away at the party's few remaining hit points. And do not forget Spiky's grappling attacks! Should Team Tarquin choose to attack, Spiky could take one for the team and nobly sacri...I mean, magically dominated mind-controlled be ordered to grapple, say, a psion or spellcaster, giving the full-fledged OotS members well-deserved free hits on a restrained, cloth-wearing punching bag.

Recent developments have only made Spiky more of an advantage. Being able to wander in and out of the Johny Cash reference to bring justice to...I mean, indiscriminately and savagely slaughter the nearby soldiers while the Order takes a quick breather in relative safety, Spiky can further improve his value to the team. Hell, or possibly Hades/Gehenna/Abyss, it can probably teleport to the middle of the archers and wreck some face there instead.

May the Twelve Gods bless Spiky, who...ok that's probably not a good idea, what with Spiky being a soul-consuming monster of darkness that would show up in Detect Evil through three lead sheets and a room full of Belkar clones. But let us raise a toast to Spiky, who...ok that's probably not a good idea either, what with Durkon being a vampire now. Hmm. Well let us all give thanks that Spiky is here to assist our beloved main characters, before the summon spell ends and it returns to torturing the souls of tax adjusters or cleaning out the Inbox we just saw.

A moment of appreciation for supporting characters, who happen to be named after shapes that can hold doors open or closed.

2.5 cats
2013-09-18, 09:07 AM
Well put! I'll nominate O-Chul as another unsung hero--the entire story just might turn out differently because of his friendship with the Monster in the Dark. (Even beyond it probably keeping Roy, Belkar alive, and Durkula...umm...in action sort of.)

AKA_Bait
2013-09-18, 09:08 AM
So, are we doing one really sarcastic opening post thread per day around here now?

Also, come on, it's obviously the flumphs.

F.Harr
2013-09-18, 09:18 AM
I thought it was beautifully written.

rgrekejin
2013-09-18, 09:31 AM
Well put! I'll nominate O-Chul as another unsung hero--the entire story just might turn out differently because of his friendship with the Monster in the Dark. (Even beyond it probably keeping Roy, Belkar alive, and Durkula...umm...in action sort of.)

If you think O-Chul is unsung, you haven't visited the forums nearly enough.

Silverionmox
2013-09-18, 11:07 AM
Don't forget the bats that supply V with guano!

Irenaeus
2013-09-18, 11:18 AM
*Marching band starts playing*

Oh!
Spikey, Spikey
Spikey the Barbed Devil
He doesn't die, and he doesn't jaw
He just kills the mooks with his gruesome claw
Spikey, Spikey
Spikey, the Barbed Deviiiiiiiil

Hey, Spikey!

/unsung
Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Rump23NTU

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-18, 11:38 AM
The Chief.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-18, 11:40 AM
Don't forget the bats that supply V with guano!

If vampires in bat form can poop, Durkon can be V's supplier and cut out the middleman.

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-18, 11:42 AM
If vampires in bat form can poop, Durkon can be V's supplier and cut out the middleman.

ONly living things poop. Undead are an abomination and thus cannot poop.

F.Harr
2013-09-18, 11:43 AM
*Marching band starts playing*

Oh!
Spikey, Spikey
Spikey the Barbed Devil
He doesn't die, and he doesn't jaw
He just kills the mooks with his gruesome claw
Spikey, Spikey
Spikey, the Barbed Deviiiiiiiil

Hey, Spikey!

/unsung
Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Rump23NTU

Ah, middle Weird "Al".

Tiiba
2013-09-18, 12:47 PM

I will now feel a little more alive every time I visit the Chamber of Solitude.

Solse
2013-09-18, 03:05 PM
Also, come on, it's obviously the flumphs.

I agree. Because my avvie is a flumph! Get it? Get it?

Gil-Galad II
2013-09-18, 04:39 PM
The true unsung heroes of the story would have to be the potion sellers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html). Without their tireless dedication to idiocy and foolishness, Azure City would have fallen even sooner, costing many more lives. May their unknown names be hallowed in song forever!

Demolator
2013-09-18, 09:38 PM
Without Wizard Guy, Cliffport would be a very different place.

HearTheRequiem
2013-09-18, 09:59 PM
The true unsung heroes of the story would have to be the potion sellers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html). Without their tireless dedication to idiocy and foolishness, Azure City would have fallen even sooner, costing many more lives. May their unknown names be hallowed in song forever!

They are Eve and Larry, of Eve and Larry's Alchemy!

Mike Havran
2013-09-18, 11:25 PM
Without the nameless cleric of Loki, Haley and Belkar would have never left Greysky and the Order would be lost forever.

Gil-Galad II
2013-09-19, 01:15 AM
They are Eve and Larry, of Eve and Larry's Alchemy!

And the lesson today, boys and girls, is to always do a little fact checking, no matter how well you think you know the subject...:smallannoyed::smallwink:

DaggerPen
2013-09-19, 01:23 AM

I love these forums.

Cavenskull
2013-09-19, 04:20 AM
That is uh, not quite 100% true (http://io9.com/5862418/10-bodily-functions-that-continue-after-death).

Trillium
2013-09-19, 06:16 AM
That is uh, not quite 100% true (http://io9.com/5862418/10-bodily-functions-that-continue-after-death).

Damn it, man, I read that link and I think I lost appetite for like a week >:|

F.Harr
2013-09-19, 09:00 AM
I love these forums.

Ain't they great?

I love how you put that.

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-19, 02:14 PM
A dead body doesn't count as undead. A dead body, to a starving, suffering decomposer, is the most beautiful thing in the world. Dead bodies aren't abominations that shouldn't exist.

The undead have no place in the world of the living; even the virus has a place, even the mosquito, even the tapeworm, even the flesh-eating-worm has a place.

But undead have no place; and they should be removed like an invasive species (which also has no place. Get these dang european starlings off of my Continent! Get the gypsy moth out of this hemisphere! Get the rabbits away from australia!).

Clearly, the only reason why people like vampires better than leeches is that vampires are anthropomorphic.

quasit
2013-09-19, 05:23 PM
I'd go for Banjo; helped to cheer up the party a lot of times (even if most of them wouldn't admit it directly) giving them one important thing: HOPE. Also, that incident with the orks at the greg initiative island.

Damn it, man, I read that link and I think I lost appetite for like a week >:|
Thanks, I'll rather avoid even driving the pointer close that link, then. YOU, yes, you sir; are trully a hero :smallbiggrin:

Clearly, the only reason why people like vampires better than leeches is that vampires are anthropomorphic.
Did you mean them having life-like appearance or texture (no clue about the taste, thought)? An skeleton or zombie is pretty antropomorphic too (but now that i think of it, zombie stuff is very popular too... :smallconfused: Skeletons not so much: they lose so much uncannyvalleyness not having flesh). Also that cold aura around them, gleamy spots of light on eyesockets instead of eyes, and paralizing touch...yikes!

HeeJay
2013-09-20, 04:40 AM
...ok that's probably not a good idea, what with Spiky being a soul-consuming monster of darkness that would show up in Detect Evil through three lead sheets and a room full of Belkar clones.

I laughed hard and loud.

I nominate that one as The Sentence of the Week.