PDA

View Full Version : Epic Level Handbook trasnlated to Pathfinder huh? well let's take a look.

ZippoMoon
2013-09-18, 10:24 AM
http://www.jessesdnd.com/epicpf

I didn't make this but I thought you all would like to see this, and discuss it. And before you ask yes he fixed the epic level spells... or at lest tried, I've never had the chance to play at those level's so I can't discuss on that topic.

Carth
2013-09-18, 10:49 AM
Pros
-At a glance, automatic progression into 10th, 11th, etc. spells is nice, much more sensible than epic spellcasting and improved spell capacity as a feat (this comment is in terms of spell slots only)
-Some very good new epic feats have been made, other have received good revisions. Some are still duds, but that's fine.
-Epic spell system is better - though I know that isn't saying much. I didn't look closely at it, but I like the philosophy in that chapter's intro, at least, too.

Cons
-Still incentives getting higher BAB/saves pre-epic.
-Bonus feats for epic class progressions don't always make sense. Monks got hosed again. Bards get a feat every second level?

???
-Epic skills are still zany, which is both good and bad.

Saidoro
2013-09-18, 11:58 AM
Guardian Spell[Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 24 ranks.
Benefit: A guardian spell remains dormant on the caster until triggered by a specific event determined at the time of casting. All other effects of the spell are determined when the spell is activated. If the guardian spell is set to be
triggered by another individual's action, such as an attack or an attempt to grapple, the spell activates immediately, interrupting the action that triggered it. As long as the spell remains dormant, it continues to use up a spell slot of the
appropriate level. A guardian spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell's actual level.
wut.

Yeah... if for some insane reason you actually want to play at something like epic levels just use Mythic adventures. It's still stupid and broken, but it's less stupid and broken.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-18, 12:07 PM
Guardian spell is pretty much contingency... and that is a 6th (?) level spell

Eldan
2013-09-18, 12:10 PM
What is a bit weird is that it automatically interrupts the action. That could have some strange results if taken literally.

"I grapple the wizards!" "His guardian spell activates." "Oh, ****!" "He casts light on his shoes. Your grapple is interrupted."

Brookshw
2013-09-18, 12:21 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Definitely will give it a look through.

Renen
2013-09-18, 01:29 PM
What is a bit weird is that it automatically interrupts the action. That could have some strange results if taken literally.

"I grapple the wizards!" "His guardian spell activates." "Oh, ****!" "He casts light on his shoes. Your grapple is interrupted."

Thats not how interrupting works.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-18, 01:55 PM
wut.

Yeah... if for some insane reason you actually want to play at something like epic levels just use Mythic adventures. It's still stupid and broken, but it's less stupid and broken.

It also feels more epic. There's nothing in the ELH that directly lets you jump 20 miles, for example.

Saidoro
2013-09-18, 07:01 PM
Guardian spell is pretty much contingency... and that is a 6th (?) level spell
The difference being that there are no strong limits on how many guardian spells you can have active and no long term cost to implementing them. Sure, it eats your slots but at epic levels you've probably got more of those than you really need.

Snowbluff
2013-09-18, 07:11 PM
The difference being that there are no strong limits on how many guardian spells you can have active and no long term cost to implementing them. Sure, it eats your slots but at epic levels you've probably got more of those than you really need.

Yeah, it's closer to the craft contingent spell feat.

Psyren
2013-09-18, 07:47 PM
This doesn't account for archetypes at all. For instance, the Epic Barbarian's DR increases at the same rate whether you have Invulnerable Rager or not. The document mentions archetypes before throwing its hands up and saying "homebrew something."

I like the attempt to give epic spells levels, but he abolished the most interesting aspect to their creation (the seeds) which makes creating them even more difficult now as you lack even that limited bit of guidance. And the levels he uses are almost totally arbitrary. For instance, Crown of Vermin can do 1000 damage with no backlash, yet is 4 levels lower than Vengful Gaze of God. Druids get Damnation, while Clerics don't get Nailed to the Sky. The most powerful spell by far, Time Duplicate, is weaker than Dire Winter, etc.

Snowbluff
2013-09-18, 07:59 PM
T
I like the attempt to give epic spells levels, but he abolished the most interesting aspect to their creation (the seeds) which makes creating them even more difficult now as you lack even that limited bit of guidance.

Aw, that's too bad. I knew the epic spells were pretty borked, but I always liked the idea. :smallfrown:

Big Fau
2013-09-18, 08:10 PM
It also feels more epic. There's nothing in the ELH that directly lets you jump 20 miles, for example.

Which is a nerf to noncasters. :smalltongue: