PDA

View Full Version : Vow of Silence?

Kaulz
2013-09-18, 11:59 AM
Iam playing an Bearwarrior VOP Tank (yes i know...) atm.

because i can not speak anyway in Bearform i thought about not to speak at all, only some grumpy bearsounds maybe :)

Question : is ther any Vow of Shutup feet out ther? if not how may it look like if housruled?

Waker
2013-09-18, 12:06 PM
There isn't an official one to my knowledge, but you could probably adapt one from the description of the Buomman from Planar Handbook. Say that you can't speak, if you do you take 1 Wisdom damage for a day.

Kaulz
2013-09-18, 12:12 PM
oh cool.. so maybe an simple Feat that gives you +2wis-2Cha and refuses these boni if u violate ur vow ... similar to that race...

Waker
2013-09-18, 12:22 PM
The stat change wouldn't be that great of an idea, since feats don't modify stuff that like directly usually. I suppose if you wanted something thematic and in line with what the other vows do, you might consider it granting something like a +2 Bonus on saves versus Language-dependent and/or Sonic effects. So you can't speak, but you gain a bonus against Harpies, Bards or a Cleric's Blasphemy spell.

Kaulz
2013-09-18, 12:50 PM
Simpl Stat change is little dump yea...
but i wouldnt take a feat for +2 rw and sonic imunitis....AND cant speak...
maybe making it an flaw?
http://tinyurl.com/ntxhuyk
sounds sollid

Chronos
2013-09-18, 01:29 PM
...something like a +2 Bonus on saves versus Language-dependent and/or Sonic effects. So you can't speak, but you gain a bonus against Harpies, Bards or a Cleric's Blasphemy spell.
Annoyingly, Blasphemy doesn't offer a save, so you can't get a bonus on the save. Well, it does for the banishment effect, but I assume that you're no angel.

Waker
2013-09-18, 01:36 PM
Annoyingly, Blasphemy doesn't offer a save, so you can't get a bonus on the save. Well, it does for the banishment effect, but I assume that you're no angel.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it allowed a save or not, since it's a spell that so rarely sees play in my groups.
Regardless, this was just a quick thought of what a Vow of Silence could grant, rather than an actual attempt at Homebrewing. Most of the Vows are rather unimpressive as far as what they grant, giving stuff like a bonus against ingested poisons. You could also consider granting bonuses to Sense Motive and Listen since you don't rely on speaking and spend more time observing others.

Kaulz
2013-09-18, 03:51 PM
Maybe +4insingt bonus to Spot Listn concentration....maybe sense motiv

Immabozo
2013-09-18, 03:59 PM
I have a suggestion other than feats. You should take Fist of the forest (CChamp). It will help your damage, grant con to AC an fits with what little you shared about flavor.

Also, look into War Shaper (CWar) gives you a stat boost, immunity to crits, reach, fast healing and ability to up your damage via either number of attacks or each nat attack counts as one size bigger.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-18, 04:19 PM
I homebrewed the outline for a Vow of Silence once for an npc. He was a spellcaster, though, so I had to incorporate a bigger scope, as there are obvious impacts on casting and using certain magic items.

Lemme see if I recall the basics.
Drawback: The character can't speak. Sign language can't be used to bypass this, nor can telepathy; they are both essentially speech. Bluff skill to use body language can be used, but is severely limited in meaning.

1st: Bonus to Listen and Sense Motive. Thematically, it was a non-aligned religious vow that dealt with perceiving the reality of things (was going on an epic Void Disciple), so awareness bonuses and lie-detection were par for the course.

1st: Non-vocal spell: an allowance for spells with verbal components to be cast by someone with the vow. Casting is not silent, but is much more difficult to detect, imposing a minor penalty to Listen checks to hear, and a small penalty to Spellcraft to identify stuff, as the style is highly esoteric

3rd: Bonus to Bluff for purposes of Innuendo (an old 3.0 skill use that, I think, was rolled into Bluff...or at least it is in my rules). This was designed to allow characters perceiving the character with the vow to more easily interpret body language from the character.

5th: Message 3/day. Thematically tied to the flavor, which allowed the character to use the air about them to send words when necessary. A specific exception to not speaking.

And more along those lines. The capstone 20th level ability allowed the character to speak without speaking, representing the zen-like theme of Void Disciple.

Sorry it's not more use, but maybe there are one or two things you could adapt. People might not think that not being able to speak is a big restriction, but if enforced, it is, even for martial characters.

Rubik
2013-09-18, 05:06 PM
If you can't get a Vow of Silence going for any reason, spend 900 gp on a pearl of speech from the MIC. It'll let you speak any one language no matter what form you're in, so long as you have your face item slot available.

Kaulz
2013-09-19, 04:57 AM
People might not think that not being able to speak is a big restriction, but if enforced, it is, even for martial characters.

so true..i f tried once 4fun and just one encounter...kind of intresting gaming

my char is actualy an Ranger1fighter2babarian1fist-of-the-forest1Deepwarden2Bearwarrior5warshaper4 ... next lvls would be FoF ....maybee uncanytrickster continiuing FoF lvls

Kaulz
2013-09-19, 04:58 AM
If you can't get a Vow of Silence going for any reason, spend 900 gp on a pearl of speech from the MIC. It'll let you speak any one language no matter what form you're in, so long as you have your face item slot available.

Vow of poverty alows me an Trousers and an fightingstaf. thats it... :smallsmile:

Immabozo
2013-09-19, 11:43 AM
my char is actualy an Ranger1fighter2babarian1fist-of-the-forest1Deepwarden2Bearwarrior5warshaper4 ... next lvls would be FoF ....maybee uncanytrickster continiuing FoF lvls

Not a bad build. How's it working out for you? Please tell me you character's name is Beary Ursine, cause that is a great Beary McBearington build. Bearbearian who fights as a bear and gets so angry he turns into a bear and when not fighting, lives like a bear, and with VoP, only needs the bear necessities.

Please tell me you talk in horrible bear puns at the table too!

Kaulz
2013-09-19, 03:19 PM
Please tell me you talk in horrible bear puns at the table too!

how did i know that this would hapend...:smallbiggrin:
in fact thats the reason why i want to be silence ...

it is , like most of u know, underpowert 4 16th lvl caus of laking magical stuff... but it s totaly fun to play... il open an other threat whit a few questions about my build soon.

Immabozo
2013-09-19, 06:00 PM
how did i know that this would hapend...:smallbiggrin:
in fact thats the reason why i want to be silence ...

it is , like most of u know, underpowert 4 16th lvl caus of laking magical stuff... but it s totaly fun to play... il open an other threat whit a few questions about my build soon.

Hey, I want to play a similar build (but mre bears in the build) because it seems totally fun to play! Although I think I am gonna be playing in a gestalt game.

HalfQuart
2013-09-21, 08:04 PM
Hmm... I wonder if you could take Perform (Mime) and make skill checks to communicate with other people rather than speaking. Although that wouldn't really work for your bear guy, of course.

John Longarrow
2013-09-21, 08:14 PM
Kaulz

Why not just stick to not talking for RP reasons? If it makes sense for the character to not talk (or not talk much), then they shouldn't. You don't always need a game mechanic to back up an RP decision.