PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum Focus (Chameleon PrC addition)

Perseus
2013-09-18, 12:24 PM
Incarnum Focus

Gain: +2 on Spell Craft and Knowledge Planes checks.
Gain: +2 to Will Saves.
At level 6 these bonuses increase to +4.

Gain a limited ability to use incarnum based on your Chameleon level.

Level: Soulmelds. : Essentia

1 : 1 : 0
2 : 2 : 1
3 : 2 : 1
4 : 2 : 1
5 : 2 : 2
6 : 3 : 2
7 : 3 : 2
8 : 3 : 3
9 : 3 : 3
10 : 4 : 3

Special: if the chameleon changes their aptitude focus then any active soulmelds unbind.

Mimic Class Ability: Expand Soulmeld Capacity (Ex): For a number of rounds equal to 1 + Con Mod the Chameleon may Be under the Incarnate's Expand Soulmeld Capacity class feature.

On my phone so the table sucks but does anyone have a problem with the numbers? Is this a decent focus for a Chameleon?

Amnoriath
2013-09-18, 01:22 PM
Incarnum Focus

Gain: +2 on Spell Craft and Knowledge Planes checks.
Gain: +2 to Will Saves.
At level 6 these bonuses increase to +4.

Gain a limited ability to use incarnum based on your Chameleon level.

Level: Soulmelds. : Essentia

1 : 1 : 0
2 : 2 : 1
3 : 2 : 1
4 : 2 : 1
5 : 2 : 2
6 : 3 : 2
7 : 3 : 2
8 : 3 : 3
9 : 3 : 3
10 : 4 : 3

Special: if the chameleon changes their aptitude focus then any active soulmelds unbind.

Mimic Class Ability: Expand Soulmeld Capacity (Ex): For a number of rounds equal to 1 + Con Mod the Chameleon may Be under the Incarnate's Expand Soulmeld Capacity class feature.

On my phone so the table sucks but does anyone have a problem with the numbers? Is this a decent focus for a Chameleon?
You forgot a few things.
1. You need to specify meldshaper level.
2. What list do they derive soulmelds from?
3. You don't have any binds.
4. How many times can the mimic ability be used?
Also your essentia shouldn't ever be lower than your soulmelds. While not essential there isn't a single Incarnum base class with poor fortitude.

Perseus
2013-09-18, 01:52 PM
You forgot a few things.
1. You need to specify meldshaper level.
2. What list do they derive soulmelds from?
3. You don't have any binds.
4. How many times can the mimic ability be used?
Also your essentia shouldn't ever be lower than your soulmelds. While not essential there isn't a single Incarnum base class with poor fortitude.

1: Meldshaper level... I always forget that's a thing haha. I'll work on that. Most things depend on ECL and Con Score.

2. Any list. There really should be one list anyways.

3. No Binds. Chameleons are dabblers in the art of Incarnum. I may change this if many people think I'm crazy on this.

I was thinking level 3, 6, and 9 allow binds at crown, feet, and hands respectively. But only giving 1 or 2 total binds.

4. Like Rage, this can be used 1/day, 2/day, then 3/day ask the Chameleon levels up ( @ 3, 6, 9 ).

I did the less essentia on purpose. This is to show that the chameleon is copying incarnum and is not an incarnum class.

Will save will be changed to Fortitude. Good point.

Thanks for the questions, I missed a couple things and could have made it more clear.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-18, 03:59 PM
Meldshaper Level should follow the same pattern as Caster Level - so Class level x2.

They should definitely get chakra binds, because they're meant to be imitating a full incarnum class. Up to the arms/throat/shoulders level, which is similar to how high their spellcasting goes up to.

For number of binds, I'd say cap out at 2 or 3.

Also yeah, having less essentia than your number of soulmelds is weird. Even if they are a dabbler, simply making them cap out at around the level of a 10th level Incarnate makes them appropriately weaker than a real Incarnum class.

Amnoriath
2013-09-18, 11:41 PM
1: Meldshaper level... I always forget that's a thing haha. I'll work on that. Most things depend on ECL and Con Score.

2. Any list. There really should be one list anyways.

3. No Binds. Chameleons are dabblers in the art of Incarnum. I may change this if many people think I'm crazy on this.

I was thinking level 3, 6, and 9 allow binds at crown, feet, and hands respectively. But only giving 1 or 2 total binds.

I did the less essentia on purpose. This is to show that the chameleon is copying incarnum and is not an incarnum class.

1. The other focuses allow double caster level to per level but certain builds such as Legacy Champion and a tightly put together Geomancer abuses that progression to become an omnicaster. So I would say they progress at one meldshaper but can add their constitution modifier to it while being capped by your total hit die. That way they can keep up from not being dispelled all the time while not going past full Incarnum characters.
2. Interesting, but I guess if the arcane focus can learn all arcane spells of the appropriate level it only makes sense to do the same.
3. They should be able to bind at least 2 if not 3(this is what the good base classes add over the last 10 levels). If they aren't able to bind they can't really develop much into Incarnum as binds are far more important than high essentia.
4. You do realize that if you do that there is no point in having that ability focus. A base essentia recepticle allows 4 essentia to be invested at level 16-20. As of now they can't even max 1 soulmeld at that level.

Perseus
2013-09-19, 09:07 AM
How about...

Number of soulmelds and essentia equal to the Totemist (they get less than Incarnate) over 10 levels.

Number of soul binds and types equal to Incarnate. Maybe drop one.

Meldshaper level for these are equal to 2x Chameleon. This is cut in half when using soulmelds and soul binds from other sources.

May take soulmelds from any list but each must be from the same list (maybe).

I'm ignoring alignment because well I ignore alignment in MoI.

Amnoriath
2013-09-19, 10:09 AM
How about...

Number of soulmelds and essentia equal to the Totemist (they get less than Incarnate) over 10 levels.

Number of soul binds and types equal to Incarnate. Maybe drop one.

Meldshaper level for these are equal to 2x Chameleon. This is cut in half when using soulmelds and soul binds from other sources.

May take soulmelds from any list but each must be from the same list (maybe).

I'm ignoring alignment because well I ignore alignment in MoI.

1. Actually they get the same soulmelds. I think one point of essentia per level will be just fine.
2. They get 2 to 3 in the first and second 10 level period respectively. So, you will be fine with 3 total.
3. Other sources? You use the same list regardless so how does that even play out? Any half-way decent incarnum character in the mid-levels will have a constitution in the 20's. A Chameleon gains substantial stat bonuses, so I think my solution works just fine.
4. In general you probably aren't going to get the binds that can really diversify, plus Incarnate soulmelds usually have better essentia bonuses anyway. I really don't think you are going to run into much trouble overriding other Incarnum base classes in terms of the system.
5. Yeah, its a stupid class feature that doesn't even make any practical or flavorful sense.