PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to bring your AC with you and other Qs

Frosty
2013-09-18, 12:45 PM
So, I'm going to have a quadraped dinosaur as an animal companion in an upcoming Rise of the Runelords game. I'm just wondering what other people do to bring their animal companions along when it is Large, weighs probably a (literal) ton, and probably can't Climb anything. Vertical walls. Large pits. Many common obstacles would seem to deny my AC passage. Even if I were high enough level to cast Fly on it, it probably would get really scared unless I trained with it a lot (and it only gets 1 skill point a level who really puts ranks of Fly on the AC?).

So...what do you guys do?

Oh, on a side note, are social skills like Bluff important at all in this AP?

Baroncognito
2013-09-18, 01:42 PM
Carry Companion. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/carry-companion)

Arutema
2013-09-18, 01:43 PM
So, I'm going to have a quadraped dinosaur as an animal companion in an upcoming Rise of the Runelords game. I'm just wondering what other people do to bring their animal companions along when it is Large, weighs probably a (literal) ton, and probably can't Climb anything. Vertical walls. Large pits. Many common obstacles would seem to deny my AC passage. Even if I were high enough level to cast Fly on it, it probably would get really scared unless I trained with it a lot (and it only gets 1 skill point a level who really puts ranks of Fly on the AC?).

So...what do you guys do?

Prepare Carry Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/carry-companion) once a day, and carry some scrolls of it for backup.

edit: ninja'd.

Frosty
2013-09-18, 01:45 PM
Doesn't work if I'm not level 4 yet though. What else can I do before then? And even at level 2, as a sorcerer I would be trying to learn other, more useful spells first :smallbiggrin:

Baroncognito
2013-09-18, 01:45 PM
Also potentially useful: Reduce Animal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reduce-animal)

Baroncognito
2013-09-18, 01:47 PM

There are times Bluff could be useful. No one ever seems to believe that my adventuring party is with the Department of Health and Safety Services.

Frosty
2013-09-18, 02:09 PM
I'd cast Reduce animal, except my character is a sorceress with the Sylvan bloodline instead of a Druid :smallredface:

Khantin
2013-09-18, 03:07 PM
I'd cast Reduce animal, except my character is a sorceress with the Sylvan bloodline instead of a Druid :smallredface:

Alter self (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alter-self) your companion into a small or medium humanoid.

Arutema
2013-09-18, 03:12 PM
Alter self (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alter-self) your companion into a small or medium humanoid.

I know share spells allows it, but that's going to be one very confused dinosaur.

Frosty
2013-09-18, 04:05 PM
I know share spells allows it, but that's going to be one very confused dinosaur.I agree, and it's still a level 2 spell slot and spell known. At that point I might as well cast Carry companion eh?

VexingFool
2013-09-19, 01:14 AM
I agree, and it's still a level 2 spell slot and spell known. At that point I might as well cast Carry companion eh?

I might be missing something but isn't your animal companion medium sized until level-7? I believe horse and camel start as large animals but the rest start small or medium until they get a size increase at level-4 or 7 depending on their starting size.

If the companion is medium it should be OK for the first 2 chapters of RotRL which covers levels 1-7. The rest of the chapters have lots of fights with large sized creatures so I would assume large size should not be a problem then. I would probably still have something for just in case. Maybe some scrolls of reduce animal that you UMD...

My group is finishing up Chapter 2 this Sunday and I've only skimmed Chapter 3. I think Bluff has been used once, you may use it more but our group is pretty guileless. Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense motive have all been used a fair bit. All Knowledge skills and spellcraft can provide important clues and help tie the story together. Survival(Tracking) comes in handy.

Frosty
2013-09-19, 01:27 AM
Yeah it should be medium until 7. But since you've already played it and you know it won't be an issue, I won't worry about it then :smallsmile:

SO, you only used bluff once, but do you think it could have helped more? Have you guys fought any of the less feral humanoids, since I think Bluff could also handle seduction if we need to pull a fat one.

avr
2013-09-19, 01:31 AM
Share spells will let Reduce Person work just fine - "may cast spells on her animal companion even if the spells do not normally affect creatures of the companion's type." No need to wait for 2nd level spells, so long as the climb/tight space etc lasts less than 1 min/ level.

VexingFool
2013-09-19, 01:58 AM
I can think of some situations where Bluff could have been used by a clever player. But I think alot of this depends on your group and DM and how willing they are to go along with your character.

Chapter 2 has alot of social interraction opportunties.

Frosty
2013-09-19, 02:41 AM
Share spells will let Reduce Person work just fine - "may cast spells on her animal companion even if the spells do not normally affect creatures of the companion's type." No need to wait for 2nd level spells, so long as the climb/tight space etc lasts less than 1 min/ level.Except that my 4-legged dino friend still has no hands with which to climb anything with :smallbiggrin: But yes, tight spaces this will work for.

Dlkpi
2013-09-19, 01:33 PM
Also, don't forget that bluff is used for feints. Not as important if you're not a rogue, but it can be useful in a pinch.