PDA

View Full Version : Running the Blockade

Flame of Anor
2013-09-18, 01:11 PM
So here's the situation: our party is stealing a battleship. We're in the middle of a raid on the enemy dockyards where the ship is near completion. Our submerge ship spell will take effect in another few rounds, so, assuming we survive for that long, we can make like a treant and leave.

If this sounds very, very familiar, I'd appreciate it if you didn't read further.

But we won't be out of the woods at that point. The dockyard is on a river, and to get to our home base we will have to get the ship past a stretch of river which is controlled by the enemy. The Mudslinger-class vessel which we are commandeering is the third of its class, and the other two are between us and our own front lines. Not to mention, you know, the orc army.

Our assets list is pretty good, though. We have a large party with multiple primary casters leveled 11-13 and some quite competent melee and archery types.

So here are my thoughts on tactics; PEACH:

Scout the area, and in particular the depth of the channel, with prying eyes. If we can slip under their ships, so much the better.
Cast submerge ship once in the evening, just before sleeping, and another time just after waking up. Attempt to run the blockade at this point when both will be active (1 hr/lvl duration). If one is dispelled, we can make it through on the other one.
Maybe send a flying, invisible scout with arcane sight to the blockade to identify casters; when making the run, attack and counterspell them.
Have casters with battlemagic perception active for some more chances to counterspell.
If the river is physically blocked, then have everyone who can cast disintegrate in the bow with readied actions to cast. The ship's pilot takes a single (60') move into Medium range; readied disintegrates go off; the ship's pilot takes another move back out of Medium range. Their casters won't be in range for a dispel unless they, too, have readied actions.
Get some lower-level casters with silent image to create an illusory ship on the surface while we hide below the surface--it won't draw their fire for long, but if they waste even one round on it that should be worth the effort.
If the opportunity presents itself, sail under the other battleships and disintegrate large holes in their keels.

As you can see, the tactics are mostly concentrated on counteracting any way the enemy could stop us, since the plan is just to get through ASAP. And the ways of stopping us I've focused on are dispel magic and physical barriers (e.g. ships lined up across the channel).

So can you think of: any other ways they could stop us? any other ways to stop them from stopping us? any flaws in my current plans?

ArcturusV
2013-09-18, 04:38 PM
Only two big ones come to mind.

1) With a two to one advantage for them? You're gonna have to seriously consider the possibility that they may go for boarding actions. Either because they forced to the surface and tried a traditional boarding, or if any of their casters start summoning up Fiendish Dire Sharks or something to get you under water. They PROBABLY want the ship back as their highest priority, so they're less likely to disintegrate your vessel so much as clear the decks and take it back.

2) How do you force disengagement? The problem with Running is... well... your ship are exactly the same. Unless you have something like that spell that moves a boat into the Astral Sea for a jaunt or something (Which I think was level 9 so probably not)... the enemy ships should be able to follow you wherever you go, just waiting for you to pop back up.

So you need to force an engagement on your breakout. I can't really see any way around it. It's not a "if they prevent us from running" but you have to do something to keep them from following you. Could be as simple as just cloudkilling the decks to leaving them undermanned. Burning away their sails, or just leaving your own Celestial Polar Kraken summons in the water behind you to slow them down. But you gotta do something to keep them from just pacing you.

Flame of Anor
2013-09-18, 07:36 PM
2) How do you force disengagement? The problem with Running is... well... your ship are exactly the same.

Look up submerge ship. Unless they also cast it, they won't be able to touch us.

ArcturusV
2013-09-18, 07:40 PM
Give me the rundown, I don't have my books available at the moment. But even if you're underwater, as I'd presume the spell does... what stops them from just following along on the surface until you pop up?

That's the problem with "Sub Hunt" scenarios. Diving/Cloaking in Sci-Fi versions, isn't a magic carpet to invincibility. It just means they follow along until you have to come up sooner or later, or until they can do something to keep you from remaining below (historically something like mines/depth charges, in fantasy that could be anything from Sea Elf Attacks to summoned monsters to just magic bullets of doom).

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-18, 07:59 PM
something comes up, disarms you unarmed of the focus, takes ship to surface.

If you are within 60 ft per CL: they can just sunder the focus.

If you are deeper then above and (they don't care about the ship sinking, or willing to loose the ship to end the problem): they can sunder the focus.

With the fact your using a sor/wiz 7 spell, I'm guessing they can rescue the ship easily enough.

Edit: the only thing keeping them from following them is a 60ft swim speed, so not much.