PDA

View Full Version : I'd like some Gods,please.

D20ragon
2013-09-18, 02:05 PM
I have recently started a homebrew setting (check out the Forsaken lands in world building,if you're curious),and I need some Gods for it.
I am a bit tired of a ton of gods,and would prefer 2 or 3 main deities. Other than that, I really don't have any ideas,so if you do,tell me!

TheifofZ
2013-09-18, 02:19 PM
I have recently started a homebrew setting (check out the Forsaken lands in world building,if you're curious),and I need some Gods for it.
I am a bit tired of a ton of gods,and would prefer 2 or 3 main deities. Other than that, I really don't have any ideas,so if you do,tell me!

Usual culprits include some kind of god of life, light, goodness, and so on, and a god of death, dark, and evil.
How about mixing it up some, depending on the setting, and going with a god of Life and Evil and Light, and another of Death and Good and Darkness. Throw in a third of Nature and Neutrality and Earth and you've got a decent trifecta of gods.
For extra minor gods you could include elder evils, ascended saints, and maybe the odd bit of sentient arcane power for various other spices.

nonsi
2013-09-18, 02:33 PM
Sun
Nature
Death
War
Trickery

The above list represents the fundamental "building blocks" of any pre-industrial society.
Anything less than that would be lacking in my view.

D20ragon
2013-09-18, 03:01 PM
These are both good ideas. Maybe 4 gods, 1 for each season?
Spring:life,summer,light,protection? Still thinking about that one. Autumn: trickery,harvest,death? Death is either Autumn or Winter. Opinions? If Autumns death, what would Winter be?

Kind of talking to myself.:smalltongue:

nonsi
2013-09-18, 03:31 PM
PIE religion tends to merge sun and war deities into a "sky-father" deity. No trickster god though. Curiously, no death god either.

PIE religion also has a forge/blacksmith god, a dawn/spring goddess, a love goddess, a river goddess, and a few more.

The following pair of divine spheres of influence are probably the two most fundamental concepts common to religions:

sky-sun-war-conqueror
nature-earth-harvest-nurturer

Yes. Love/Romance/Passion definitely has its place in any pantheon that respects itself.

the_david
2013-09-18, 03:54 PM
You mentioned the Monster Manual in your other thread so I'm assuming D&D. You've also mentioned that demons serve the devils in hell, which means that there either isn't an Abyss, or you won't be using the great wheel cosmology.

There are 22 domains, divided by 3 deities is 7 or 8 domains per deity. There's an unwritten rule that deities have to take their own alignment as domains, and that they cannot have an alignment domain that doesn't mirror their own alignment. This means that if you make either a CE and a LG deity, or a LE and a CG deity, along with a neutral one you'd cover all the domains, but not all the alignments. This means you'll leave 2 alignments "clericless"

I'd advice you to create 5 deities. One for each alignment domain, and one neutral deity for neutral clerics and druids. (Unless the druids can worship nature instead, make the neutral deity a deity of nature) Give them all 5 domains like they have in Pathfinder, make sure you include all 22 domains. Pick a nice martial weapon for the god of war and you're done.

Ofcourse, this is all pointless if the gods are 100% absent from the setting, but I'm assuming there will be a "Goldmoon" present.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-18, 04:07 PM
From what I can gather from your Forsaken Lands thread, these gods are not exactly kind and merciful gods. Which leads me to ask the following question:

What theme are you going for as far as Divine Powers are concerned?

Should these gods be powerful, mysterious entities of unknown origin? Or are they commonly known entities deeply tied to every day life (like the D&D gods)? Are they active on a daily basis, or are they dormant and distant (like Eberron gods)?

D20ragon
2013-09-18, 04:08 PM
Yes,bloodlines of those favored by the gods during the rule of the empire can still use divine magic.
The Druids worship a nature force called "The Green".

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-18, 04:13 PM
Yes,bloodlines of those favored by the gods during the rule of the empire can still use divine magic.

...was this in response to my question? If so, I'm not sure how it answers any of the questions I've seen thus far in the thread (unless it's to the_david's question about a Goldmoon).

D20ragon
2013-09-18, 04:26 PM
Yes, it was in response to David.

The gods were fairly distant,prefering to let the Dragons and Titans run things,up to a point.

Spring:life,summer,light,protection? Still thinking about that one. Autumn: trickery,harvest,death? Death is either Autumn or Winter. Opinions? If Autumns death, what would Winter be?

Here is an amended version. Spring:Beginings (of anything. War,new year,etc ), life.
Summer:Love,action.
Autumn:harvest,trickster.
Winter:death,endings.

I think that there may be parents of these gods. Light and Dark? Sun and Moon?

Hovannes
2013-09-23, 09:04 PM
Go with 4 major established gods and a new up and coming god. There are only so many worshipers to go around and herein lies the conflict.

You can go with the Good vs Evil or the Chaos vs Law (my favorite) with shades of gray. Either way, the new god on the block does not fit into any cookie cutter mold and he is quite ambitious.

Go forth and create;