PDA

View Full Version : Are there any systems that handle time travel well?

zabbarot
2013-09-18, 02:24 PM
I'm looking for a game that can handle time travel, and that handles some of the weirder aspects of time travel, like players mucking with their own time line. I'd really like something that can handle dead end or damaged timelines and alternate realities spawned though poor decisions. Maybe with some kind of 'paradox' tracker that keeps track of just how confusing you've made things.

So is there a game that's designed for that sort of play or should I start homebrewing?

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-18, 02:28 PM
There are a lot of RPGs with time travel, but the sadly elusive Continuum is the only one that has managed to pique my interest, and I usually dislike time travel in fiction. If you can somehow find it, it might be worth a look.

Leewei
2013-09-18, 05:19 PM
Feng Shui, if you can still find a copy out there. :smallamused:

TheCountAlucard
2013-09-18, 05:45 PM
The Gamers II: Dorkness Rising had a reference to one, but I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Mordar
2013-09-18, 07:52 PM
I'm looking for a game that can handle time travel, and that handles some of the weirder aspects of time travel, like players mucking with their own time line. I'd really like something that can handle dead end or damaged timelines and alternate realities spawned though poor decisions. Maybe with some kind of 'paradox' tracker that keeps track of just how confusing you've made things.

So is there a game that's designed for that sort of play or should I start homebrewing?

May I present (without fear of dating myself), a proud member of the PaceSetter family...Timemaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timemaster)! It has been (literally) decades since I looked at it/played it, but it was an excellent "time cop" game that played smoothly and brought about lots of opportunity for time paradox discussion, silly shenanigans and sleep-dart hi-jinks.

Best of all (and a huge surprise to me!) it appears to be offered electronically by Goblinoid Games (http://goblinoidgames.com/timemaster.html) (no affiliation, I promise!) along with a bunch of the published scenarios.

If you don't recognize Pacesetter, they were perhaps best known for Chill, a very early paranormal investigation game that, along with Call of C'thulhu set the table for the genre. They also had Space Ace, a light-and-fluffy space RPG, and Wabbit Wampage, the best board game ever...featuring nasty farmers and rabbits that can order nuclear devices from ACME :smallcool:

- M

zabbarot
2013-09-18, 09:37 PM
A couple of the reviews I saw for continuum mentioned Timemaster. Continuum, unfortunately is probably off the table seeing as a used copy of their 240 page paperback costs more than a brand new hard cover of Dark Heresy. A new copy is $140, and even ignoring that the reviews are all basically love it or hate it and half the love its claim the game is basically too complicated to be playable :| they did go on about how amazing the fluff is though.

I'll look into timemaster though.