PDA

View Full Version : Crusaders and Multiclassing (And map questions)

Auramis
2013-09-18, 05:31 PM
After deliberation in my house, we're starting over with a new campaign at level 1. I've decided to play a Crusader (Silverbrow Human race for flavor). I was wondering if there was anything worth multiclassing with Crusader. I was thinking about Marshal, to increase the amount of auras I'm throwing out, but I also think going straight Crusader is fine. Suggestions?

Also, at the request of my Dungeon Master, I was wodnering if there was any program out there that could help him create a world map.

JaronK
2013-09-18, 05:34 PM
In general, due to their weird stance progression and the way Martial Adepts multiclass, I'd recommend taking a few levels early on (perhaps the second and third) in another class. 4 levels over the course of 20, or just 2 if you're not playing that long.

Fighter can be solid. Martial isn't a bad idea but loses BAB. Warblade is a great choice.

JaronK

aeauseth
2013-09-18, 05:41 PM
Never hurts to consult the Crusader Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181655).

In general I'd suggest sticking with a combination of martial adept classes unless you’re aiming for a PrC. I personally enjoy tossing in a few levels of Warblade for the Diamond Mind maneuvers.

Firechanter
2013-09-18, 05:54 PM
A. Up to 4 levels of Knight, if you can deal with the borderline Lawful Stupid code. Actually this is the big turnoff that prevents me from taking Knight levels with my Crusie. But if you feel you can swing it (or your DM is okay with relaxing it), some Knight levels will:
* improve your Aggro drawing
* improve your Lockdown skills,
* improve your mobility (if you wear Med armour; Mithral Fullplate qualifies)
* give you some extra HP

B. Paladin or Cleric, going for RKV. This is a very powerful PrC. There've been some threads on RKV builds just recently.

C. Bard 4, to take Song of White Raven and be a Bard-Sader. As a Silverbrow human, this is pretty good because you can take Dragonfire Inspiration. Which again is not such a great improvement in itself, but awesome if you have _another_ Bard in the party, so one can IC regularly and the other one can DFI.

--

Generally, Crusader is a very good melee class, but due to the lack of a capstone, it's actually not worth to single-class it. Generally I'd take either 8 or 14 levels total, unless we're talking a dip here.

So it really depends what you want to be. More Defender, more Leader, or more Spellcaster?

Auramis
2013-09-18, 06:11 PM
The Crusader handbook looks amazing. I'll give it a look over. I've already realized a few changes I may make in selecting feats.

As per what I want my role to be, I aimed to be a protector, but I also intend to have a good role as public relations in the party. Crusaders are generally well received by commoners, if I'm good (and I am Lawful Good).

I was considering taking Able Learner (RoD) and Protection Devotion (CC) as my feats, but I think I may end up switching Protection Devotion in favor of Extra Granted Maneuver (ToB). Able Learner is good, since it lets me use 1 point for cross class skills, but, the more I think about it, the more I think I shouldn't worry about skills as much as I should in my role as a tank.

Knight seems good for that reason. With the Dragonscale Husk ACF, the medium armor buff for knight would be amazing, and the rough terrain feature they get is god tier. A challenge with paladin multiclass would be that we only use PrC Paladin in our house, so I'd be required to go into cleric before moving up. That's not necessarily bad, I think, but I worry about using too many levels in other classes.

Firechanter
2013-09-18, 06:42 PM
Yes, Extra Granted Maneuver is pretty much a Must for the Crusader, while Able Learner is not really worth it for this class.
The point of Able Learner is that you can gather class skills as a multiclass, which is only worth it if you have good Int. Particularly when you can collect Knowledge skills and invest in Knowledge Devotion. Crusader however has no Int synergy, so there are better things to spend your stat points on. So, Able Learner only if you can make use of it.

That said, a dip into (Cloistered) Cleric is not the dumbest thing you could do. If you do that, get consider getting Law Devotion.

Auramis
2013-09-18, 06:51 PM
I should add that we use a slightly variant marshal than the one that's in the MH. My DM edited Marshal to have a D10 hit die, a full BAB, and a bonus feat every five levels (from a list that suit marshal, of course). We figured that it would pull Marshal up to lower T3, since it's T4 as it is now, so it makes it a bit more appealing.

Neat as Cloistered Cleric is, I would favor a more physical combat oriented multiclass. I'm pretty much sticking to looking between paladin, marshal, or knight for that reason. Dragon Lord seemed like it could be interesting later on, but they're VERY much large scale group oriented, and we're not a very large party with no intention of anyone taking Leadership.

navar100
2013-09-18, 06:53 PM
If you're up to it Master Of Nine helps a Crusader, but admittedly it's tough. The feat cost is a harsh. If you can, multiclass two levels in swordsage with the unarmored variant to save a feat. Otherwise, multi-classing two levels in swordsage or warblade will do to get maneuvers from 6 disciplines.

Because every level of Master of Nine gives you another readied maneuver it is also granted as per Crusader. You will have so many maneuvers the randomness and the few withheld at first are almost not noticed. When I did this, along with Extra Granted Maneuver feat by the time I reached 18th level overall I had 11 maneuvers readied, 9 granted to start, and refreshed every three rounds.

Of course this means you're relying on your maneuvers for your combat tactics and not feats. Shadow Hand teleports for maneuverability. Diamond Mind saving throws for magical defense. White Raven party support. Devoted Spirit and Stone Dragon strikes. You can even throw in a couple of Desert Wind boosts for extra damage when fire use is not a problem.

Or maybe not. Nothing wrong sticking with Crusader and taking more useful feats. Multi-classing Warblade I think is better for an easier maneuver recovery. Diamond Mind still gives you the saving throws, and Iron Heart helps with weapon tactics. Plus, you would want Iron Heart Surge.

John Longarrow
2013-09-18, 07:07 PM
1 or 2 level dips into full BAB classes generally work really well. If you do dip, look for a class that gives you an immediate benefit of that fills in for a bad save. From the PHB, Barbarian gives your rage/fast movement, fighter extra feats, and Ranger better Ref save. I'd only dip Ranger if I was already dipping Barbarian, that way you have enough skill points in Survival to make Track usefu.

Unless it adds directly to your core strengths (maneuvers, BAB, special abilities), I'd skill taking any class levels. That means I'd stop taking fighter after my 2nd level, Barbarian after 2 (may want uncanny dodge, but trap sense is mostly useless), and Ranger after 1.

The big exception is if you want some spell casting. Decide what you want the magic for FIRST, then try to work it in. As a lawful good character, dipping a level in wizard or sorcerer at 2nd for shield wouldn't be bad. You can then work your way into dragon slayer and abjurant champion later, with one level in each letting a wizard cast luminous armor. Finish Abjurant Champion and you get really good magic armor.

Just remember, if you take 6 non-initiator levels before you get your last levels in Crusader you can still get top end maneuvers.

Auramis
2013-09-18, 07:58 PM
After looking it over, I realized Crusader gets top end maneuvers by level 9, but I'd go in until 13 for Mettle. I was thinking of 5 levels in knight for the medium armor movement, rough terrain, and tumble prevention and 2 levels in Marshal in addition to that, for the sake of getting two auras. That'd make it so I'd have 3 auras, if we count my stances. If I get the Draconic Aura feat, that'd give me another aura as well.

I could also simply forgo the 2 levels in Marshal in favor of more levels in either knight or crusader.

Nepenthe
2013-09-18, 08:41 PM
In response to your other question: AutoREALM (http://sourceforge.net/projects/autorealm/) can do world-scale, dungeon-scale or anywhere in between.

Auramis
2013-09-18, 11:13 PM
Just had an "ew" moment when looking over feats. I was considering going into shield specialization feats, to complement the knight's bonus to shields and to give myself extra armor when I remembered that Dragonscale Husk doesn't stack with feats, racial traits, or abilities that grant armor, effectively making my knight's shield mastery and the shield specialization feat useless. How the husk can prevent me from using my shield better, I have no idea. It also makes me worried that abilities like protection devotion would work on me (it says abilities can't grant benefits, and this is a spell-like ability).

Should I avoid this class feature? It has nice scaling (6+1/3 character level to AC and 5 resistance to cold, fire, electricity, and acid every 5 levels), but it makes any other sources of armor useless, unless they're magical or actually armor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-18, 11:35 PM
Dragonscale Husk doesn't stack with armor, but it doesn't say anything about shields. You should still be able to use a shield without any issues with that, and the Shield Specialization line of feats will also work normally for you.

Probably biggest drawback is that you can't benefit from an enhancement bonus to armor. You could get clothing or a robe that's enchanted as though it's armor to get equipment with armor special abilites, which would require putting an enhancement bonus to armor on the clothes first which wouldn't stack with your dragonscale husk. You'll still be able to get something like Fortification or the Soulfire armor property, just not an actual bonus to armor. However, you're better off getting a Gemstone of Fortification from the Draconomicon (dragon items section) instead of getting the armor or shield version due to cost.

Definitely get Extra Granted Maneuver as it just gives you more options and lets you use your maneuvers more often. Take flaws if you can, I'd get Combat Reflexes, EWP: Kusari-Gama (DMG p144-145), and Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill). Note that a Stand Still attack will still trigger Martial Spirit.

For a two-level dip, consider getting Dragonfire Adept, and pick up Entangling Exhalation from Races of the Dragon. That will give you +2 natural armor, a breath attack that debuffs opponents and deals periodic damage, and an all-day buff which I'd probably get Endure Exposure or See the Unseen. With dragonscale husk you won't even have any arcane spell failure, though a shield will still affect your ability to use invocations but not your breath attack. It will delay your dragonscale husk's progress by two levels, but that +2 natural armor should more than make up for it. Definitely get the cold or electric breath attack first in case you run into fire immune opponents, I'd go with electric in case you need the range. Keeping opponents entangled will make it more difficult for them to get past you to attack the rest of your party, plus it will reduce their chances of resisting Stand Still.

John Longarrow
2013-09-18, 11:38 PM
Auramis

You won't get 9th level maneuvers until your initiator level is 17. Works a lot like spells that way.

Auramis
2013-09-18, 11:51 PM
So, the husk prevents anything that would add to the "Armor Bonus" part of the armor class, then? It's been called dysfunctional (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13947180&postcount=911) here before, so, naturally, I'm confused on the exact rules on it. I'll likely have to talk with my dungeon master about it later.

I'm sticking with Crusader and Knight, for the most part, with a minor dip in Marshal later (though that's trivial and can be switched out if needed), so I won't be going into Dragonfire Adept. We much as I like the dragon flavored stuff, a Silverbrow Human with the Husk is enough dragon flavor for me.

Auramis
2013-09-18, 11:54 PM
Auramis

You won't get 9th level maneuvers until your initiator level is 17. Works a lot like spells that way.

Oop, found the chart with that information. That's bloody confusing that they'd put "ClassName LevelN" on the required "level" for a maneuver when that means something else entirely. Thanks for pointing that out to me. If it's not obvious by now, I'm new to this Initiator business.

That changed my build rather effectively to just crusader 16 and knight 4.

Gwendol
2013-09-19, 06:08 AM
The knight's shield block ability does not explicitly need a shield to function:

Shield Block (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, you excel in using your armor and shield to frustrate your enemy's attacks. During your action, designate a single opponent as the target of this ability. Your shield bonus to AC against that foe increases by 1, as you move your shield to defl ect an incoming blow, possibly providing just enough protection to turn a telling swing into a near miss.

This shield bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 20th level.

Bolded for emphasis. The text is a little confusing and you may be able to convince your DM to allow you to get +1 shield bonus to AC from just armor alone.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-19, 06:23 AM
Oop, found the chart with that information. That's bloody confusing that they'd put "ClassName LevelN" on the required "level" for a maneuver when that means something else entirely. Thanks for pointing that out to me. If it's not obvious by now, I'm new to this Initiator business.

It works exactly like spells. Fireball is listed as "Sorcerer/Wizard 3", which requires a Wizard to be level 5 or a Sorcerer to be level 6.

Have you also never played a spellcaster?

PersonMan
2013-09-19, 06:32 AM
Based on his signature, he doesn't have much experience with spellcasting.

Darrin
2013-09-19, 09:43 AM
A two-level dip is recommended as the Crusader capstone is a bit meh and this delays your stance progression enough to get a 5th level stance at Crusader 8, when your IL = 9.0 (Press the Advantage recommended).

You get the most bang for you buck with Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Warblade 1.

If you're doing anything with reach weapons, lockdown, etc., then Spirit Lion Totem + Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 to pick up Improved Trip is also very nice.

Gwendol
2013-09-19, 09:46 AM
Darrin, the OP is sticking to LG, which may put a damper on the barbarian.

John Longarrow
2013-09-19, 10:29 AM
I've been thinking about it a bit, and if you want to do "Public Relations" for your party, dipping in Marshal for Diplomacy and auras wouldn't be bad.

The biggest question is what would you like to emphasize? I'm assuming you are gunning for "Party Face" along with general combat, so doing a build as crusader(1)-Paladin(1)-Paladin(2)-Crusader(2)-Marshal(1) could be a lot of fun for your first five levels. You may want to shift those around a little, but I'd recommned taking two non-crusader levels early so you qualify for your 2nd level maneuver when you take your 2nd level of crusader.

When I mix crusader into a build, I like doing it at 5th character level. This lets me take a good selection of 1st and 2nd level maneuvers from the start.

Auramis
2013-09-19, 10:46 AM
It works exactly like spells. Fireball is listed as "Sorcerer/Wizard 3", which requires a Wizard to be level 5 or a Sorcerer to be level 6.

Have you also never played a spellcaster?

I have. As I said, though, I'm just new to the initiator. It was also around 1am when I was posting. I may have been half awake and half in another world entirely by that point. >_>

Based on his signature, he doesn't have much experience with spellcasting.

Heeyyyyy, clerics and paladins wear platemail. :smalltongue:

Auramis
2013-09-19, 10:52 AM
I've been thinking about it a bit, and if you want to do "Public Relations" for your party, dipping in Marshal for Diplomacy and auras wouldn't be bad.

The biggest question is what would you like to emphasize? I'm assuming you are gunning for "Party Face" along with general combat, so doing a build as crusader(1)-Paladin(1)-Paladin(2)-Crusader(2)-Marshal(1) could be a lot of fun for your first five levels. You may want to shift those around a little, but I'd recommned taking two non-crusader levels early so you qualify for your 2nd level maneuver when you take your 2nd level of crusader.

When I mix crusader into a build, I like doing it at 5th character level. This lets me take a good selection of 1st and 2nd level maneuvers from the start.

I toyed around with the idea of, instead of dipping into Knight for 4 levels, getting a single level in cleric and then going into PrC Paladin (we only use this version of paladin in our house). By level 3 in PrC Paladin, you get all of its best benefits (mount/variant ability, aura of good, aura of courage, LoH, DG, and DH). I would also get Turn Undead, which I could use to fuel Domain feats I'd get from cleric. I'd forgo the domain spells in favor of the feats.

I'd be sacrificing some of the cool abilities from knight for that, though. I could do both, but then I'd drop myself down from having level 8 maneuvers to only level 6 ones. I wouldn't get the ever so lovely Shield Counter, in that case, and I intended to get that. I may drop 2 levels in Crusader for Marshal, though, resulting in Crusader 14, Knight 4, and Marshal 2, but then I could get White Raven Hammer, which looks like a god tier level ability... Level 9 abilities, nice as they are, I can live without.

Auramis
2013-09-19, 11:11 AM
The knight's shield block ability does not explicitly need a shield to function:

Bolded for emphasis. The text is a little confusing and you may be able to convince your DM to allow you to get +1 shield bonus to AC from just armor alone.

In that same description:

Your shield bonus to AC against that foe increases by 1, as you move your shield to deflect an incoming blow, possibly providing just enough protection to turn a telling swing into a near miss.

Shields are most definitely needed to "shield block."

Darrin
2013-09-19, 11:54 AM
Darrin, the OP is sticking to LG, which may put a damper on the barbarian.

Ah! Sorry, missed that.

Fighter 1/Warblade 1 should work dandy, then.

If you need an aura, I'd recommend just taking the Draconic Aura feat (Dragon Magic), and ask your DM if you're restricted to the Dragon Magic auras or if you can pick something from PHBII.

Auramis
2013-09-19, 01:13 PM
Ah! Sorry, missed that.

Fighter 1/Warblade 1 should work dandy, then.

If you need an aura, I'd recommend just taking the Draconic Aura feat (Dragon Magic), and ask your DM if you're restricted to the Dragon Magic auras or if you can pick something from PHBII.

I don't necessarily need one, but I think it'd be nice to have.

Looking them over, the Draconic Auras are nice (particularly the Senses, Resistance, and any that affect saves), but I think I much prefer the Marshal Auras. Is there a way for a player to get Marshal Auras as a feat without actually stepping into Marshal, or would that have to be house ruled?

John Longarrow
2013-09-19, 02:16 PM
Something special to remember when building an initiator. They count all levels in their class plus one half all other levels.

As such, Crusader 1 = Initiator 1. Crusader 1, then 2 levels in Knight = Initiator 2 for a character level of 3. Taking your 2nd level in crusader for your 4th character level would give you Crusader 2 Knight 2 for an initiator level of 3.

This means you can have 14 levels in Crusader + 6 in other classes and still have an initiator level of 17 at 20th.

This is why I like taking my first level in Crusader as my characters 5th character level. Means I get some handy DR ignoring maneuvers that will stay useful for a long time.

Gwendol
2013-09-19, 02:19 PM
In that same description:

Shields are most definitely needed to "shield block."

Unless it's more of a stylistic choice in the sentence. Or do you mean the shield block is impossible unless the knight is also armored based on the text I bolded?

The ability just adds a shield bonus to AC, it says nothing about actually having to have one in the first place. 0+1=1 after all.

Compare with the description of the benefit of the shield specialization feat (which confers a similar benefit):

Benefit
Choose one type of shield from the following list: buckler, heavy, or light. When using a shield of the appropriate type, you increase its shield bonus to AC by 1.

Auramis
2013-09-19, 05:09 PM
Something special to remember when building an initiator. They count all levels in their class plus one half all other levels.

As such, Crusader 1 = Initiator 1. Crusader 1, then 2 levels in Knight = Initiator 2 for a character level of 3. Taking your 2nd level in crusader for your 4th character level would give you Crusader 2 Knight 2 for an initiator level of 3.

This means you can have 14 levels in Crusader + 6 in other classes and still have an initiator level of 17 at 20th.

This is why I like taking my first level in Crusader as my characters 5th character level. Means I get some handy DR ignoring maneuvers that will stay useful for a long time.

... see, THAT, I didn't know. That's AWESOME!

This thread's quickly making me realize how my haphazard and lazy reading of the ToB has made me miss a lot.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-19, 05:14 PM
Also, at the request of my Dungeon Master, I was wodnering if there was any program out there that could help him create a world map.

AutoREALM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoREALM). Freeware on Sourceforge.

Manly Man
2013-09-19, 05:52 PM
Usually, I just stick with straight Crusader levels. Now, it's pretty suboptimal, but it really just works, y'know? If you do want to spice it up a bit, I'd probably do my first level (maybe two) as a Swordsage, take four as a Knight to get the ability you'd been looking at, and finish the rest as a Crusader, or even another level as a Swordsage or Warblade if I didn't take the second one at level two.

Something like this:

SS 1/Kn 4/SS (or WB) 1/Cr 14. You'll have good skill points to start with, a decent selection of skills to spend them on, good saves all around (except for your Reflex, but that's something you'd be tough enough to grit your teeth and just bear it), and BAB +19.

Auramis
2013-09-19, 06:46 PM
I think I'm going to go with a level progression that looks like this:

Crusader 1-4 to Knight 1-4 to Crusader 5-6 to Knight 5-6 to Crusader 7-14.

Two classes fits what I'm comfortable with, and it gets me into Knight enough to get the ability to shield others. That way, should someone actually manage to ignore me, I can take half damage from my allies for delayed damage pool, along with getting the best bits of field control from Knight to go with Crusader. Seems like a pretty good tank, by my count.

Now that I have that squared, feat suggestions, anyone? Exta Granted Maneuver is a given. I was thinking of getting Shield Specialization for extra armor, improved initiative, Combat Reflexes for that maneuver that grants me AoO on people who ignore me, and Intimidating Strike for better tanking. Beyond that, it's up for debate.

Manly Man
2013-09-19, 11:09 PM
It's Thicket of Blades, and it's a stance that makes enemies making any kind of movement provoke an attack of opportunity before they actually move. They can't withdraw, and they can't take a 5-foot step without eating an attack. I usually rule that they can't make a Tumble check without being attacked either, though I've had player try and call foul on that one.

Power Attack, obviously, is fantabulous. Stone Power is also awesomesauce (kinda like Power Attack, except that you get healed for it instead of doing extra damage), and makes you just that much harder to kill. You really can't go wrong with either of those. Sudden Recovery is great if there's a maneuver that you really think you need to use again immediately (strike of righteous vitality, anyone?), as well.

Auramis
2013-09-20, 12:39 AM
It's Thicket of Blades, and it's a stance that makes enemies making any kind of movement provoke an attack of opportunity before they actually move. They can't withdraw, and they can't take a 5-foot step without eating an attack. I usually rule that they can't make a Tumble check without being attacked either, though I've had player try and call foul on that one.

Power Attack, obviously, is fantabulous. Stone Power is also awesomesauce (kinda like Power Attack, except that you get healed for it instead of doing extra damage), and makes you just that much harder to kill. You really can't go wrong with either of those. Sudden Recovery is great if there's a maneuver that you really think you need to use again immediately (strike of righteous vitality, anyone?), as well.

Stone Power, I was definitely looking at. Power Attack isn't as much of a concern, since I'm not as concerned with dealing damage to my opponents, but it's a possibility.

I was actually talking about Defensive Rebuke. :smalltongue: I was really happy when I saw that boost. Combined with Iron Guard's Glare, it makes me the most appealing target, which is what I want the enemy to think. I don't want them to avoid me.

Auramis
2013-09-20, 12:43 AM
AutoREALM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoREALM). Freeware on Sourceforge.

Perfect! Thanks, Fax. :smallsmile:

Manly Man
2013-09-20, 01:27 AM
Stone Power, I was definitely looking at. Power Attack isn't as much of a concern, since I'm not as concerned with dealing damage to my opponents, but it's a possibility.

I was actually talking about Defensive Rebuke. :smalltongue: I was really happy when I saw that boost. Combined with Iron Guard's Glare, it makes me the most appealing target, which is what I want the enemy to think. I don't want them to avoid me.

Definitely. Aim for a reach weapon as well; glaives are fun, and I once had a gestalt Crusader//Knight that I still pull out once in awhile whose main weapon was a morning star, but his signature one was actually an intelligent bardiche named Corbin. That was quite fun as well; I did use the Pathfinder stats on that one though, since it is a polearm, and it doesn't get reach for some reason in 3.5.

Alternatively, there's always the spiked chain, if you think sparing the feat for it is worthwhile; a reach weapon that can hit adjacent enemies is tasty.

Auramis
2013-09-20, 01:42 AM
Definitely. Aim for a reach weapon as well; glaives are fun, and I once had a gestalt Crusader//Knight that I still pull out once in awhile whose main weapon was a morning star, but his signature one was actually an intelligent bardiche named Corbin. That was quite fun as well; I did use the Pathfinder stats on that one though, since it is a polearm, and it doesn't get reach for some reason in 3.5.

Alternatively, there's always the spiked chain, if you think sparing the feat for it is worthwhile; a reach weapon that can hit adjacent enemies is tasty.

I was considering a glaive, but I decided to settle on sword and board. A sword is closer to a scimitar, which is one of the weapons that's stated as one of Bahamut's favorite weapons (he's had scimitar/claw and pick/bite listed before, so it's not clear which). The idea of a gallant Crusader/Knight with a sword and shield is always an inspiring one, too.

Going for reach would result in me using up two feats, too. I'd get Weapon Focus to Qualify for Short Haft, for the sake of fighting anyone who actually manages to move within 5ft of me. The shield is more feat efficient.

Manly Man
2013-09-20, 01:58 AM
I was considering a glaive, but I decided to settle on sword and board. A sword is closer to a scimitar, which is one of the weapons that's stated as one of Bahamut's favorite weapons (he's had scimitar/claw and pick/bite listed before, so it's not clear which). The idea of a gallant Crusader/Knight with a sword and shield is always an inspiring one, too.

Indeed. It really makes me wish that sword 'n board fighting was given more support, it could have been so much better. Something like a defensive two-weapon fighting style. Unfortunately, such is not the case, but if damage isn't what you're aiming for anyway, the sword-plus-shield thing seems viable enough. Just don't expect to lay waste to any enemy you come across in a round or two.

Auramis
2013-09-20, 02:05 AM
Indeed. It really makes me wish that sword 'n board fighting was given more support, it could have been so much better. Something like a defensive two-weapon fighting style. Unfortunately, such is not the case, but if damage isn't what you're aiming for anyway, the sword-plus-shield thing seems viable enough. Just don't expect to lay waste to any enemy you come across in a round or two.

There actually is support for two weapon fighting with a shield in the PHII. It eats feats the same way Two Weapon fighting would, but it's a nice bit of flavor. :smallbiggrin:

Shield Specialization (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/shield-specialization--2594/) and Improved Shield Bash (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-v35--6/improved-shield-bash--1552/) let you qualify for Agile Shield Fighter (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/agile-shield-fighter--51/), which lets you full attack with a shield bash while still retaining AC with only a -2 penalty. I deeply considered going into this, but a lot of Crusader revolves around using Standard Actions for strikes, so there's not as much time to full attack as I'd like. At least, I assume so.

Gwendol
2013-09-20, 02:44 AM
Look at the shield charge (and shield slam) feat(s) then, to go with your White Raven maneuvers.