PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] druid/planar shepard help

Ketiara
2013-09-18, 06:56 PM
So another thread by me asking for help.

So im a druid/ps and Im now able to turn into a tulani (BoE p. 171)
Beastlands is my plane and my argument for that being a plane that has tulanis is they describe it as housing eladrin. (If im wrong please correct me)

The main reason im writing is im not quite sure what abilities i get when ws'ing into a tulani . I do know that all Su, Ex and sla is good to go

But wich of these do I get?
Special Qualities: Acid and cold resistance 10, alternate
form, bardic music, eladrin subtype, damage reduction 15/cold iron or unholy, protective aura, spell resistance 30, tongues, +4 racial bonus on saves against poison.
And is there any diffrence if I dont take the 10 th lvl of PS that makes me an outsider of my plane?

Thanks in advance

Ketiara
2013-09-19, 11:15 AM
Anyone able to help me?

Svata
2013-09-19, 04:07 PM
Dude, you're a planar shepard. What do you need help for?

bekeleven
2013-09-19, 04:24 PM
In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, you gain all the elemental or outsider's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities.

You gain everything but spellcasting that's listed under "Special Qualities" or "Special Attacks".

That said, you retain:

Mental ability scores
Your BAB and Base Saves
Your HP
Your spellcasting

Wild Shape in detail (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules)

In addition to the caster level boost, the 10th level of PS gives you the outsider subtype, which grants martial weapon proficiency, immunity to [_] Person spells, and a few other benefits. Plus, obviously, the damage reduction (which barely matters at this level).

Ketiara
2013-09-23, 08:48 AM
You gain everything but spellcasting that's listed under "Special Qualities" or "Special Attacks".

That said, you retain:

Mental ability scores
Your BAB and Base Saves
Your HP
Your spellcasting

Wild Shape in detail (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules)

In addition to the caster level boost, the 10th level of PS gives you the outsider subtype, which grants martial weapon proficiency, immunity to [_] Person spells, and a few other benefits. Plus, obviously, the damage reduction (which barely matters at this level).

But it says i get the Ex, Su and SLA. All those are under special attacks. But all the special abilities doesnt have the Ex, Su or SLA descriptor. Now english isnt my native language so if someone could explain how I'm misunderstanding the text since I'm not certain my PS gets bardic music etc.

Thanks in advance.

bekeleven
2013-09-23, 12:42 PM
But it says i get the Ex, Su and SLA. All those are under special attacks. But all the special abilities doesnt have the Ex, Su or SLA descriptor. Now english isnt my native language so if someone could explain how I'm misunderstanding the text since I'm not certain my PS gets bardic music etc.

Thanks in advance.

Damage reduction, resistances, and spell resistance are all Ex or Su (depending on a few factors, but the distinction doesn't matter right now). You don't gain the Eladrin subtype, but you gain all the abilities it gives. This distinction is small and rarely comes up. Racial bonuses to skills and saves are always (Ex).

All abilities are divided into Ex, Su, Sp, or spellcasting (by a really strict reading of RAW spellcasting is in another category but let's ignore that unless curmudgeon posts). So when you gain all the Ex, Su and Sp: You gain everything but spellcasting that's listed. Incidentally, Bardic Music might fall under the nebulous "spellcasting" header; I'd talk to your DM about it.

Ketiara
2013-09-23, 01:40 PM
Damage reduction, resistances, and spell resistance are all Ex or Su (depending on a few factors, but the distinction doesn't matter right now). You don't gain the Eladrin subtype, but you gain all the abilities it gives. This distinction is small and rarely comes up. Racial bonuses to skills and saves are always (Ex).

All abilities are divided into Ex, Su, Sp, or spellcasting (by a really strict reading of RAW spellcasting is in another category but let's ignore that unless curmudgeon posts). So when you gain all the Ex, Su and Sp: You gain everything but spellcasting that's listed. Incidentally, Bardic Music might fall under the nebulous "spellcasting" header; I'd talk to your DM about it.

Yea the problem isnt the DM, but more one of the other guys at the table. Ill ofc do my best not to steal thunder with this build, but I fear I might have to - at some point - show some page numbers where it says that the resistance and dmg reduction is a SU/EX eventhough it isnt written next to them.
The stuff bards can do with bardic music is all listed as either SU or SP. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm)

bekeleven
2013-09-23, 02:34 PM
Yea the problem isnt the DM, but more one of the other guys at the table.If you're having trouble with guys at the table you shouldn't be playing planar shepard. It's that simple. You're on the high end of tier 1 as a druid and planar shepard is one of few ways to make the druid better, at everything (Moonspeaker and Lion of Talisid at least give up some wild shape levels, and Heirophant and Lyricist at least require you to dip something else for a couple of levels).

If you were trying not to steal the show you messed up. You messed up every time you took a level in planar shepherd and you messed up again when you started turning into outsiders and arguing with other players about it.

A druid's animal companion is tier 4+ with buffs. A druid's spellcasting is tier1-2. And wild shape is tier 3. If you want to stop stealing the show as a druid, go into:

A full spellcasting prestige (there are a ton in complete divine or any other splat)

Or Master of Many Forms.

Dip beastmaster 1 and grab natural bond and your companion won't even suffer, but you'll at least give up 1 of your 3 incredibly powerful abilities. As opposed to Planar shepherd, which keeps your companion powerful, keeps your spells powerful, moves your wild shape to tier 1, and gives you extra high-powered abilities too.

Ketiara
2013-09-23, 04:21 PM
Well, again I think Ive not explained myself good enough. The thing is Im really the only one that is there every time we play. That means we are missing a bard half the times, a tank the other half a divine caster but mostly a offensive caster... I would like to fill in for those when needed.
I might match or surpass some people in our group at different occasions, but since im not gonna use the opportunities that will grant me free standart actions, it will always payoff for me to use abilities others cant give.

I know that playing a PS is by default overpowered, but I plan on playing him low op.

And for that I actually need some help with feats. Im getting:
keep in mind that ill be starting as lvl 12 (druid5/PS7)
Human: Greensinger initiate: for preq and fluff
Lvl1: Gatekeeper initiate: For fluff, incidentally it helps out with the knowledge
Lvl3: Power Attack: I know its a low op feat for this, but I want it.
Lvl6: Natural spell
Lvl9: Extend spell? Feel like buffing myself and others, but other meta feat suggestions is welcome.
lvl12: something that helps out with improving powerattack damage! could be charge, cleave or something, but I have a hard time deciding. Shock trooper also requres imp bullrush and that sucks :D
lvl15: Craft Contingent spell! I want!
lvl 18: ?!?

Ive never played past lvl 13, so im out of my comfort zone. Im nowhere near as good at optimizing as you all are, and it isnt my goal. I will - the moment I feel that playing a PS is killing the fun for the others, the dm and me - wipe out the char. I just fits the DM's adventure so perfectly!.

perhaps if any of you have given it some thought, you might have ideas how to take it down to a normal t1 (as a normal druid) but still with the PS flavour?! - how would you do it?

Clistenes
2013-09-25, 07:26 PM
Out of curiosity...which do you think would be the best associated Plane for a Planar Shepherd?

Failed Phantasm
2013-09-25, 07:37 PM
Dal Quor and Xoriat have heavily abusable time traits that make your planar bubbles absurdly powerful: for every 10 minutes on Dal Quor, only 1 minute passes on the Material; for every minute you spend on Xoriat, an hour passes on the Material.

If you'd rather not have a book thrown at you, though, Lamannia and Shavarath are a solid choices because of the huge list of creatures that are native to either plane.

EDIT: I might be mistaken on the unit of time for Dal Quor, but I know it's 10:1 for something. Rounds, maybe?

Karnith
2013-09-25, 09:01 PM
EDIT: I might be mistaken on the unit of time for Dal Quor, but I know it's 10:1 for something. Rounds, maybe?
Unless it's been updated outside of the Eberron Campaign Setting, Dal Quor does indeed have the flowing time trait that makes 10 minutes on Dal Quor equal to 1 minute on the Material Plane.