PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Constructs?

Tvtyrant
2013-09-18, 08:31 PM
The Craft Psionic Construct feat allows you to construct psionic constructs, but as far as I can tell this amounts to a grand total of 2 creatures. Is there any others beyond the Psion Killer and Psycrystals?

Psyren
2013-09-18, 08:39 PM
Psion-Killers too if you use the XPH errata.

But I'd recommend disregarding the feat and instead applying the MiC rules to Craft Construct.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-18, 08:43 PM
I believe MiC has a footnote somewhere in the back that leads in the direction of the psionic crafting feats able to make just about anything that normal crafting feat analogues can make. That's certainly how I'd interpret it, as otherwise that feat is of seriously limited use.

But in my game, I don't even use the Craft Construct feats. Constructs are cool, but not cool enough to require two feats as pre-reqs and a third feat that will be used only a few times for anything but a devoted golem-crafter. In 3.0, one just needed Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms & Armour, and that didn't seem so broke.

But, in any case, I'd just remove that word "psionic" and treat the feat like the normal Craft Construct thingy.

EDIT: Psyren'd. Darn, should have limited my nostalgia.

Rubik
2013-09-18, 08:45 PM
As Psyren said, you can craft magic items with psionic feats and powers comparable to the required spells. So as long as you have those, you can craft constructs.

If I were doing a psionics rewrite, I'd also allow astral constructs to be turned into permanent creations if the manifester can craft psionic constructs. I'd say a base price of (500 * HD2) gp should be fair. Still expensive, but it could work. You just choose the construct's appearance and which menu options it gains from the start, and then it's all up to the crafting rules after that.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-18, 09:21 PM
If I were doing a psionics rewrite, I'd also allow astral constructs to be turned into permanent creations if the manifester can craft psionic constructs. I'd say a base price of (500 * HD2) gp should be fair. Still expensive, but it could work. You just choose the construct's appearance and which menu options it gains from the start, and then it's all up to the crafting rules after that.

Nice. I'm stealing that. Rubik, you have some killer ideas.

I'd add in some more cool, like the constructs can be collapsed into ectoplasm or stored in a small container, then can be activated or summoned. Or maybe they can assume an amorphous shape.

The coolest thing is that astral constructs are massively more modular than constructs presented elsewhere, which can generally be scaled up or down in HD, which affects a few mechanics, but they are all generally the same thing.

And maybe I'd add some love for the non-psionic golem-crafter by making a magical analogue to the construct astral construct. Hmm, lots to think about.:smallsmile:

Psyren
2013-09-18, 10:00 PM
The Stabilize Construct power in Hyperconscious does something similar - letting you spend gp and xp to make your constructs permanent. It's very high level though.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-18, 10:04 PM
So, yeah, time to break down and buy a real copy of Hyperconscious. Way too much useful stuff, and I want a real copy so I can read it all (and steal all the best stuff, mwahaha).

Rubik
2013-09-18, 10:09 PM
Stabilize Construct, though, costs millions of gp and hundreds of thousands of xp for even a low-level construct.

For instance, a 9th level construct costs somewhere in the realm of 144,039,000 gp and 5,761,560 xp.

Not. Worth it.

Psyren
2013-09-18, 10:22 PM
Stabilize Construct, though, costs millions of gp and hundreds of thousands of xp for even a low-level construct.

For instance, a 9th level construct costs somewhere in the realm of 144,039,000 gp and 5,761,560 xp.

Not. Worth it.

That reading is clearly unintended. It should be 3000gp/HD total, not 3000gp/HD/day, and same with the XP cost.

And if you're set on strict RAW without regard to concessions, Craft Construct doesn't work with psionics anyway - the rule in MiC only pertains to CWI and CMAA.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-18, 10:28 PM
There is always the Crystalline Construct item, or the sling bullets of the construct. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20020727c)

Rubik
2013-09-18, 10:32 PM
That reading is clearly unintended. It should be 3000gp/HD total, not 3000gp/HD/day, and same with the XP cost.

And if you're set on strict RAW without regard to concessions, Craft Construct doesn't work with psionics anyway - the rule in MiC only pertains to CWI and CMAA.Unintended or not, the power costs 3,000 gp and 120 xp per hit die of the construct per manifestation, and the power must be manifested once per hit die of the construct per day for one week per hit die of the construct.

That's (3,000 * 7 * HD3) gp and (120 * 7 * HD3) xp.

That's expensive. Houserule it down to what you *think* it was intended to be if you like. It's a lot more reasonable, but according to RAW...

Psyren
2013-09-18, 11:07 PM
That's expensive. Houserule it down to what you *think* it was intended to be if you like. It's a lot more reasonable, but according to RAW...

According to RAW, the only constructs psions can make are Psion-Killers anyway. So RAW is pointless to me regardless.

Rubik
2013-09-18, 11:10 PM
According to RAW, the only constructs psions can make are Psion-Killers anyway. So RAW is pointless to me regardless.If you're allowing Hyperconsious, you can create astral constructs as well.

Not that anyone actually could until (really) high epic, anyway.