PDA

View Full Version : I'm Considering Soloing Krune...

rockdeworld
2013-09-18, 11:18 PM
In case you're not familiar, Krune, aka Sloth, the Runelord (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2py0f?The-Waking-Rune-GM-Prep-MANY-SPOILERS), is the level 17 Conjurer BBEG in Pathfinder Society's season 4. PFS is like Pathfinder, except with less plot, as you can (and I have) sit down at a table with different party members for most adventures, which may be entirely disconnected, from different seasons, and each grant 1 EXP (of which you need 3 to level up, no matter your level). In PFS, you start at level 1, and if you die, you stay dead. When you reach level 12, you can't play your character anymore and have to start a new one to keep playing.

I got motivated to do this the other day, at our local Season 5 opening event, when I saw another group playing The Waking Rune and facing Krune. It took them hours to finally, barely, beat him. Remembering that NPCs are rarely optimized, I thought "surely I could do better than that." Then I started checking out Krune's stats and I got really excited. AC 33. Fort/Ref/Will 17/16/22. Initiative +8 (mine is +13 right now). Few stat-resisting buffs and a meh contingency. I figure that's bad enough for an 11th level wizard to deal with them, possibly 9th or 10th. After that I'd have no problem retiring my character in glory - I figure it's either that, or I abuse Pathfinder's lack-of-actual-banned-schools for wizards in my last adventure before level 12 to Dominate my party and have my wizard start overturning the Society so the world can be free of its criminal influence (if you've played PFS, you'll know what I'm talking about).

What I want to do is solo The Waking Rune on the highest tier (regardless of my level), Hard Mode, with no runes deactivated. The highest-level DM in the area also loves optimizing, and we're on friendly terms, so he'd probably be willing to DM the scenario for me if I asked.

What I have right now is a Wizard 4 specializing in the Teleportation subschool of Conjuration (which just makes the idea of crushing Krune all the more hilarious, since he's a Conjurerer too and supposed to be unbeatable in his own domain), so I have a lot of time to prepare.

This is my current build:
Elf Teleporter 4 (Osirion faction)
"Barred" schools: Enchantment, Evocation
Str 7/Dex 16/Con 12/Int 23/Wis 11/Cha 7

Feats:
1 Improved Initiative
Bonus Spell Focus: Conjuration (PFS replaces Scribe Scroll with this as crafting feats are banned :smallyuk:)
3 Toughness

Traits: Reactionary, Tomb Raider

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Engineering, Nature, Planes, Religion) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Local) 1 rank, Linguistincs 2 ranks, Perception 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks

Notable Class features: Spellcasting 4/6/5, Jaunt (swift action, Su, teleport 15 ft, 9 times per day), Compsognathus familiar (+4 initiative), Summoner's Charm (summons last 2 extra rounds), favored class Wizard (HP +4)

Notable Items: Headband of Vast Int +2, Rod of Lesser Extend Metamagic, Pearl of Power 1st

My plan by level 11:
Elf Teleporter 11 (Osirion faction)
"Barred" schools: Enchantment, Evocation
Str 7/Dex 16/Con 12/Int 28/Wis 11/Cha 7

Feats:
1 Improved Initiative
Bonus Spell Focus: Conjuration
3 Toughness
Bonus Reach Spell
5 Spell Penetration
7 ?
9 ?
Bonus Quicken Spell
11 ?

Traits: Reactionary, Tomb Raider

Skills: Fly 7 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana, Engineering, Nature, Planes, Religion) 11 ranks, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Local) 1 rank, Linguistincs 2 ranks, Perception 11 ranks, Spellcraft 11 ranks

Notable Class features: Spellcasting 4/8/7/7/6/5/3, Jaunt (teleport 50 ft, 12 times per day), Compsognathus familiar (+4 initiative), Summoner's Charm (summons last 5 extra rounds), favored class Wizard (HP +11)

Notable Items: Headband of Vast Int +6, Rod of Lesser Extend Metamagic, Rod of Lesser Silent Metamagic, Cloak of Resistance +5

Obviously, I haven't fully fleshed out my build, and could use some help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Krune, on the other hand, is a 17th level wizard with access to Wish (and presumably the cash to pay for it), all the conjuration spells I have, an intelligent spear that casts Slow 3/day and apparently also acts as a Greater Rod of Maximize, Empower, and Widen, plus being his item familiar. He can cast Acid Fog + Black Tentacles, Cloudkill, Summon Monster VII, and a single Maximized Empowered Horrid Wilting for ~130 damage. Unlike me, he didn't specialize in teleportation, so instead of being able to teleport as a Su swift action, he can throw around 1d6+9-damage acid darts. He can teleport as a standard action, but it's an SLA and so vulnerable to AoOs and concentration DCs, which he has +27 for. However, even unoptimized he's tough by virtue of being a Conjurer with tactics that actually make sense

Update: Apparently he starts out dead, and doesn't revive until another NPC dies. So maybe he can be killed by Magic Jar-ing her and ripping his body apart.

Krune's stats:
HP >300
AC 33
Fort/Ref/Will 17/16/22
Initiative +8

Immune to poison
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Ring of Spell Turning
Contingency set to Dispel any effect which would impede him from teleporting

Spellcasting: CL17, DC 20+spell level saves
Pearl of Power, 8th level
Dimensional Steps 510 ft./day
Concentration +27 (enough to auto-succeed most concentration checks)
Dragontooth Spear - intelligent, can cast Slow 3/day and Telekinesis at will
Greater Rod of Maximize, Empower, and Widen
Bonded Object (one extra spell of anything on his spell list)
Augment Summoning feat

Likely buffs:
Foresight, True Seeing, Globe of Invulnerability, Freedom of Movement (from ring), Spell Turning (from Ring) Stoneskin, Protection from Energy, Shield

Notable Spells:
3x Wish
Horrid Wilting
Acid Fog
Empowered Cloudkill
Cloudkill
Black Tentacles
Quickened Glitterdust
Summon Monster IX
Summon Monster VII

My current plan:
Bind a Movanic Deva, a Glabrezu, and 5 Magnesium Spirits*. Have the Movanic Deva ready an action to use Antimagic Field when it enters the coffin, and the Glabrezu ready an action to grapple Krune if he sees him. Cast Hold Portal on the coffin. Use Dimensional Steps to take the Movanic Deva into the coffin. Have the Magnesium Spirits attack him while he's still in his coffin from either through the sides or through the floor, and the Deva attempt to grapple him while in the coffin.
Set my contingency to "If I'm about to be inside antimagic or dead magic, cast teleport to behind the nearest wall." Which would put me outside the coffin.
The only thing left to deal with is the artifact spear that can still cast spells in the AMF, specifically Telekinesis. It can probably kill us all or destroy the coffin lid and then propel Krune out of it. The former is dealt with by me being outside the coffin first, and I can retreat second, and summon more creatures. In the latter case, the Glabrezu grapples Krune first - so I need to check if TK beats grappling.
Alternatively I can Jaunt into the coffin while Krune is still dead, take the spear, Jaunt out, and chuck it. Even if it tries to stop me, the best it can do is TK.
Chance of Success: Moderate. He has 18 Str, so 4 attacks on average will rend him unconscious, and allow him to be coup-de-grace'd by the Deva or Glabrezu. He has touch AC 23 outside the AMF, lower inside, and I can bind 5 Magnesium Spirits with spell slots alone, each of which hits on a 15, or 30% of the time, for a 0.83% chance of succeeding in the first round. However, if the angel-in-the-coffin trick works, I'll have plenty of rounds to deal with him. The Glabrezu's +24 CMB grapples Krune on a 14, or 35% of the time, outside the antimagic field, but the AMF cuts off Krune's stat bonuses, so as long as I can keep him within 10 ft of the Deva he'll be grappleable, provided I do it before he casts Freedom of Movement, but since he has that on a ring he almost certainly doesn't have it prepared, so that should be fine. Then he should be completely locked down from the Antimagic Field/Grapple combo and I can kill him at leisure.
*Need to check if Magnesium Spirits exist in PFS.

Other ideas:
-Cast scrying every day until he fails his save, then bind an imp and make a deal to have it teleport with a gem to the location I specifically describe (where Krune is), then leave. Cast Magic Jar on the gem, and attempt to possess Krune.
Chance of success: pretty low unless I can spike the DC somehow, since it'd only be 24 with my current build. Also needs some way to get around his Spell Turning.
-Cast Rock to Mud on his coffin and surrounding stone, let it sink, then cast mud to rock. Revive him and let him suffocate.
Chance of success: 100%, defeats all his defenses, but doesn't involve me actually facing him, so I won't do it. Ditto for disintegrating his body, or similar effects.
-Buy 110 cubic feet of wheat (1320 lbs) for 13.2 gp. Cast Fabricate to turn it into Saffron (990 lbs). Sell it for 14,850gp. Repeat a few times, then buy a ton of candles of invocation.
-Buff myself to hell and go toe-to-toe with him.
Chance of success: Decent. I at least know how to buff better: Skinsend/Shadow Projection, Contingency (teleport away if I'm about to go unconscious or be stunned/paralyzed/dominated), Getaway, Protection from Evil, True Seeing, bind a Movanic Deva (or 10) to stand next to him with Antimagic Field up, Invisibility, Fly, Mirror Image, Phantom Steed, Darkvision, Cat's Grace, Anticipate Peril.
Then I can try spamming him with Dispel Magic, Circle of Death, and Enervation. If he puts up defenses, I can teleport/astrally walk/rope trick out and come back 2 hours later, then go at it again (this defeats Spell Turning too).
On the other hand, I need a way to survive a 130 damage Horrid Wilting twice, and DC29 vs. being Wish'd to the center of the sun 3 times.
To get to Krune: Him being dead, and thus an object, to start with complicates the plan somewhat, but makes it simpler in other ways. Find out the entrance to wherever he's staying. If nothing else, use Locate Object on his body, but preferably Contact Other Plane to ask a bunch of demigods where Krune's body is (I can ask the DM if Nethys would give me an easier int check since I worship him, but that's purely roleplaying and likely disallowed). Spam Clairvoyance on the place I find, then inside it, etc. looking for enemies until I have the entire place mapped out. Bind an imp to teleport to that location with my Magic Jar gem and hit her with it. If it succeeds, keep the gem and continue on. When I find another creature, fight it and then use Magic Jar on it. Use a scroll of Disintegrate on the losers' dead bodies. Once I reach Krune, possibly cast Legend Lore, then commit suicide with my current body and return to my own. Once I've gotten to Krune, drop a scroll of disintegrate on his coffin.

What are your thoughts? I would love getting any tips for my build or tactics.

Alleran
2013-09-19, 01:43 AM
If Krune wins initiative, then he can just cast wish and force you to save against a DC of ~30 or be wishported into the sun.

Even if you win initiative, you have to find some means of stopping him from throwing that at you (on the highest tier and Hard mode, he can do it three times before he runs out of material components). It's basically save-or-die.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-19, 06:33 AM
That's... A bit of an oversimplification of Pathfinder Society. How exactly are you planning to solo him? Just play the scenario for no credit?

Having a character that fought Krune, if you knock off the power runes outside his chamber, you help yourself a LOT. Plus, there is just getting to him. It was the first time I've seen Plane Shift used on a PC.

rockdeworld
2013-09-19, 09:49 AM
Dust of Sneezing and Choking can stop him from casting wish, but I just noticed it has no cost on the pfsrd, so it might not be buyable. In which case, I'd have to wish for it myself, and if I'm doing that, I may as well just start chain-gating Efreeti.

Alternatively, I use use Retrieve Item on a scroll of Dimensional Anchor and cast it when I see him casting a teleport/planeshift/wish spell.

I did oversimplify PFS a bit, because my purpose is just to give people an idea of what I'm doing. And yeah, I'd just play the scenario for no credit.

Hard mode means disabling runes do nothing, and even if they did I wouldn't do it just for the challenge :smallamused:

As for getting to him, I was thinking of using Magic Jar to take over the bodies of the other creatures in the area and scouting the place safely and getting them to kill each other off.

Karoht
2013-09-19, 10:37 AM
That bonded item sounds pretty important. And expensive.
Break it first. No really.
Not only will it debuff him in important ways, you might force him to blow a wish to get it back. It seems like a good place to start.

rockdeworld
2013-09-19, 10:57 AM
That bonded item sounds pretty important. And expensive.
Break it first. No really.
Not only will it debuff him in important ways, you might force him to blow a wish to get it back. It seems like a good place to start.
I thought about that, but the only rules I can find say that losing your bonded item forces you to make a concentration check to cast your spells, and Krune can auto-succeed those checks.

Karoht
2013-09-19, 11:07 AM
I thought about that, but the only rules I can find say that losing your bonded item forces you to make a concentration check to cast your spells, and Krune can auto-succeed those checks.Yeah, I'm not sure where I got the impression, but I thought they lost a level when their bonded item is broken (or if a familiar dies, but now I can't even find a ruling on that so yeah), but clearly I'm mistaken.

And Wizards have to prepare their spells with metamagic if they want to use metamagic at all, meaning the metamagic from the rod is already used up, so you wouldn't even be denying him that.

Yeah, disregard my suggestion.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-19, 11:10 AM
No, Metamagic rods only affect the actual spell. They can be used spontaeneously by wizards, and they don't affect the level.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-19, 11:15 AM
Also, that 'other NPC?' Its frigging BAD ASS. We had more trouble with it than him. Also, you don't find out its death resurrects him until her blood splatter tells you. She has some actual Save or Die spells, plus aforementioned Plane Shift. And a nasty unwilling life link sorta thing from Limited Wish, but if you are soloing her, it might not be so bad.

rockdeworld
2013-09-19, 11:25 AM
Also, that 'other NPC?' Its frigging BAD ASS. We had more trouble with it than him. Also, you don't find out its death resurrects him until her blood splatter tells you. She has some actual Save or Die spells, plus aforementioned Plane Shift. And a nasty unwilling life link sorta thing from Limited Wish, but if you are soloing her, it might not be so bad.
Good to know. My current plan doesn't even require me to see Krune, but it wouldn't be fair to kill him without letting him live first, so I'll at least do whatever is necessary to revive him. The question then is: is it anything a Movanic Deva with Antimagic Field and 20 Solars can't handle?

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-19, 11:36 AM
I dunno. The Avatar of Lissala can do some pretty wired stuff, like using the Deva as a meatshield.

rockdeworld
2013-09-19, 04:08 PM
I dunno. The Avatar of Lissala can do some pretty wired stuff, like using the Deva as a meatshield.
If that's from a domination effect, the angels' protective aura blocks it. Do you know AoL's stats?

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-19, 05:23 PM
Its not a domination effect, its a spell. Its basically Shield Other, but on anyone. When I say meatshield, I mean a buffer of hit points.

rockdeworld
2013-09-19, 06:18 PM
Its not a domination effect, its a spell. Its basically Shield Other, but on anyone. When I say meatshield, I mean a buffer of hit points.
Makes sense. The more I hear, the more I'm tempted to just wish up 3 dusts of sneezing and choking. I can use dimensional anchor to prevent being planeshifted, and perhaps use it on my gate'd solars as well. Then having the solars spam Destruction should be enough to take it down, and will save me a Disintegrate spell too.

rockdeworld
2013-09-22, 09:14 PM
Ugh. I just checked the pfsrd, and learned that Wish doesn't grant magic items or wealth as a "safe" wish anymore, so the chain-gating Efreeti trick is out, ditto for the Dust of Sneezing and Choking (since I absolutely do not count on my DM being nice and letting me buy an item with no listed price).

My current plan then is to lay on the Str damage. There's a bunch of problems with the plan though, not least among them being that he could ready an action to hit me with horrid wilting when I attack, and I don't have a way to negate the damage. Does anyone know Krune's touch AC or Str score?

Alleran
2013-09-22, 09:29 PM
My current plan then is to lay on the Str damage. There's a bunch of problems with the plan though, not least among them being that he could ready an action to hit me with horrid wilting when I attack, and I don't have a way to negate the damage. Does anyone know Krune's touch AC or Str score?
His touch AC is 23 (33 normally, 25 flat-footed) and his STR is 18.

rockdeworld
2013-09-22, 09:44 PM
His touch AC is 23 (33 normally, 25 flat-footed) and his STR is 18.
Awesome, thanks! Now I just need a way to prevent him casting that horrid wilting. Maybe my best bet really is to Disintegrate the coffin, have the Movanic Deva (or a bigger beast) grapple him, and get the spirits to hit him. Do you know his CMD too?

Alleran
2013-09-22, 10:24 PM
Awesome, thanks! Now I just need a way to prevent him casting that horrid wilting. Maybe my best bet really is to Disintegrate the coffin, have the Movanic Deva (or a bigger beast) grapple him, and get the spirits to hit him. Do you know his CMD too?

(Obligatory 10 characters.)

rockdeworld
2013-09-22, 11:30 PM

(Obligatory 10 characters.)
Whoa. Enough to make a Glabrezu have to roll a 14 to grapple him. I'll definitely need some way to nerf that/buff the Glabrezu in antimagic field. Speaking of which, do any of those stats come down at all in an antimagic field?

Alleran
2013-09-22, 11:44 PM
A lot of his abilities will go down to antimagic fields, yes. Actually, almost all of them will (Contingency, Permanent Spells, Runelord's Dominion, Runes of Power, Runesight and Runic Ability Bonuses).

However, note that his artifact weapon will not. It has telekinesis at-will and the dedicated purpose of defending servants of Lissala (Krune is the High Priest of Lissala). So unless the antimagic field extends over most/all of the room, Krune can just let his artifact TK him out of the field immediately.

rockdeworld
2013-09-23, 12:00 AM
A lot of his abilities will go down to antimagic fields, yes. Actually, almost all of them will (Contingency, Permanent Spells, Runelord's Dominion, Runes of Power, Runesight and Runic Ability Bonuses).

However, note that his artifact weapon will not. It has telekinesis at-will and the dedicated purpose of defending servants of Lissala (Krune is the High Priest of Lissala). So unless the antimagic field extends over most/all of the room, Krune can just let his artifact TK him out of the field immediately.
That's problematic. I assumed the spear was an intelligent magic item, and would stop functioning. It's telekinesis isn't an SLA or Su ability then? I assume both of those would be stopped.

If it's the case that it does retain that ability, I'll need some way to prevent him getting away. Waiting to cast DimAnch on myself so that I can Jaunt the Deva into his coffin would work, if I order it to ready its AMF for when it gets inside.

Alleran
2013-09-23, 01:32 AM
I assumed the spear was an intelligent magic item, and would stop functioning.
It's an intelligent artifact, specifically, so it won't be affected by antimagic field (neither artifacts nor deities are subject to the spell).

rockdeworld
2013-09-23, 09:17 AM
It's an intelligent artifact, specifically, so it won't be affected by antimagic field (neither artifacts nor deities are subject to the spell).
Ah. In that case, my best bet is probably to steal it before the fight begins. I can Jaunt into his coffin while he's still dead, take the spear (whether or not it protests), and Dimensional Steps 160' away, outside the temple/thing, and leave it there. Can it move of its own volition?

rockdeworld
2013-09-24, 10:18 PM
I forgot the most important question: How much prep time do you get for this adventure? It can't be too rushed, if Krune is dead until you kill the Avatar.

Alleran
2013-09-24, 10:38 PM
When the PCs arrive at the ziggurat that provides entry to the tomb, the ritual to wake Krune is ongoing. Once the PCs enter a particular area in the tomb (A4), the GM is instructed to say that the ritual ends and Krune will resurrect in 1d6+6 rounds (a DC 20 arcana or Spellcraft check will allow a PC to know that they have less than a minute).

Once Krune revives, he takes a couple of seconds to teleport out of his sarcophagus. The moment he spots anybody out of place (such as the PCs), he demands in Thassilonian that they prostrate themselves. If he observes anybody casting a spell or positioning themselves for imminent combat, he immediately initiates hostilities.

Breaking into his sarcophagus or shattering his soul gem before he's fully revived just revives him immediately and staggers him for one round.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-24, 11:18 PM
You get told of your mission. Then you get teleported to chamber #1, holding the Avatar.

rockdeworld
2013-09-24, 11:57 PM
Breaking into his sarcophagus or shattering his soul gem before he's fully revived just revives him immediately and staggers him for one round.
Oh ho, that's useful.

You get told of your mission. Then you get teleported to chamber #1, holding the Avatar.
That's problematic. And only a minute or so after a certain room. The DM probably won't let me spend an hour binding creatures then. I can try spending the past few days before this mission using Fabricate to make tons of cash and gear up with Candles of Invocation, but I'm not sure I can depend on that either.

Hm. I'll have to book-dive to find an answer, I suppose. If all else fails, I may just have to disintegrate his body, since I don't like being put on a clock. I'd prefer to find a better way though.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-25, 12:43 AM
Can it move of its own volition?

Like, say, by TKing itself? Because I see no reason why it couldn't do that.

rockdeworld
2013-09-25, 02:45 AM
Like, say, by TKing itself? Because I see no reason why it couldn't do that.
Well, I specifically meant by something like floating around, but I suppose that works too. However, TK is much less accurate, and it at least buys me some time where he won't have it.

Suteinu
2013-09-25, 07:47 AM
... Actually, I had a simmilar thread-question last year, and the general consensus was to go Ranger or Swashbuckler for a couple of levels, then go Crusader. He was figured to have a strong will, but Con was his highest stat, and he should have had enough ranks in UMD to justify using the Staff of Solomon on a regular basis.

No, wait ... that was Solomon Kane.

Nevermind...

angry_bear
2013-09-25, 08:29 AM
Can you cast animate dead on him? Because if so, he can't come back to life until his corpse is no longer animated by negative energy. At least in 3.5 that's how it works, might be different in Pathfinder...

rockdeworld
2013-09-25, 09:29 AM
Can you cast animate dead on him? Because if so, he can't come back to life until his corpse is no longer animated by negative energy. At least in 3.5 that's how it works, might be different in Pathfinder...
Similar to disintegrate, I could but I won't, unless it turns out there's nothing else I can do.