PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gaining Natural Armor

Cardea
2013-09-19, 02:38 AM
Assuming you are a core non-casting class and a core race, with no templates, how would you get permanent Natural Armor so you can take advantage of +X Enhancement Natural Armor?

I already know of Gleaming Scales from Races of the Dragon.

Douglas
2013-09-19, 02:47 AM
Simple, you don't need to. Anyone who doesn't have a natural armor bonus is treated as having a +0 natural armor bonus. Enhancement to Natural Armor works for everyone.

Cardea
2013-09-19, 02:51 AM
Simple, you don't need to. Anyone who doesn't have a natural armor bonus is treated as having a +0 natural armor bonus. Enhancement to Natural Armor works for everyone.
Wow, that's... something I wish I had known about years prior.

Thank you so much.

Any chance you have a link on the srd or a page number from the PHB or DMG I can point people towards?

RoyVG
2013-09-19, 03:39 AM
I believe there are spells or effects that increase or otherwise interact with NA that mention that they do work on creatures without NA as they are treated as having NA+0.

I also believe there are spells and effects that improve or otherwise interact with NA, but mention that they don't work when a creature has no NA.

I can't find a real reference somewhere in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm). Interpret at own risk, I suppose...?

Ashtagon
2013-09-19, 04:15 AM
Any chance you have a link on the srd or a page number from the PHB or DMG I can point people towards?

Consider that a +1 sword works just fine for a 1st level rogue with no Strength bonus or base attack bonus (ok, technically a +0 bonus).

TuggyNE
2013-09-19, 05:09 AM
I believe there are spells or effects that increase or otherwise interact with NA that mention that they do work on creatures without NA as they are treated as having NA+0.

Barkskin, the prerequisite for the Amulet of Natural Armor that has essentially the same effect, says that.
A creature without natural armor has an effective natural armor bonus of +0.

This may or may not apply in general, but only the most hopelessly tightfisted DM would say that it doesn't apply to the amulet.