PDA

View Full Version : Contingent spell lock uses

bot
2013-09-19, 03:25 AM
I stumbled across this spell recently and started thinking of how to use this to get myself back to life.

Transmutation [Ectomancy]
Level: Bard 6, Cleric 6, Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6, Ghost 5,
Components: V, S, DF,
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

You transfer some of your currently prepared spells or available spell slots to a hidden part of your soul so that, if you die, when you appear on the Ethereal Plane, you have those spells or spell slots available for use (normally, dying and appearing on the Ethereal Plane causes you to lose all prepared spells and unused spell slots).
You can transfer one spell per spell level that you can cast into this hidden part of your soul.
Once you transfer the spells or spell slots in this manner, you cannot access them in any way—it is as if you had used those spell slots.
The next time you choose to ready or prepare spells, you may leave those transferred spells or slots in place, or you may recover them along with your other spells or spell slots (which means they would not be available if you died).
The transferred spells or spell slots may be used by your ghost in the normal manner, requiring the appropriate components and so on.
If you are raised from the dead, the transferred spells become inaccessible again (although you can choose to recover them the next time you ready or prepare spells, as described above).

Any ideas on what spell a wizard could lock, that would help get back to life?

I'm especially interested in any ideas that don't use Conjuration [teleportation] or Necromancy, since my 13th lvl wizard has no access to those particular schools.

Maginomicon
2013-09-19, 03:39 AM
Well... the spell doesn't seem to specify that they have to be slots from the same class, so... take enough levels in cleric to get Revivify and always have it prepared?

bot
2013-09-19, 04:58 AM
Well... the spell doesn't seem to specify that they have to be slots from the same class, so... take enough levels in cleric to get Revivify and always have it prepared?

Thanks, though I guess I should have been more clear - not looking for actual wizard spells that can bring someone back from death, but more spells that can get you to someone who can do it for you.

Khedrac
2013-09-19, 06:58 AM
So you get access "when you die and appear on the Ethereal Plane". Surely unless you rise as a ghost this isn't actually going to happen?

If you soul needs to transit to get to your destination outer plane the ethereal is only on the route from the other inner planes, from the prime it is straight to astral to outer.
And I think the normal rule is your soul goes straight there, so no transit needed.

TuggyNE
2013-09-19, 07:28 AM
So you get access "when you die and appear on the Ethereal Plane". Surely unless you rise as a ghost this isn't actually going to happen?

I think it's from Ghostwalk, where, per the name, ghostly adventures are rather a lot more common.

Brookshw
2013-09-19, 07:34 AM
What source is that spell from? It seems very "off" as far as d&d goes....

TuggyNE
2013-09-19, 08:01 AM
What source is that spell from? It seems very "off" as far as d&d goes....

I ninja'd you with a suitable answer before you even asked the question! :smalltongue:

Brookshw
2013-09-19, 08:09 AM
I ninja'd you with a suitable answer before you even asked the question! :smalltongue:

TUGGGGGGYYY!!!

lol, yup, that you did.