PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Bouncing Spell with Burning Gaze

Barstro
2013-09-19, 07:51 AM
Bouncing Spell
Whenever a bouncing spell targeting a single creature has no effect on its intended target (whether due to spell resistance or a successful saving throw) you may, as a swift action, redirect it to target another eligible creature within range...

Burning Gaze
As a standard action as long as this spell's effects persist, you may direct your burning gaze against a single creature or object within 30 feet of your location...

I think that using a Bouncing Metamagic rod would do nothing to this spell, since the "target" is the caster. So the desired effect of getting a second shot for a missed gaze attack (for lack of a better term) each round would not work.

Agreed?

Occasional Sage
2013-09-19, 08:29 AM
Bouncing Spell
Whenever a bouncing spell targeting a single creature has no effect on its intended target (whether due to spell resistance or a successful saving throw) you may, as a swift action, redirect it to target another eligible creature within range...

Burning Gaze
As a standard action as long as this spell's effects persist, you may direct your burning gaze against a single creature or object within 30 feet of your location...

I think that using a Bouncing Metamagic rod would do nothing to this spell, since the "target" is the caster. So the desired effect of getting a second shot for a missed gaze attack (for lack of a better term) each round would not work.

Agreed?

Agreed. The spell itself targets the caster, creating a gaze attack which then targets others. "Target: you" is the salient line.

Snowbluff
2013-09-19, 10:53 AM
Thirding that the target is the caster.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-19, 10:57 AM
Gaze attacks are area attacks, not targeted attacks (except in weird instances like a vampire's Domination gaze).

Barstro
2013-09-19, 12:01 PM
Gaze attacks are area attacks, not targeted attacks (except in weird instances like a vampire's Domination gaze).

Burning Gaze is specifically not a "Gaze Attack". I just didn't feel like getting into the entire description of the spell and, instead, used only the specific language that applied to the scenario.