PDA

View Full Version : Any Polymorph options that can burrow through rock?

killem2
2013-09-19, 10:34 AM
I'm rounding off a list of monsters since my DM has a limited amount, and specifically I'm trying to pin down something that will burrow through rock if any.

the SRD says that burrowing cannot go through rocks unless it says so, so I assume there must be something out there right? :smallconfused:

Norin
2013-09-19, 10:36 AM
No exact suggestions from me, but look for earth glide ability like earth elementals have. ;)

killem2
2013-09-19, 10:41 AM
ooo. Good catch I forgot about that!!!! :D

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-19, 10:45 AM
Toquahs(Not sure on the spelling) are earth elementals that can tunnel through rock and leave an useable tunnel IIRC.

Khedrac
2013-09-19, 11:40 AM
I think Delvers can too.

Story
2013-09-19, 11:43 AM
It's spelled Thoqqua (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/thoqqua.htm). Unfortunately, they're elementals so not a valid target for Polymorph. But Druids can summon them as early as level 5. If you can get a small elemental as a familiar, you can Alter Self it into a Thoqqua.

Deophaun
2013-09-19, 11:52 AM
An umber hulk can burrow through rock at a speed of 5ft. Leaves a useable hole if it wants to.

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 02:01 PM
The Underdark book has some sort of Gargoyle/Griffon thing that flies through rock via Earth Glide and is a Magical Beast I think.

Curmudgeon
2013-09-19, 02:21 PM
The Underdark book has some sort of Gargoyle/Griffon thing that flies through rock via Earth Glide and is a Magical Beast I think.
The Earth Glider is an Outsider.

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 02:24 PM
The Earth Glider is an Outsider.

My bad.

Races of the Dragon has the rules for simple mundane digging. It's in the Kobold section under Profession Miner. The gist is that a creature can excavate it's Space worth of material given one 8 hr. workday.

Not good for combat but excellent for sapping and tunneling.

From the MM

An umber hulk can
burrow through solid rock at a speed of 5 feet. It does not leave a
usable tunnel unless it chooses to.
But it is an Aberration.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-19, 04:22 PM
I think Delvers can too.

This. Awesome monster for polymorph, totally overlooked all the time.

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-19, 04:29 PM
Bluespawn Ambusher, I believe.

killem2
2013-09-19, 07:32 PM
I think I overlooked something. Isn't Burrow an EX non attack ability? I won't even get that with polymorph will I? Including Earth Glide :(

Deophaun
2013-09-19, 07:52 PM
I think I overlooked something. Isn't Burrow an EX non attack ability? I won't even get that with polymorph will I? Including Earth Glide :(
It is an EX non attack ability. But...

Polymorph is based on alter self, and alter self says:

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities...
So yes, you get them.

Norin
2013-09-20, 02:04 AM
If you really want to move through earth you could always look into the Earth Dreamer PrC from Races of Stone. They get Earth Glide (SU) at lvl 5.

killem2
2013-09-20, 12:22 PM
Thanks everyone, it was more of a jack of all trades request so I can be versatile.