PDA

View Full Version : Building an Interesting Encounter for New Players

Govinator
2013-09-19, 10:59 AM
I have a group of 4 (maybe 5) players that are all new except for one veteran. We're starting at level 2 and I want to put together an encounter that will challenge them, but not rofl-stomp them or be too easy.

Scenario is that their village elder has fallen sick during the deepest part of winter, so they have been tasked with fetching a healer from the neighboring town. On the way, they're going to be stopped at an impromptu bandit "guard post" and asked to pay a fee for using their road. I'm expecting things to escalate to combat, and here is where I could use your help!

How can I make the encounter interesting?
I'm thinking that a casting of grease on frozen ground would be a bit too mean... Should there be several easier mooks and a leader, or 2-3 tougher enemies?

Party comp is tentatively: Serene Barbarian, Druid, Ranger, Ninja, and one person is undecided.

John Longarrow
2013-09-19, 11:06 AM
Bandits?

Hmm.. Easiest would be to have 6-8 commoners with missile weapons as "Archers" (No BAB, No DEX, No proficiency) that give the impression of being touch even though they can't take a hit and can't really do damage. Have 2-4 commoners with spears as the front line, and a 2nd level fighter be the boss.

This will give your party the feeling they are facing off against a tough fight, but when blows come they should walk through it.

Govinator
2013-09-19, 11:18 AM
I like your encounter description, its very appropriate I think!

However, I am kind of changing my mind on the idea of them being bandits. Hows about, instead they are a small advance guard of soldiers from an empire that is interested in controlling the area. The group will be starting in a region that has no centralized government, and is referred to by outside nations as the Unclaimed Hills. It would make a little more sense (I think) for soldiers to have then constructed a guard station from which to extort tolls.

Would you consider changing the fight you mentioned to reflect their being soldiers? Or keep the structure similar and just change their descriptions?

John Longarrow
2013-09-19, 11:34 AM
Depends.

Does the nation that is sending in troops have a good standing army (think Roman Empire) or is this more of a feudal kingdom (think Spanish Empire)?

If it is a professional standing army, then you would have trained troops (Probably with a level or to in the class Warrior).

If it is not, you would probably have conscripts, so commoners would work. They would just have more uniform equipment, possibly padded armor.

This means your 2nd level fighter would be the "Professional" in charge of conscripts. It also means that as soon as the fighting starts and a couple of the spearmen drop, the rest will RUN.

Govinator
2013-09-19, 11:45 AM
Roman empire would be a solid approximation, high quality standing army.
However the bulk of said army is engaged in a border war with their most powerful rivals, so all that they can send into the unclaimed hills at the moment is nothing more than small reconnaissance units and groups of scout patrols.

To reflect that, then this group should have a lvl 2 fighter commander, with a small group of warriors equipped with sword/shield and bows? Say 5-6 guys?