PDA

View Full Version : Build the most OP Disintegration Character

JW86
2013-09-19, 11:01 AM
Hi guys,

Half for laughs, half out of curiosity, with just a smidgen of serious consideration..

I would love to see what builds you could make, whether arcane or psionic, that allow the most severe maximisation of the "Disintegrate" ability.

Feats, metamagic/metapsionics, ways of boosting relevant save DC stats, caster or manifester, levels.

The only condition is we want to cause as much unstoppable ruin with the power, disintegrate.

With a view to a Level 15 and Level 20 character, and also for the adventurous a foray into epics with a Level 25 character.

The ability to be nigh-impossible to hit would be a bonus as well - so please, abjurant your champions, inertial your armour, thicken your skin, INT your ACs.. do whatever you need to.. so long as it does not detract from the overall theme of Disintegration.

We are after the most frustrating of the frustratings..

Samalpetey
2013-09-19, 12:17 PM
Hmmm. A red wizard with Reserves of Strength for breaking spell damage caps could put out 80d6 damage with disintegrate, at whatever level he can get the apprentices to boost his CL to 40. UMD with a prayer bead of karma could give another +4, and with a +3 from reserves of strength that's another 14d6 damage. The wizard could also heighten it to level 9 with circle magic for higher DC saving throws. Chucking in some Enlightened Fist with the monk feat that gives you int to AC would be pretty fun to, since you could then disintegrate people with a punch. So 94d6 damage so far, with only a couple of CL boosters. A full build isn't my sort of thing, but I'll post little things here from my small amount of char op knowledge

Pentagon
2013-09-19, 12:45 PM
Yeah circle magic / concerted casting etc. will be the most impressive if you can get enough people together for it.

Two thoughts are that for a save based spell, an Incantrix 10, Fatespinner 5 wizard 5 with arcane thesis, practised metamagic so that your disintegrate is 3 metamagic levels cheaper. You also get 'spin' to push up the DC further, the -10 to your saves and the you reroll your successful save, ha ha ha could be good.

Pentagon

WebTiefling
2013-09-19, 12:56 PM
The difficulty isn't the cranking up of damage, as Samalpetey has shown. The difficulty is the DC of resisting the Disintegrate spell. The DC is 10 + spell level + key attribute + other effects on DC.

You can get your Int up into the 30s if you have the money. You can go crazy on the cheese and crank it up to the 50s, though not with the WBL of a level 16 character. (somewhere around 250K gp, IIRC)

But, you'll be paying for maximizing your Int with various magic items, both permanent and temporary, so you won't have much in the way of money left over for other equipment.

Cranking your Int up to 40+ AND putting your AC way up is beyond the WBL for character level 16.

Start at 18 Int. Pick a +2 Int race. Gain +4 from levels. +6 from Helm of Intellect (36K). = 30.
Stack in an uncustomary bonus (luck?) and an uncustomary slot (necklace?) +6 Int magic item (108K), and you'll be up to +36.

Buying a Tome of +5 to Int costs 137K, so you're looking at 281K gp to get your Int up to 41. That's around level 16 or 17 if you're going by the WBL charts. (I don't have my books with me ATM.) You might be able to cut the cost by crafting things yourself or other cost cutting tricks.

You can toss in a few more points with some temporary things, such as special drugs or effects, and gain another point or two on the DC. Then with some Feats, you should be able to add another 2 or 3 to the DC.

Around level 16, if you have an Int of 45 when casting the spell, the DC will be 10+6+17+2 = 35. That should be able to take out most of your targets, but it's getting iffy for enemies that have good Fort saves. At that level, it won't be too odd to have enemies with a Fort save of +20 or +25.

And that doesn't give you much money for anything else. Mage Armor and Shield are about it except for maybe a robe of +1 and an amulet of +1 or +2 Natural Armor.

AC estimate: around 22 or 23.

Glass cannon.

Brookshw
2013-09-19, 12:57 PM
We are after the most frustrating of the frustratings..

If I didn't know better I'd swear you were one of my players :smallamused:

Samalpetey
2013-09-19, 01:08 PM
Oh, for DC increasing, Irresistable Spell from kalamar is an easy +10 to spell DCs if I remember correctly, or removes the save entirely pre-errata. Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil could also add some much needed toughness, but it could be difficult to squeeze in

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-19, 01:34 PM
Gray Elf Factotum 11/ Psion 9 with a Duskblade's Disintegrate courtesy of a StP Erudite and Psychic Chirurgery.

Spend one feat on Linked Power and another feat on Metapower on Bestow Power to make it permanently linked to Bestow Power. Buy a Torc of Power Preservation so that Bestow Power costs 2 PP to manifest. Now it nets you 2 PP every manifestation. With Earth Power it costs 1 PP and thus nets you 3 PP per manifestation.

Spend feats on Earth Sense and Earth Power.

Spend another feat on Metapower to link Disintegrate with any 1st level power.

The end result under one reading of the rules (where a linked power can have its PP cost go negative) is that your Disintegrate costs 4 PP to cast. If linked power can't make a PP cost negative then your Disintegrate costs 6 PP to cast and the power it is linked to can be any first or second level power.

Spend the rest of your feats on Font of Inspiration.

In combat you will use Cunning Breach and then lots of Cunning Surge.

Cunning Breach lets you ignore a targets spell resistance (and thus power resistance under transparency) for one round and is a free action to activate. Cunning Surge gives you extra standard actions within which you can manifest more Disintegrates.

You should have 42 IP. Spend 2 on Cunning Breach and then you have 39 left to spend on thirteen iterations of Cunning Surge. That is a total of 14 castings of Disintegrate in one round (and you should win initiative thanks to Brains Over Brawn, although you can also get celerity as one of your Factotum spells). You have 126 PP (after bonus PP from 36 Int) which means that you can cast your Disintegrate augmented to 9 PP each exactly 14 times.

So in the first round of combat (and you can do it in the surprise round) you will deliver 14 such Disintegrates on your target. Even if every save is made that is still an average of 245 damage that the enemy takes. If no saves are made then that is an average of 1,176 damage.

And now that your enemy is dead you use Bestow Power to regain all of your PP. It should take only a few minutes.

The only real problem is that your Disintegrates save DC is only 28, which is really a bit lower than the ideal.

If you want to spread the fun around then just use Cunning Breach on multiple enemies and spread out the attacks.

If you spread it over 4 enemies then you can deliver 3 Disintegrates each in your nova bust.

And the best part is that you can remove all signs of the manifestation with a simple concentration check and none of your abilities thus have a visible tell.

So you can just sit there and, while appearing to do nothing, turn 4 people to dust. Or 16 if they are all low enough level/have weak enough saves and don't have SR/PR.

Oh yes, and you still have most of your powers to pick and all of your wealth available and can skill monkey pretty much as well as a rogue.