PDA

View Full Version : God into Man

sambouchah
2013-09-19, 11:05 AM
I was just thinking of various types of divinity and ways to obtain it quickly. Then I thought "What about losing it, what happens then?". I can't remember if Deities and Demigods says what happens when a god starts to drop in divine power or if it's even possible. But what would it be possible play an ex God/Goddess from level one? Would a god who lost all divine ranks become a level one outsider, or would they just simply die?

Thanks for your time, Sam

Edge of Dreams
2013-09-19, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure most of the gods in that book are somewhere in the range of level 20 to 40 characters even without their divine rank. So, the common sense answer is that you can strip away their divinity and you're still left with an epic-level character.

Of course, even without a specific rule, a GM can always make **** up. Maybe the particular way a god was un-deified also drained away all his class levels too. Maybe a god was slain and reincarnated in a mortal body, but retained his soul with that spark of divinity, giving him the chance to re-ascend.

I actually think it would be pretty fun to run a D&D campaign about a group of ex-gods trying to regain their old power. Depending on how you do it, just about any level range would be suitable.

Renen
2013-09-19, 11:29 AM
I like to rp a god that effectively sealed his strength, and releases parts of it as needed (leveling)

sambouchah
2013-09-19, 12:17 PM
I actually think it would be pretty fun to run a D&D campaign about a group of ex-gods trying to regain their old power. Depending on how you do it, just about any level range would be suitable.

I like to rp a god that effectively sealed his strength, and releases parts of it as needed (leveling)

This was my plan, playing an ex god and stuff.

Clistenes
2013-09-19, 12:54 PM
I think most gods just fade out of existance, or they become one of those giant statues floating around the Astral, but some gods, like Desayeus, are known to have been stripped of their divinity and survived, so I think a god on the brink of death by worship starvation could ask a fellow deity to strip him of his divine spark and keep living as an epic character.

I think that most deities try to obtain more worship until the very last second or resign themselves to death rather than to keep living as mortals.

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 01:06 PM
Can you cast reincarnate or revive Outsider on a dead god?
Can you just Animate Dead a divine corpse?

I'm curious what RAW prevents these things.

Zero grim
2013-09-19, 04:53 PM
animate dead on a divine corpse of a humanoid god, you'd have the most bad ass 1HD skeleton ever!

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 05:05 PM
animate dead on a divine corpse of a humanoid god, you'd have the most bad ass 1HD skeleton ever!

Animate Objects for a Colossal object on the dead body of a god floating in the Astral plane for even more bada**ery.

Alefiend
2013-09-19, 05:35 PM
This might be a good place to use the Mythic rules from Pathfinder. You can start from level 1, but you're much more than your run-of-the-mill adventurer. Mythic doesn't necessarily lead to apotheosis, but it makes sense as a starting point.