PDA

View Full Version : Obtain Familiar feat vs Improved Homunculus feat

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 01:03 PM
Which is better, when, and why?

Which is better for an Goblin Artificer? Missed that CL3rd prereq.
For a Warforged Spellblade Spellthief? sorry, simple typo
For an Illumian Arcane Archer?
Also, which is better, Improved Familiar or Improved Homunculus?

For reference, Obtain Familiar (CAr81), Improved Homunculus (MoE49), Improved Familiar (CSc, FRCS, PGtF, RoF, SK, TaB, DwP)

Edit:
- The Artificer is lvl 6 and focused on Alchemy.
Has 2 Artisan feats and 2 Alchemy feats.
Has a Dedicated Wright Homunculus and a Homunculus already.
- The Spellthief is lvl 7 and has Animate Rope, Color Spray, and Golem Strike.
And is focused on UMD and acting the Rogue.
The character is fascinated with Artifice and even plans to use a Wand of Beget Bogun to command a Bogun or two eventually.
Would have liked to have had him have Spellfire too but didn't realize it in time.
Has Unarmored Body and Good Karma and Weapon Finesse.
- The Illumian Arcane Archer is supposed to focus on Imbue Arrow Glyph spells to enable shenanigans.
Like Imbue Arrow Binding or Animate Objects. Isn't built yet, still just an idea.

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 04:49 PM
No informed opinions?

Big Fau
2013-09-19, 05:31 PM
We need more info than just Race and Class. Feats, spells/infusions, items, and other details are needed to make a decision.

I'm AFB right now but the main uses for a Homunculus is to get a Dedicated Wright and have it craft for you, while a Familiar is more of a Transmuter's best friend. For the Arcane Archer I'd recommend the Homunculus and get the one from MoE that acts as a walking backpack or the living crossbow (since lost caster levels makes a familiar bad).

The Artificer can't qualify for Obtain Familiar. They aren't arcane casters, so a homunculus is the only option.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-19, 05:37 PM
Obtain Familiar is generally only worthwhile if you're also taking Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar), with additional options in CW p100.

An Artificer would probably get more benefit from Improved Homonculus.

A given Gish character would almost certainly benefit more from Obtain/Improved Familiar, as he could Polymorph an Outsider familiar into many powerful forms, such as an Arrow Demon (MM3) or a Kelvezu (MM2).

Illumians can't take Arcane Archer, it has an elf race prerequisite. It's just a bad class in general anyway, you're better off without it.

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 05:49 PM
Illumians can't take Arcane Archer, it has an elf race prerequisite. It's just a bad class in general anyway, you're better off without it.

There's a way to modify their race in races of Stone. it's a suggested alt to the presented 'you count as a dwarf' mechanic.

Also I added more info to the OP for reference.

Snowbluff
2013-09-19, 06:02 PM
Obtain Familiar is generally only worthwhile if you're also taking Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar), with additional options in CW p100.

What?

Try Complete Scoundrel, FRCS, PGtF, Races of Faerun, Serpent Kindgoms, Tome and Blood, with optional sub-creatures from material like Demonweb Pits... CW is the last place that comes to mind for good familiar options.

Here is the handbook for familiars. (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html) Everyone should have one if they can get one.

unseenmage
2013-09-19, 06:06 PM

Here is the handbook for familiars. (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html) Everyone should have one if they can get one.

On the overall utility front, does Imp. Homun. win out due to Obtain Fam. needing Imp. Fam. to be useful?

Snowbluff
2013-09-19, 06:07 PM
On the overall utility front, does Imp. Homun. win out due to Obtain Fam. needing Imp. Fam. to be useful? I'll have to look into it...

EDIT: Obtain familiar is always good. Improved Homuculus is only marginally better, IMO. The Homonculus costs many times more in gold, so I would not build one, anyway. I'd rather have a Craft Wright (for crafting) or Elder Eidolon (Only 3 times as much GP per HD, and it's made of MADNESS) if I was spending money.

Improved Familiar. Options like Mirror Mephit are hard to top.

EDIT: Since the feat chain is 2 feats long for both, Improved familiar.

Chronos
2013-09-19, 06:14 PM
Even plain ordinary familiars are useful, without needing to be Improved. They're pretty much good at everything except combat-- Improved Familiars just add some combat ability, too. Of special note for a Spellthief is that a familiar has all of your skill ranks, so it's like having another full skillmonkey character in the party.