PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lord of the Uttercold

aloofscarab
2013-09-19, 03:53 PM
So I'm building a sorceror and decided to go with Lord of the Uttercold, since it's an undead campaign(we're all undead). I figure it'll make for great things if I blast something and heal my allies up at the same time, or at least don't damage them. I was also looking at the Planar Sorcerer substitution level 5 ability. What I'm wondering is this: Can I stack the two of these abilities on the same spell? I.E. I cast fireball and use energy substitution to give it the cold descriptor allowing the LotU feat to effect it so half it's damage turns into Negative energy. Could I also modify it with the Force Charged Energy ability and turn the other half from cold damage into force damage? I'm unsure if that would change the subtype from Cold to Force and nix my uttercold or not. Any help would be appreciated!

aloofscarab
2013-09-19, 07:38 PM
Anyone have an answer for me?

Toy Killer
2013-09-19, 08:43 PM
Yes, you can stack both effects.

You may want to have your buddies stack cold resistance or immunity, and then toss orbs of force at them for make shift heals.

aloofscarab
2013-09-19, 09:56 PM
Yeah i'll have the cleric throw Protection from Energy on them before we fight anything. That was my basic idea, but I really like the idea of half force/half negative energy..almost nothing will ever be able to go "i'm immune!" Thanks for the reply!

RoyVG
2013-09-20, 02:59 AM
Isn't cheesy stacking of Metamagic's the reason the Locate City bomb exists?

I think it should work, but I think the energy type distribution is a little off. First note, I'm using the Planar Subtitution levels as I read them here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040711b&page=1), so half of the Cold damage is converted to Force, I'm not sure how it is in the book.

You can modify the spell with metamagics before applying Force Charged. So a Fireball goes from FireBall=>IceBall=>UttercoldBall =>Force-Charged UttercoldBall,
In this order the energy damage goes as follows: Fire => Cold=> 1/2 Cold, 1/2 Neg => 1/4 Cold, 1/4 Force, 1/2 Neg

If allowed, you could apply Force Charged sooner, so it becomes FireBall=>Iceball=>Force-Charged Iceball=>Force-Charged UttercoldBall.
The energy damage distribution now is as follows: Fire=> Cold=> 1/2Cold, 1/2 Force=> 1/4 Cold, 1/4 Neg, 1/2 Force

You'll always keep 1/4 cold damage, but the Force and Negative distribution is differetn depending on the order of application