PDA

View Full Version : Shaman Build

Lord_Kimboat
2013-09-19, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

I've got to create a Wilden Shaman, 5th level, and I thought I would turn to the experts (you guys) to give me an idea. My character will be the party healer so will have to be good at that. I'd also appreciate suggestions of magic items - it's standard lvl+1, lvl-1 and one at my level.

So thanks in advance for what you guys can come up with.

Epinephrine
2013-09-19, 09:12 PM
Hi all,

I've got to create a Wilden Shaman, 5th level, and I thought I would turn to the experts (you guys) to give me an idea. My character will be the party healer so will have to be good at that. I'd also appreciate suggestions of magic items - it's standard lvl+1, lvl-1 and one at my level.

So thanks in advance for what you guys can come up with.

If you just want healing and protection, the bear shaman is probably what you are looking for. Specializing in healing isn't strictly necessary, however, since most healers can do pretty well at that role regardless of which build they select.

What is the rest of the party like? What secondary role do you want to play?

If you have lots of strong melee attackers, the animist shaman might be a good choice, while if you would like to do a bit of striking and buffing the stalker build is solid. Eagle shaman is best with a ranged party, and world speaker has a bit more control. The bear and world speaker have issues with their AC, and need to pick up proficiency with heavy armour.

Lord_Kimboat
2013-09-19, 09:26 PM
The other two members of the party that I know about are both fairly strong ranged fighters. One is a Dragonborn Elemental Sorcerer the other is an Elven Ranger.

I was thinking of a Bear Shaman, but what are the benefits of Eagle?

Gavran
2013-09-19, 09:32 PM
Watcher (Eagle) Shaman can grant ranged basic attacks, and your ranger can use it for Prime Shot and Hunter's Quarry. To clarify, your allies can treat any enemy adjacent to your spirit as their closest enemy.

tcrudisi
2013-09-19, 10:01 PM
With those 2, you absolutely go Eagle Shaman. Assuming you meant "Elementalist" for "Elemental Sorc" then it's really no contest. They will just eat enemies alive once you start granting them free attacks. Healing isn't as big of a problem because the enemies just die faster.

And, really, that's all I'll chime in with the Shaman.

Epinephrine
2013-09-20, 04:20 PM
How long will you be playing it? (if you are just playing a quick 1-off, probably worth starting with odd attributes and bumping at 4th). Are you set on Wilden? Wilden attributes work well for Eagle shaman, but less well for the Int-secondary builds (stalker, animist).

Here's a very rough first draft; some might say that you don't need to use a tome to get the advantage of Tome Expertise, and by RAW that's correct, but in my experience DMs like to see that you are actually able to use tomes and wield one.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Fiddenmar, level 5
Wilden, Shaman
Build: Panther Shaman
Companion Spirit Option: Watcher Spirit
Hardy Form Option: Hardy Form Reflex
Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 13, WIS 20, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 15, INT 13, WIS 17, CHA 8

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 17 Will: 18
HP: 42 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +8, Nature +14, Perception +13, Religion +8, Stealth +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Athletics +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +2, Heal +7, History +3, Insight +7, Intimidate +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Wilden Racial Power: Voyage of the Ancients
Wilden Racial Power: Wrath of the Destroyer
Wilden Racial Power: Pursuit of the Hunter
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Prey
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Shaman Attack 1: Claws of the Eagle
Shaman Attack 1: Spirit of the Tempest
Shaman Attack 1: Stormhawk's Fury
Shaman Attack 1: Dust Storm Binding
Shaman Utility 2: Engaging Pursuit
Shaman Attack 3: Spirit of Slavering Bloodlust
Shaman Attack 5: Shrieking Wind Spirits

FEATS
Level 1: Learned Spellcaster
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 2: Tome Expertise
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Forbidden tome)

ITEMS
Magic Forbidden tome +2 x1
Healer's Brooch +1
Shadowdance Leather Armor +1
Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier)
====== End ======

Lord_Kimboat
2013-09-22, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I've decided to go with a Watcher (Eagle) Shaman like tcrudisi suggested. It will certainly assist with the ranged strikers in our party and will still provide some healing.

tcrudisi
2013-09-22, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I've decided to go with a Watcher (Eagle) Shaman like tcrudisi suggested. It will certainly assist with the ranged strikers in our party and will still provide some healing.

One tip. And this isn't in building the character, but in playing it. You can easily do a lazy build (where you make no attacks yourself and only give attacks to others). Is it powerful? Yes. Is it boring? Yes. IF you have powers where you give out attacks but don't make any yourself, then I suggest the following:

Find out the basic attacks of the allies that you'll occasionally grant those attacks to. Most people won't mind (I certainly don't if a leader wants to roll for me on an attack they granted me), and it means that you still get to roll to hit and damage. Obviously this isn't for everyone, but I've played a lazy character in LFR (where the players change on a daily basis) and never had anyone object to this. I've also had people ask me, and I didn't object. After all, it's them using the power, really.