PDA

View Full Version : Spells & Tactics for a snatch and grab

aeauseth
2013-09-19, 08:38 PM
I'm a 12th level Wizard and I'm planning a mission to teleport into a fortress and steal an amulet worn by a 15 level ish boss. I believe the boss is some sort of fire giant (not certain). I will be bringing along a level 12 rogue/fighter. We previously failed our frontal assault on the fortress, I was able to teleport us away before we died. I want to try again, only this time be a bit more prepared.

I should be able to scry and/or scout the fortress layout (invisibility+improved blink+teleport). Once I've figured out the layout I will scry and attempt to determine when the boss goes to sleep at night, or at least when he is alone in his chamber. I figured if I got caught at any point I could just teleport away.

I do know the boss has a gem of true seeing. I figured if he wasn't on alert he wouldn't be using it. He also has a pet huge obsidian golem and several dozen minions (3-4 level?). When I scout I should get a better feel for exactly what we are up against.

The amulet I want has artifact powers, which include a true resurrection ability upon death. So ideally I will remove the amulet before the boss dies (a tall order). This is why I'm asking for suggestions. How do I snatch the amulet from the BBEG before he dies?

I was thinking about bringing along 2-3 extra melee types (cohorts/NPCs). Buffing (Resist Energy Mass, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Fly Mass, Shield, Mirror Image, Haste, Invisibility Sphere) and teleporting our entire contingent into the BBEG's private room. We should get a surprise round + I will use nerveskitter to hopefully go first during regular initiative. The rest of my party all do physical damage, so their tactics are pretty straight forward (possibly doing non-lethal damage).

My tactics will likely make the difference between success and failure. I might start with Dimensional Anchor (I don't know if he can teleport or not, but I don't want to take the chance). Followed up with a racial silence ability (to stop him from calling for help). After that I can use my lesser rod of silent spell.

Another option would be to use a wall of stone to block off his exit, and make yelling for help more difficult. Also prevent reinforcements.

If the BBEG sleeps, perhaps I could have my fighter disarm the amulet and we teleport away. Although the DM probably wouldn't make it that easy.

Pinning a giant type seems unlikely.

If the golem is in the room this will be much more difficult.

Any suggestions? My goal is to steal the amulet, but knocking him out and/or killing him (twice?) would do, although MUCH harder.

I have access to just about any wizard spell (level 6 or lower). My options to buy magic items prior to the assault are somewhat limited.

TuggyNE
2013-09-19, 11:24 PM
This seems like an excellent situation to use shivering touch to paralyze the target, defeat all other defenders however you like, then take the amulet at your leisure. Fire giants have below-average Dex, so it shouldn't be especially difficult. If you have a familiar, you could charge up the shivering touch on the familiar before teleporting, then win initiative and have it deliver the spell.

Fair warning, though: shivering touch is kind of an absurd spell.

aeauseth
2013-09-20, 12:01 AM
This seems like an excellent situation to use shivering touch to paralyze the target

Excellent! I'll use my rod of maximize for 18 DEX damage, no save! I could follow it up with a second (non maximized) shivering touch if he happened to have more than 18 DEX.

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-20, 12:16 AM
This supposes that you can just walk into the BBEG's bedroom and that he hasn't done anything sneaky.

Like secretly create a Simulacrum or Ice Assassin of himself with a permanent telepathic bond to himself (and under Mind Blank constantly to defeat divination's to learn its true nature) that simply pretends to be him inside of his rooms while his real "room" is built inside of stacked portable holes with the opening on the back of a picture hanging on the wall (that has a lead lining and a riverine backing that the hole is stuck to). That real room being under permanent Private Sanctum spells.

Radar
2013-09-20, 08:26 AM
This supposes that you can just walk into the BBEG's bedroom and that he hasn't done anything sneaky.

Like secretly create a Simulacrum or Ice Assassin of himself with a permanent telepathic bond to himself (and under Mind Blank constantly to defeat divination's to learn its true nature) that simply pretends to be him inside of his rooms while his real "room" is built inside of stacked portable holes with the opening on the back of a picture hanging on the wall (that has a lead lining and a riverine backing that the hole is stuck to). That real room being under permanent Private Sanctum spells.
Now, now, let's not get too paranoid. The warlord didn't have the fortress Dim-locked, so I wouldn't expect this level of protection. After all, what could possibly go wrong? :smalltongue:

Anyway, Telekinesis can explicitly be used to snatch a possessed object. Unless the guy has a high Will save or spell resistance, you should be able to get the amulet in one round. The problem is, you still need to cast all the spells by yourself, which gives the warlord enough time to actualy do anything. If the rogue has high enough UMD, you might prepare a scroll of Telekinesis and/or Teleport to shorten the whole ordeal by one round and most likely escape before anyone reacts:
Round 1:
- rogue readies an action to use the scroll of Telekinesis
- you cast Teleport into the fortress
- readied action goes off and hopefuly you have the amulet
Round 2:
- you teleport the hell out of there

Alternatively:
Round 1:
- you cast Teleport into the fortress
- rogue does something (is there an easy way to lower Will save?)
Round 2:
- you cast Telekinesis and hopefuly snatch the amulet
- rogue teleports both of you away

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-20, 08:49 AM
Celerity can shorten that to one surprise round and one action, as you can ensure that the wizard goes first in the first round of combat. You could teleport out before anyone could possibly retaliate.

Radar
2013-09-20, 09:41 AM
Celerity can shorten that to one surprise round and one action, as you can ensure that the wizard goes first in the first round of combat. You could teleport out before anyone could possibly retaliate.
Good point, so with the UMD rogue:
- rogue readies an action to use Telekinesis scroll
- wizard teleports in
- readied action goes off
- Celerity + Teleport to safety
all within one round. Hell, all within one initiative tick.

Without the UMD:
Round 1:
- wizard teleports in
- rogue does pretty much whatever (for example readies an action to defend the wizard or something)
Round 2:
- wizard casts Telekinesis
- Celerity + Teleport to safety

Roguenewb
2013-09-20, 09:54 AM
Scrying is a good spell if you can swing the save DC modifiers in your direction, otherwise, it goes poorly.

Radar
2013-09-20, 01:00 PM
Scrying is a good spell if you can swing the save DC modifiers in your direction, otherwise, it goes poorly.
They know the target first-hand, so it's fairly easy. Considering, that there is no penalty for failing on the scrying and they don't seem to be pressed on time, there is no reason not to blow through a whole day worth of spell slots on investigation.

aeauseth
2013-09-20, 04:26 PM
They know the target first-hand, so it's fairly easy. Considering, that there is no penalty for failing on the scrying and they don't seem to be pressed on time, there is no reason not to blow through a whole day worth of spell slots on investigation.

This is correct. We have met the target first-hand. So there should be no penalty to scrying. The fortress (and foe) is on the plane of fire, so I don't have ALL day, but I can scry for 12 minutes, wait an hour or so, they scry again, repeat until I get the info I need or until I run out of 4th level spell slots. Then retreat back to material plane. (DM has it setup so I can pay 500gp for a 1 shot portal to the elemental plane of fire). So I'm not in any particular hurry, although repeated trips will start to get expensive. I believe I have to be on the plane of fire, to scry on a foe in the plane of fire.

After our first failed assault we did manage to kill a substantial number of guards, so if we wait too long those guards will likely be replaced. But if my tactics are solid, it shouldn't matter how many guards he has.

If the BBEG has a high will save, I may have to scry on one of his minions (this will take much longer to determine the layout, and the minion may never pass by the BBEG's private quarters).

An alternate scouting plan would be to buff my rogue (invisibility or similar), teleport him to the fortress, let him scout while I hide. I can use chain of eyes to watch his scouting progress. Then teleport back out. During our first encounter the BBEG used a gem of true seeing to detect invisible creatures, so I'm pretty sure invisibility is good except for the BBEG. And the BBEG only used the gem of true seeing after the guards alerted the fortress to our attack. If we are sneaky and/or quick I don't think there will be any issues with using invisibility. No dogs with scent either (at least not that we noticed).