PDA

View Full Version : Hellfire Wyrm Options

Ruethgar
2013-09-19, 09:35 PM
I've always been a big fan of this little dragon, more powerful than most of the true dragons at 46 HD cap and more at will SLAs than you can shake a stick at with the added bonus of being spawned from the depths of hell, these lesser dragons are full of cool. It saddened me when I got my hands on RotD and they weren't an option. I would expect as much for a lesser dragon, but come on, who doesn't want to be descended from an infernal dragon? So I decided to come up with some options for review.

Dragon Shaman Hellfire Wyrm

Alignments
Skills
Adaptation
Breath Weapon

NE, LE, LN
Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge(Local)
Mantle of Flame(Su): Non-reach melee attackers take 1d6 fire damage(always active)
Cone of Fire

Rces of the Dragon Hellfire Wyrm

Descriptor
Skill
Spells

Fire
Diplomacy
Suggestion, Wall of Fire, Fire Storm

Bloodline as red except as noted here. Diplomacy instead of Appraise, Suggestion instead of locate object, hellfire wyrm replaces red dragon in Red Dragon affinity. Most other options as red dragon(Lineage feats, Half Dragon etc.).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-19, 09:42 PM
A Hellfire Wyrm isn't a true dragon, it doesn't use age categories. Technically its offspring would be Half-Fiends instead of Half-Dragons. I don't see it being appropriate for dragon-themed classes to be able to select a Hellfire Wyrm as their focus, it's more fiend than dragon.

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-19, 09:44 PM
What about making a mix of Warlock and Dragonfire Adept? Not quite infernal Warlock, not quite Draconic Invocation user?

Ruethgar
2013-09-19, 10:01 PM
The type is dragon, regardless of whether it is a true, any offspring would be at least half dragon with or without the template. If you consider the hellfire wyrm too lesser a dragon for the full half-dragon template, despite the greater power than many great wyrms(or maybe I put too much credit into at will Demand, True Seeing, Greater Invisibility, Greater Dispelling and Teleport Without Error), perhaps the fiendish and draconic templates would suffice.

They seem to fit fine with the true dragons for options despite not being true. They are quite fiendish and have several unholy abilities, but they are still a type of very powerful dragon not a demon or devil, however entrenched in the hells they are.

The hellfire wyrm warlock idea sounds more like a PrC for advancing Dragonfire adept and Warlock than a stand-alone class, but I like the idea. Unless I read that completely wrong and you meant just dual classing.

IronFist
2013-09-20, 01:33 AM
This reminds of the sunwyrm. I met them for the first time reading Year of Rogue Dragons and was really impressed. Then I found out they were not true dragons so I could not de a dragon-whatever related to them. Bummer.