PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily supressing invisibility

Story
2013-09-20, 12:10 AM
Say you've decided to run around with persisted Greater Invisibility, but still want to interact normally with the townsfolk. Is there any convenient way of temporarily suppressing the invisibility without dispelling it? Ideally, without suppressing other buffs either (an AMF would work but leave you highly vulnerable).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-20, 12:15 AM
Make a Silent Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silentImage.htm) of yourself and make it appear to be saying anything that you say.

Edit: Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Ionizer
2013-09-20, 12:43 AM
Assuming you're a wizard:

Hire a Cleric to cast Invisibility Purge when you need to interact with people. 150 gp per 5-minute window of visibility. When you leave the area or the spell ends, you disappear again, since it suppresses invisibility, not dispels it. Not sure if it makes you audible as well, but if not, Ghost Sound (or maybe Ventriloquism) is an option.

If you want something less cheap (in both senses of the word), buy a Lantern of Revealing. The Lantern has the side effect of possibly being useful in a combat situation, in case you run into other invisible things. Unlimited use (needs oil, but whatever), 30,000 gp.

In the middle price-wise: buy a Wand of Invisibility Purge and give it to your Cleric friend (or Rogue friend with UMD) to use for you when you need it. Also possibly useful in combat. 50 charges, 11,250 gp.

EDIT: If you want to do it without outside help, Corpse Candle could work, but it leaves you as a wispy outline, not fully visible. Depending on how magically-inclined the area is, it may or may not be an issue (probably not a good idea in a hamlet in the boonies, but the people of Sigil wouldn't bat an eye). Also, I'm not sure if it suppresses the silencing effect of Greater Invisibility, but Ghost Sound (or Ventriloquism) should fix that.

Psyren
2013-09-20, 12:51 AM
Bash yourself in the head with a bag of flour, then draw a smiley face on the front. At 2cp this is your cheapest option, though the townsfolk may not find it funny.

HalfQuart
2013-09-20, 11:30 AM
Bash yourself in the head with a bag of flour, then draw a smiley face on the front. At 2cp this is your cheapest option, though the townsfolk may not find it funny.
Or you could just throw a sheet over your head and cut two holes for your eyes...

Keld Denar
2013-09-20, 12:43 PM
Get a diminuative +1 dagger and put a Lesser Revelation Crystal on it. Just stab yourself I'm the thigh once a round for 2 hp of damage (1 if you have an 8 str). You might want to get Fast Healing though.

Alternatively, the Giant posted a bunch of his homebrew +0 Metamagic fears in the gaming section. One of then us Suppress Spell which does exactly what you want.

Psyren
2013-09-20, 12:50 PM
Get a diminuative +1 dagger and put a Lesser Revelation Crystal on it. Just stab yourself I'm the thigh once a round for 2 hp of damage (1 if you have an 8 str). You might want to get Fast Healing though.

This reminds me of the Giant's Haleo and Julelan story :smallbiggrin:

Elan, thinking Haley is dead (in reality she has taken sleep poison) tries to stab himself to death to be with her. Of course, he has way too many hitpoints and average Strength, so his dagger damage is minimal. He takes so long to finish the job that the poison wears off Haley and she wakes up. Forgetting the reason he was stabbing himself in the first place, Elan asks her to help him finish since her sneak attack damage will speed up the process. Needless to say it diverges from the source material pretty significantly at this point.

HalfQuart
2013-09-20, 02:29 PM
Also, I'm not sure if it suppresses the silencing effect of Greater Invisibility, but Ghost Sound (or Ventriloquism) should fix that.
Greater Invisibility doesn't have a silencing effect -- that would be Superior Invisibility.