PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Immunity to Negative Levels

Vaz
2013-09-20, 04:04 AM
Is there any way this is possible?

Keneth
2013-09-20, 04:14 AM
You can completely bypass the immunity by using virtually anything other than negative levels.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Pathfinder has Thanatopic Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/thanatopic-spell-metamagic) metamagic which, of course, only works for spells. Not sure if there's any way to make inherent abilities bypass immunity to negative levels, but if you find one, my vampire would like a word with you. :smallamused:

Zanos
2013-09-20, 04:17 AM
The Spark of Life spell works for undead, and the Humanoid Essence line works for constructs. I can't find humanoid essence right now, but Spark of Life is a 7/8th level spell that requires a will save, and if you can get them to fail that you're better off doing something else, probably.

TuggyNE
2013-09-20, 04:21 AM
Well, you can always get the target to hold a holy/unholy/anarchic/axiomatic weapon, according to their alignment, or otherwise use some other alignment-restricted magic item that slaps negative levels on.

That's not very practical, though. Unfortunately, besides humanoid essence/spark of life and dispelling death ward or similar, there isn't really much that's generally applicable. And, in particular, nothing I know of without a save/dispel check.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-20, 04:42 AM
What are you trying to inflict negative levels on?

peacenlove
2013-09-20, 05:25 AM
Dispel magic (and its bigger brothers) to the items / spell effects granting the immunity. They usually have a low caster level (for items at least) and an abjuration aura.

ShurikVch
2013-09-20, 05:33 AM
I am unaware of such immunity.
Which creatures (classes/items/spells/powers/mysteries/meldshapes...) grant it?
If it about energy drain immunity, then it protect only from Energy Drain spell, monster attack of the same name, and derivatives from them.
For example, Enervation spell completely penetrate it, and Fell Drain metamagic too.

Vaz
2013-09-20, 06:11 AM
I am unaware of such immunity.
Which creatures (classes/items/spells/powers/mysteries/meldshapes...) grant it?
If it about energy drain immunity, then it protect only from Energy Drain spell, monster attack of the same name, and derivatives from them.
For example, Enervation spell completely penetrate it, and Fell Drain metamagic too.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathWard.htm

It's immunity to to Negative energy effects, which things like the aforementioned Enervation is;

releasing a black ray of crackling negative energy

Specifically, Undead etc have bonuses gained via Negative energy, and things like a Vampire's Slam specify Living opponents.

However, Death Ward renders me immune, but dispelling the Death Ward is a viable enough tactic, as I actually thought that Negative Levels were far easier to protect against than they were.

ShurikVch
2013-09-20, 08:18 AM
Yes, Death Ward is one of the most powerful protective spells in the game. Even power of greater gods unable to bypass it outright.

But it protect against negative energy, not negative levels.

For example, Void Disciple have capstone ability Void Strike, which is inflict negative levels, but outright said not related to negative energy.

Mindwipe is [Mind-Affecting] power, but it lacks mention of negative energy, so I seriously doubt Death Ward can stop it.

Keneth
2013-09-20, 08:55 AM
Putting the few rare exceptions aside, negative levels are almost always the result of energy drain and/or negative energy.

And Void Strike states that it doesn't benefit undead, but it doesn't state that it can affect them negatively, so that's up to DM discretion.

Chronos
2013-09-20, 09:16 AM
Aha, I thought I had already responded to this topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304098)!

Venger
2013-09-20, 12:02 PM
The Spark of Life spell works for undead, and the Humanoid Essence line works for constructs. I can't find humanoid essence right now, but Spark of Life is a 7/8th level spell that requires a will save, and if you can get them to fail that you're better off doing something else, probably.

spark of life has since been updated to the far more reasonable level of 3rd as per the spell compendium

PaO would work. all you need to do is turn them into something living and then you can blast them with negative levels.