PDA

View Full Version : STarting to fix Polymorph/Wild Shape

johnbragg
2013-09-20, 09:30 AM
For me, characters like Maleficent in Disney's Sleeping Beauty (I could go on naming similar ones, but when my second was Jafar turning into a giant snake, I realized that my impending trip to Orlando was influencing my examples) are staples of fantasy.

I agree with this quote from the "PF--Am I Missing Something?" thread. It's a staple of fantasy and fairy tales etc etc--magicians turning into animals to escape or to be sneaky, or into ferocious beast-things to fight, ur-druid-ranger-types turning into wild animals. Magicians turning victims into frogs and pigs and such. Magicians using magic to impersonate some particular person.

It's not really a staple of fantasy that the wizard can turn himself into a huge variety of creatures, though. (Unless his thing is shapechanger.)

Would it make sense to replace the Polymorph Self spell with a couple of Feats? Edit--or maybe require a feat to use the particular spell?

1. Animal Shape. Pick an animal or vermin. You have the ability to assume that form X times per day/at will/etc/by casting a spell. You can take this feat multiple times, choosing a new animal each time.

2. Beastform. Pick something out of the Monster Manual with 15HD or less, or custom-build a horror of the same power level. You have the ability to turn into that (subject to the DM vetoing your custom horror.) Maybe you could take this multiple times--maybe if you custom build for a quest, you'd want more flexibility later?

3. A separate spell for when you want to use Polymorph to turbocharge your Disguise Self/Alter Self spell.

This would mean more bookkeeping when the player gets the ability, but less during actual gameplay, since player and DM have the stats of Bargle's animal form(s) and beastform.

Thinker
2013-09-20, 11:27 AM
Assuming that this is 3.5e (or PF), the problem with polymorph and its related spells is that characters gain too much flexibility and that their power increased anytime a supplement added more creatures to the game.

The only fix you really need is to have the spell (or spells) have hard limits on what it can and cannot do, as was introduced in PHB2. Here's an idea of what I mean (though this isn't playtested by any means):

Polymorph Self
Transmutation
Level: Druid 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 Minute/level (D)

Polymorph Self is actually a collection of similar spells. When you learn this spell as a sorcerer or wizard, specify a type of animal. To turn into different animal types, learn the spell again, each time specifying a different animal. As a druid, specify the type of animal at the time of casting. Only one Polymorph Self casting may be cast a time; if the caster tries to cast it again with a different type of animal, the previous casting ends. Your creature type remains the same when in an alternate animal form.

Polymorph types: Large predator, medium predator, small flier, tiny animal
Large predator: Size becomes large, gain 2 claw attacks that deal 1d8+strength modifier damage OR a bite attack that does 2d6+1.5 times your strength modifier damage, gain +2 strength, +4 constitution as an enhancement bonus, base move speed becomes 40. You gain a +10 enhancement bonus to disguise to look like an animal of your choosing.
Medium predator: Size becomes medium, gain 2 claw attacks that deal 1d6+strength modifier damage OR a bite attack that deals 2d4+1.5 times strength modifier damage, base move speed becomes 30. You gain a +10 enhancement bonus to disguise to look like an animal of your choosing.
Small flier: Size becomes small, gain a talon attack that deals 1d4+strength bonus damage, lose -2 strength and -4 constitution as an enhancement penalty, base movement speed becomes 10 on ground, 40 in air with poor maneuverability. You gain a +10 enhancement bonus to disguise to look like an animal of your choosing.
Tiny animal: Size becomes tiny, lose -4 strength and -6 constitution as an enhancement penalty, base movement becomes 10. You gain a +10 enhancement bonus to disguise to look like an animal of your choosing.

Add other types as needed.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-20, 12:18 PM
You could go the Pathfinder route, and have the various shapeshift powers be "fluff + static modifiers."

If you find that boring (and I do), the better option is to emulate late-game 3.5 spells like Displacer Form. Have different spells for different creature types, or even different creatures.

(And break Wild Shape off the Druid entirely-- it's too good on a full caster, regardless of form. Give the Wildshape Ranger the full capability instead. Maybe use a reduced duration but more daily uses, too)

johnbragg
2013-09-20, 04:46 PM
Assuming that this is 3.5e (or PF),

I was thinking in 3E, but the problem pops up in most D&D editions, so I went to the General forum. Although since half of my fix was "use feats", I don't know how it helps outside 3.X

the problem with polymorph and its related spells is that characters gain too much flexibility and that their power increased anytime a supplement added more creatures to the game.

Which is why I suggested limiting it to one form, by requiring a Feat.

Polymorph Self is actually a collection of similar spells. When you learn this spell as a sorcerer or wizard, specify a type of animal. To turn into different animal types, learn the spell again, each time specifying a different animal.

That patch works for Sorcerors, who have a limited number of spells known. Wizards can just learn umpteen versions. And druids....

As a druid, specify the type of animal at the time of casting. Only one Polymorph Self casting may be cast a time; if the caster tries to cast it again with a different type of animal, the previous casting ends.

So druids still have the ability to assume any animal form.

I think it's less broken and more flavorful to have the ability attach to a specific animal. Beorn has the ability to turn into a bear. Bran Stark can skinchange with a raven.

And then have a higher level spell for the wizard/sorceror to assume the form of a quasi-dragon or a hill giant or a half-celestial chimera or whatever.