PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder SRD in excel or other?

Tadrakyn
2013-09-20, 10:18 AM
I am working on an application and I would love to avoid all the data entry, I am looking for the SRD in a format that my program can access and retrieve info from. Anyone know if this exists?

ScIaDrd
2013-09-20, 12:38 PM
Iīm not really sure how well I can help you if I donīt know what file types can your program read without manual imput, but I īve done some googling and it looks like you can dowload the PFSRD from the site (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/downloads) itself as a four pack of WinRAR archives with PDF files.

They also have it avilable in EPUB format (whatever that is, never used it myself), along with a wide range of other materials including spell cards and monster cards for quick reference and some FAQs and adventure paths.
Hope this helps.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-20, 10:28 PM
Ooh, interesting. I'd love to see it when it's done. What I would do is make one type of search for each page type (i.e, item, feat, spell, etc), and then use regexes to search for the data (for a spell, maybe range, save, level, etc).

Tadrakyn
2013-09-21, 08:10 AM
Thanks ScIaDrd, I might have to do more manual work than I'd like to because I don't see any way of pulling from a PDF, but it's better than going through every book page by page.

Emmerask
2013-09-21, 11:13 AM
Well you could convert the pdf to xml.
With xml you can look at the structure and what tags are used, though its in no way a guarantee that its easy to write a parser for it then ^^.

Then there is software like pdfgrabber etc that allow you to export to excel... however I do not know if they are any good.

Psyren
2013-09-21, 04:12 PM
There are spreadsheet versions of various sections, like the feats and spells. I don't know about the whole site though.

Tadrakyn
2013-09-21, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys, turns out selecting tables from http://www.d20pfsrd.com and dragging them into excel works quite well. I may be able to save myself from arthritis and tendinitis for a while longer!

tasw
2013-09-22, 10:39 PM
have you tried google? All you need to do is enter what your looking for into google and the SRD comes right up with the right page. You really dont need an excel table or anything like that.

TheIronGolem
2013-09-23, 12:07 AM
have you tried google? All you need to do is enter what your looking for into google and the SRD comes right up with the right page. You really dont need an excel table or anything like that.

He's writing an application. He needs his data stored in a way that a program can easily look it up. That means a spreadsheet or a database. A webpage isn't going to cut it, especially if he needs it to work offline.