PDA

View Full Version : M&M 3e - About Create Power

wagnerloeher
2013-09-20, 10:31 AM
About the Power Create, for 3rd Edition. (Page 102)
If I drop an object on someone will it says I'll cause the object Toughness as Damage, the Toughness of the Object is equal to it's rank, so, in this case, 10.

So the Dodge check to avoid it is 20 (10+10 of the rank) and the Toughness check to avoid damage will be 25 (15+10)?

Also, do I need to create a HUGE object (rank 10 is thousands of cubic feets), or can I create a small object that will cause that much damage due to it's weigth/concentrated mass?

One more thing, if I have continous, movable, innate, precise and selective extras, at Rank 14, isn't it truly overpowered? Think about this:

Defensive: I create a sphere of steel around me and friends, opaque outside, transparent inside (full concealment to them, but they can see the enemy), hard outside but insubstancial inside (full cover, but they can yet attack from within it), at once (because it won't reach 15k cubic feet), and I can make Area attacks that can trap and damage foes, without harming friends (Selective) or structures, including inside buildings? Is that right?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-20, 12:34 PM
So the Dodge check to avoid it is 20 (10+10 of the rank) and the Toughness check to avoid damage will be 25 (15+10)?
Yes. Although remember that it's a Dodge check to TOTALLY avoid the attack, not for half damage.

Also, do I need to create a HUGE object (rank 10 is thousands of cubic feets), or can I create a small object that will cause that much damage due to it's weigth/concentrated mass?
RAW, it doesn't really matter. It's like throwing things-- it's assumed that the mass+force of the throw sort of average out.

One more thing, if I have continous, movable, innate, precise and selective extras, at Rank 14, isn't it truly overpowered? Think about this:
It's pretty crazy, yeah. On the other hand... you HAVE dumped 72 points into it (almost half your starting value, assuming a standard PL character). If you invest that many points into anything it starts to look silly.

Also, note that PL limits still apply when using the power offensively-- if you're PL 10, you'd better buy the last 4 ranks with a "Limited to increasing size" modifier or something similar.

Edge of Dreams
2013-09-21, 11:15 PM
Yeah, at that point you're pretty much the Green Lantern.

The things is, when you look closely at actual superhero comics, almost none of the heroes use their powers as intelligently as they could. You have to put limits on yourself, either mechanically through not over-engineering your build, or narratively through character flaws and/or interesting or conflicting goals and motivations. Otherwise, the conflict just melts away and you're left with the 3-panel story of how Superman saved the day, again, by flying faster than the villain can see, picking him up, and chucking him into the sun. Where's the fun in that?

Beleriphon
2013-09-24, 10:47 AM
Defensive: I create a sphere of steel around me and friends, opaque outside, transparent inside (full concealment to them, but they can see the enemy), hard outside but insubstancial inside (full cover, but they can yet attack from within it), at once (because it won't reach 15k cubic feet), and I can make Area attacks that can trap and damage foes, without harming friends (Selective) or structures, including inside buildings? Is that right?

That is all true, however your created object does have a few issues 1) it has a descriptor (some kind of energy field?) and thus can be bypassed in certain circumstances (immunity to a specific descriptor is the big one, insubstantial foes are another) 2) your Creation can be pretty easily damaged and unless you take your turn repairing the creation it will eventually fail (not that this is a huge issue really, but it is something to keep in mind) and 3) it is still limited to the Create rules a dedicated effect is going to be better than Create for that specific effect. Remember create is a catch all effect, is can simulate certain other effects but they are all resisted by Dodge which may not always be the best choice.