PDA

View Full Version : Whisper Gnome Ranger DWing Spiked Chains

tricktroller
2013-09-20, 10:40 AM
Ok so apparently the Cavestalker PRC (DotU) allows you to wield spiked chains at 4th level as one handed weapons. So I thought I would see what we could do with a build like this.

Whisper Gnome

Rolled Stats

Str 16
Dex 20
Con 17
Int 17
Wis 12
Cha 6

Ranger 2/ Sword Sage 2/ Fighter 1/ Cavestalker 4/ Exotic Weapon Master 1/ ? X

Taking two flaws
Fl1 EWP Spiked Chain
Fl2 Combat Expertise (For superior Finesse)
1st Weapon Finesse
R1 Track
R2 TWF
3rd Shadow Blade
Fighter1 Superior Finesse (AEG feat use dex instead of Str for damage)
6th Power Attack
9th Imp Twf

So this is all I have of it so far. Basically when I am 10th level I will be swinging two spiked chains that I get double returns on for PA, both will deal Double my dex for damage and both will be 1d6 small Kusari Gamas effectively.

Add in some trip at level 12 and its pretty gross I think.

SciChronic
2013-09-20, 10:46 AM
could dip swashbuckler for free finesse as well as int mod to dmg

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 10:48 AM
I'd have to check the wording, but I highly doubt Superior Combat Expertise + Shadow Blade would give you double dex to damage, but ask your DM in any case.

Depending on your DM's interpretation going Unarmed Swordsage might be worthwhile, since you could get IUS for free which means you can take snap kick for another attack with dex to damage and 1:1 PA returns; if you can afford them at level 9 getting a pair of gloves of the balanced hand (MIC) would save you a feat on ITWF which you could use for something else, I am a fan of staggering strike since you apply a pretty strong debuff without compromising your damage output.

Going Drow fighter would be pretty neat since you don't really really need Tower Shield or armour proficiencies (you will be in light armour which is given by Ranger in anycase) and it gives yet another instance of Dex to damage against flat footed targers (get loads of marbles just in case).

tricktroller
2013-09-20, 10:48 AM
yeah but that's a 3 level dip. Now if you could find more ways to add Dex to damage I would totally do a 3 level dip somewhere.

Superior Finesse says "You may add your Dexterity bonus to damage instead of your Strength modifier."

Shadow Blade says "..., you can add your Dexterity modifier as a bonus on melee damage for attacks made with the weapon."

So as long as I am using one of the weapons for the shadow hand discipline (of which spiked chain is one) then I get to add it as a bonus to damage whereas superior finesse replaces strength.

Drow fighter isn't a bad idea I just wish it was flanked instead of flat footed so it could be done with island of blades all the time.