PDA

View Full Version : High Level Wizard Spells and Strats

BathandWells
2013-09-20, 11:05 AM
Hi Guys & Gals, I am running a encounter this weekend that will put my players vs a Avatar of Vecna (without the godhood). I will be using the his Avatar stats from dicefreaks http://dicefreaks.superforums.eu/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=103.

My problem is I don't really know Wizards that well. What spells & starts can you recommend for him?

Things to be aware of
1. no summons (There would be a very good chances he would lose control of a summons so he wont bother.)
2. He will need a mix of damaging spells and spells to incapacitate (he needs to take some of them alive but not all).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Story
2013-09-20, 11:38 AM
Epic level spellcasting basically lets you alter reality at will subject only to the DM's veto. So I'm not sure how you could hope to beat that when played to the best of it's abilities.

Chronos
2013-09-20, 12:52 PM
First off, Vecna is the god of secrets. So you should probably assume that he knows exactly what the party's got, both in terms of classes and spells. Which means that you can prepare a specific counter for everything they have. Go through every party member's character sheet, and ask yourself "What spell would this guy really hate?", and then prepare that.

Captnq
2013-09-20, 01:46 PM
Epic Quicken Spells.
Quicken Spell.
Metamagic reducing crap to make it so quicken is like only a +0 level adjustment.

Crown of greater Maximize.
Rod of Greater Quicken
Rod of greater Empower.

Cast three spells a round.

Cast time stop, three times. Each one last 8 rounds.

Inside the 24 round timestop, cast Greater Dispell magic chained and chained MDJ on the players a few times. Follow up with Vortex of teeth about 50 times. The timestop ends. The players take 500d6 force damage.

Seriously. Do you even need to bother?

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-20, 01:58 PM
Time stop and action economy is key.

Good spells to look up are
Damage Spells:
Maw of Chaos, 9th: Spell Compendium
Shapechange, 9th: SRD

Taking them alive spells:
Shivering Touch, 3rd: Frostburn
Irresistible Dance, 8th: SRD
Forcecage, 7th: SRD
Dimensional Lock, 8th: SRD

Utility
Time Stop, 9th: SRD
Mordikein's Disjunction, 9th: SRD (Note using this spell robs players of items and is incredibly hated. If you can find a better way of dispelling spells use that instead)
Anticipate Teleport Greater, 6th: Spell Compendium
Foresight, 9th: SRD
Celerity, 4th: Players Handbook II

Really general strategy should be stack up as many buffs as possible, remove all of the enemies's buffs, and then time stop and hit them with about 30 spells at once. Contingencies are also very important.

I think there is a metamagic that changes spells to nonlethal damage. Applying that to maw of chaos will allow you to pretty much knock out anything in that combo that isn't immune to non lethal.

Optimator
2013-09-20, 04:18 PM
Enervation with gobs of metamagic, Chained Greater Dispel Magic left and right, and Freezing Fog can be fun.

BathandWells
2013-09-20, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! This definitely puts me on the right track.

prufock
2013-09-20, 05:29 PM
High-level wizards...

...definitely use Strats

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iH8eDlvZkEo/UZg9m6OHBlI/AAAAAAAAAwU/KDR0lngwPCg/s1600/Hendrix+4.jpg