PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Talon, the Blade's Shadow (LoL champion)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 11:18 AM
I've been playing League of Legends lately and I've taken quite a like to Talon, who is an awesome character and has a really cool skill set, so like any good D&D player I started looking into ways of reproducing him.

At first I thought I would have to jump through a lots of hoops, but to my surprise it is really easy to stat him up as a straight Magus since most of his abilities are easily reproduced by spells.

Mercy (Extra damage against enemies suffering from CC) is the mot problematic, but I guess it could be more of a fluff thing, for example using PA when facing an entangled/flat-footed/blinded enemy.

Noxian Diplomacy (Extra damage) is pretty easy, simply channel a damage spell and you are done.

Rake (Cone attack): I'm having trouble making this stay relevant at higher levels, at low levels Burning Hands and Fire Breath work, but they quickly loose steam, so I'm open to suggestions here. (I want to note that I haven't checked the spell list in detail so it is probable I'm missing some higher level spells)

Cutthroat (Blink attack and silence), the blink and attack is exactly like Bladed Dash, the problem is the silence part since it doesn't really translate well to d20 mechanics, so I can live without it, but if you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Shadow Assault (Invisibility and AoE damage): This is the only skill that needs a combo, but it is a rather neat one, Wreath of Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wreath-of-blades)s provide the ring of blades surrounding you and a quickened invisibility (via rod, or porting swift invisibility from 3.5) and you are done.

So what do you guys think? Feasible to work in a "normal" PF or 3.P game?

Frosty
2013-09-20, 11:19 AM
I think Talon just screams "Swordsage" and the Shadow Sun school has a lot of what you want.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 11:23 AM
Good point, I haven't thought about Swordsage, but please tell me is this Shadow Sun school homebrewed?:smallconfused:

I think you meant Shadow Hand

pilvento
2013-09-20, 11:47 AM
Shadow Assault sounds like a Shadow pounce + full attack + swift invi.

Im playing my own version of talon as a spellthief assassin. using cloud of knives as his signature spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 11:51 AM
One thing I really liked about Magus-Talon is that everything comes relatively soon and without much investment; Shadow Pouncing on the other hand requires a lot of feats and levels and it comes late in a character's career (IIRC the earliest level you can get Shadow Pouncing online is around 13-14ish).

Thank you for reminding me of Cloud of Knives, it certainly can work.

Frosty
2013-09-20, 11:55 AM
It's been a while, but isn't shadowing pouncing like a 6th level maneuver? That comes online at level 11 right? Since it's his Ultimate, waiting a bit if probably ok :smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 12:00 PM
It's been a while, but isn't shadowing pouncing like a 6th level maneuver? That comes online at level 11 right? Since it's his Ultimate, waiting a bit if probably ok :smallwink:

Shadow pouncing is the ability to make a full attack after using a teleport ability, to the best of my knowledge the only way to get it is via Tellflamar Shadow Lord (level 4 IIRC) and Crinti Shadow Rider, there is a similar ability via Blade of Orien's captsone.

The maneuver you are probably thinking is Shadow Blink, which is just a swift action 50 ft. teleport (which can admittedly trigger shadow pouncing), but it is 7th level so it comes at level 13 on a straight swordsage.

Edit: Wreath of Blades comes online at level 10 for what its worth.

Frosty
2013-09-20, 12:05 PM
Shadow pounce is not what I'm thinking of then. There is a maneuver in Tome of Battle that is 6th level that in effect says: Pounce on this charge. I am AFB so I can't look it up though.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 12:09 PM
Shadow pounce is not what I'm thinking of then. There is a maneuver in Tome of Battle that is 6th level that in effect says: Pounce on this charge. I am AFB so I can't look it up though.

That is Pouncing Charge which is a Tiger Claw maneuver and 5th level :smalltongue:, still while really useful it doesn't really captures Talon's Shadow Assault (http://youtu.be/RMwVCqkQoDE?t=3m35s)

Frosty
2013-09-20, 12:22 PM
There are feats in pathfinder (mostly used by monks I think) that allow you to keep on making attacks within a round as you teleport to different locations. When you go far enough down the feat chain, eventually you can flank with yourself (kinda feels like Dragon Ball Z). Would that help?

pilvento
2013-09-20, 12:52 PM
i know what you mean, its just that i liked to picture talon as a mage slayer. btw, for the silence there is the ring of silent spells in MiC. The ring creates a silence effect, centerd on you, and makes all YOUR spells silent, up to lvl 3.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 03:04 PM
There are feats in pathfinder (mostly used by monks I think) that allow you to keep on making attacks within a round as you teleport to different locations. When you go far enough down the feat chain, eventually you can flank with yourself (kinda feels like Dragon Ball Z). Would that help?

You mean dimensional assault right? I'll consider them.

i know what you mean, its just that i liked to picture talon as a mage slayer. btw, for the silence there is the ring of silent spells in MiC. The ring creates a silence effect, centerd on you, and makes all YOUR spells silent, up to lvl 3.

Oh he is a Mage Slayer, he works wonderfully against mages in mid-lane, but you know how that doesn't really works in D&D.

Frosty
2013-09-20, 03:09 PM
You mean dimensional assault right? I'll consider them.

Oh he is a Mage Slayer, he works wonderfully against mages in mid-lane, but you know how that doesn't really works in D&D.Yes, Dimensional Assault.

Also, nowadays, you'd more likely face a Zed than any squishy mage mid lane :smallbiggrin:

Still, ban Kassa-win and I'm happy.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 03:18 PM
I mostly play Blind pick (not enough champions for draft) and I see more Nidalee than Zhed. Still buck Kassadin, really buck him :smallannoyed:

Anyway, more on topic, another thing I am wondering how to emulate his weapon
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/204/1/e/dragonblade_talon_profile_picture_by_palasti7-d58a2t6.png Any suggestions?

pilvento
2013-09-20, 03:25 PM
An 1d8 Quick Razor?

And ya, i used to main talon mid in ranked but the only squishi mage in the current meta is lux and a good lux can outrange and zone any mele midlaner.

Frosty
2013-09-20, 06:23 PM
I wonder if Mordekaiser mid would counter the likes of Talon and Zed. OP spammable shield is OP.

Oh, Ahri is pretty popular lately too, but she has a decent time farming from range as well.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-20, 06:35 PM
As much as I like talking about League of Legends, let's keep on topic hmm? So for his armblade I was thinking on maybe homebrewing it myself.

I was thinking on 1d8 19-20 x 2, cannot be disarmed and leaves the hand free to hold (but not use) stuff.

pilvento
2013-09-20, 08:23 PM
As much as I like talking about League of Legends, let's keep on topic hmm? So for his armblade I was thinking on maybe homebrewing it myself.

I was thinking on 1d8 19-20 x 2, cannot be disarmed and leaves the hand free to hold (but not use) stuff.

i like it, can also be 20 x 3 since its a variation of a punching dagger.

and... i remember in pre season one, we al liked morde, now only a few knows he exists, and they lose