PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone thought about this fighter build?

BaronBrixius
2013-09-20, 12:38 PM
Hello! I'm pretty new to these forums so please if you see anything wrong with this post or wrong information please tell me :)

My DM recently started a Campaign starting at level 16, i decided i was going to play full fighter to see how being an archer could pan out. (I know there's probably a LOT of better builds but im trying this one for fun) All books open :P
A thought occurred after looking at Overpowering attack from PHBII. Ill show my build here: rolled stats of 15,15,13,13,12,11 Azuran Magic of Incarnum

Str: 15 +1 levels +4 enchantment
Dex: 15 +3 levels +6 enchantment
Con :13
Int: 12
Wis: 13
Cha: 11

Feats 1st - point blank shot
1st human - Shape Soulmeld (sighting Gloves)
1st fighter - Combat focus
2nd - Precise shot
3rd - Rapid shot
4th - Manyshot
6th - Improved rapid shot
6th - Weapon focus longbow
8th - Weapon specialization
9th - Ranged Weapon Mastery
10th - Greater weapon focus
12th - Greater weapon specialization
12th - Combat vigor
14th - Bonus essentia
15th - Dead Eye - Dragon Magic*
16th - Overwealming attack

Using the +2 Energy bow with a Splitting Enchantment attacks should look like this within 30 feet: 16 bab +7 dex +2 weapon +4 feats +1
(+30/+30*haste/+30 Rapid shot/+25/+20/+15 ) double from splitting
Damage 2D6+6 str +7 dex + 4 soulmeld +6 feast +2 weapon +1 30ft
If i used Overwhelming attack, THEN used a belt of battle for another full attack using Rapid shot and the like, Every shot would be double damage correct? if i rolled minimum damage taking no penalty for damage from Energy Bow, 28 damage minimum, Double for Overwhelming attack = 56.
if all 12 shots hit from splitting that's 672 damage O.o
now this is only once per day but what CR 25 monster or lower could survive that :P

Also Energy bow makes all shots Force if unstrung so no DR?
help is always appreciated :)

Harlot
2013-09-20, 01:39 PM
Is this Pathfinder or D&D?
I'm assuming its D&D as you refer to PHBII.

Is this 3.5 then. because in that case that build is incorrect by RAW.

First of all you don't get a feat pr. level?? A human fighter at level would have 9 feats. Edit, whooops.

Can't find overwhelming attack in D&D , there's overwhelming assault but in the description it sounds very melee:

Overwhelming Assault
( Player's Handbook II, p. 81)
Benefit
As a free action, designate one specific foe as the target of this feat. If this foe begins his turn adjacent to you, ends his turn still adjacent to you, and does not attack you, target you with a spell, or use a special ability against you, you gain a +4 bonus on melee attack rolls against him on your next turn.

As it specifically says melee attacks, it can't serve your purpose?

How do you calculate damage again?
Damage 2D6+ 6 str +7 dex + 4 soulmeld +6 feast +2 weapon +1 30ft
Normally the 6 str is not included when calculating ranged damage?
Why is your dex modifier +7 (from 15 dex it would be +2. What + 6 the enchantment?) And if so, that'd be +8 overall, but somehow I doubt it...
Feast = feats, I assume: Which of these exactly? How do they stack?

Double for Overwhelming attack = 56 No! What IS this?!. Where did you find it?

This build seems poorly constructed, as if you haven't really read the rules. Or maybe this build is based on some homebrew thingy from the D&D wiki?

Or, maybe I don't know how to read rules. In that case, sorry.

BaronBrixius
2013-09-20, 02:25 PM
This is based off of d&d 3.5 players handbook 2 looking at alternative class features for a 16 level fighter. We must have different sourcebooks as your description of overwhealming assult isnt even in mine. As for the bow, its a specific magic item called Hank'S Energy Bow which adjusts its strengh to the user. As for feats is it not in the players handbook for 3.5 level one, then every three levels you gain a bonus feat? Fighters gain one at first then every even numbered level.
As for the rest I cannot continue as im running low on battery lol sorry! :p

Harlot
2013-09-20, 02:41 PM
@number of feats: Mea culpa, haven't played a fighter for years. :smalltongue:

Am familiar with Hanks bow:
Energy Bow

Price: 22,600 gp
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 6th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 18) evocation
Activation: See below
Weight: 3 lb.

Simply drawing your fingers in the air near this finely crafted bow causes it to be strung with an arrow of glimmering energy.

Hank’s energy bow acts as a +2 composite longbow that accommodates a user of any Strength. Although unstrung, it fires arrows of pure magical force that deal 2d6 points of damage. As they are force effects, the arrows do not suffer a miss chance when used against incorporeal creatures.The bow can be used to fire normal or magic arrows, but in such cases the bow does not confer its damage due to force.When drawn, the energy bow sheds light like a torch.

In addition, Hank can use the bow to make power shots.To do so, before making attack rolls, choose a number to subtract from your attack rolls up to Hank’s base attack and add this same number to the damage dealt by the bow with any attack that hits. The penalty on attack rolls and bonus on damage rolls last until Hank’s next turn.
It's basically ranged power attack.

However, still curious as to where you found 'overwhelming assault'.

BaronBrixius
2013-09-20, 02:55 PM
Im so sorry the name of the Alternative class feature is called Overwhealimg ATTACK* it replaces the 16th level bonus feat. Sorry I cant quote tbe entire thing as Iim on my phone :p
It says "as a full attack action, make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack does doule the normal damage as do all of your other attacks until the begining of your next turn". Normally this is used for AoO builds but with the belt of Battle giving me a full attack once per day, it works? This is from the PHB 2 ill find the page nunber at home :p sorry

Zaq
2013-09-20, 03:08 PM
A trick that works once a day and only gets you one full attack isn't worth basing your whole build around, especially at such a high level. (I mean, in just 1 level, a Warblade can use Time Stands Still every two rounds, with no investment other than taking awesome Diamond Mind maneuvers! It's two full attacks instead of a single full attack with double damage, but that's honestly probably in your favor from a mathematical standpoint, because the damage is less swingy.) And outside of your 1/day nova, why be a level 16 Fighter? That really doesn't look like an interesting or robust build for most of the day.

I'm not saying "fighter sux, play a wiz instead." I AM saying that if you want to be based around hitting people at level 16, you need more than just what Fighter 16 can offer you.

Harlot
2013-09-20, 03:16 PM
Im so sorry the name of the Alternative class feature is called Overwhealimg ATTACK* it replaces the 16th level bonus feat. Sorry I cant quote tbe entire thing as Iim on my phone :p
It says "as a full attack action, make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack does doule the normal damage as do all of your other attacks until the begining of your next turn". Normally this is used for AoO builds but with the belt of Battle giving me a full attack once per day, it works? This is from the PHB 2 ill find the page nunber at home :p sorry

Yup - same book, you're on p. 45, I'm on 81, just confused because I thought it was a feat.

To THEN answer your question: Yup, the Owerwhelming attack feature + Hank + belt of battle + splitting does seem like a nasty combo: Hank would provide power-attack like bonus to damage, owerwhelming would double that (I guess!!! It does not specifically state that it only doubles the base damage. But that would be up to the DM to rule) and the splitting would give you a lot of attack rolls with potential double damage,

So really its all about whether the bonus to attack from the bow is doubled as well...
Also remeber that the bow gives you a minus to attack rolls.