PDA

View Full Version : If you had one spell...

Lanson
2013-09-20, 12:54 PM
If you could choose any one spell to cast in real life, what spell would it be?
Other than spells that can emulate other spells, such as wish and miracle.

I'd have to pick either Fabricate, or Body Outside Body

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 12:55 PM
True Reincarnate

Agincourt
2013-09-20, 12:56 PM
Dimension Door. I'd love to be instantly move 500 feet or so.

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-20, 01:00 PM
Shapechange.

If that is banned, Astral Projection, Ensul's Soultheft, Gate, Kissed by the Ages, Mindrape, or Stasis Clone. Probably Stasis Clone or Kissed by the Ages, although Mindrape is next.

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-20, 01:07 PM
Static Casting, bah! But if i had to choose a spell it'd be Unname, True Domination, or Aspect of the Deity, Greater.

Crake
2013-09-20, 01:11 PM
Dimension Door. I'd love to be instantly move 500 feet or so.

Why would you pick dimension door when you could instead pick greater teleport?

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-20, 01:16 PM
is it just spells, or are powers allowed too?

Captnq
2013-09-20, 01:18 PM
Prestidigitation, assuming I can cast it as much as I want.

All those other spells will get me captured and locked up for study. Nobody's going to look twice at a stage magician.

Ekul
2013-09-20, 01:21 PM
Shapechange.

(Un)Inspired
2013-09-20, 01:29 PM
Telekinesis, no question

Shining Wrath
2013-09-20, 01:45 PM
Working for an Aerospace firm ... Reverse Gravity. If I can start launching things into orbit with no rocket I'll be rich!

Lord Haart
2013-09-20, 01:56 PM
Kissed by the Ages

And then you'd learn that someone else has to cast it on you and you can only cast it on others. What a letdown!

Personally, i would pick Polymorph Any Object, and not even to cheese it (as far as it is possible to not think of any use of that spell as cheesy).

GutterFace
2013-09-20, 01:57 PM
Unseen Servant!

Venom3053000
2013-09-20, 02:06 PM
shapechange or maybe gate

erok0809
2013-09-20, 02:06 PM
Greater Teleport, definitely.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 02:07 PM

All those other spells will get me captured and locked up for study. Nobody's going to look twice at a stage magician.

I'm not too worried about getting locked up once I bring Mr. Jobs back as "His long lost son"...

More seriously, imagine being able to do this for anyone who's very rich.

Coures Polymorph any object is also a great way of making a lot of money...

Grinner
2013-09-20, 02:08 PM
Is this a one-time deal?

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-20, 02:14 PM
Find the Path. My keys keep getting lost.

Tegannie
2013-09-20, 02:15 PM
Fly. I've wanted to be able to fly for years :smallredface:

Roguenewb
2013-09-20, 02:16 PM
That evil soultheft one is pretty sweet...but I'd drift away from good pretty quickly.

Hypercognition or Moment of Prescience would be incredibly useful. All in all though, I probably have to pick Stasis Clone. Mortality is scary, and I want to live forever.

With that out of the question, Moment of Prescience. +25 to a knowledge or profession check means I could do some amazing things in my academic and professional life. The AC boosts would help keep me safe, and random things like Tumble or Diplomacy would make like easier.

Ekul
2013-09-20, 02:24 PM
I should clarify I assumed the ability refreshed. If it's a one time deal Mass Awaken. Animal friends ahoy!

Actually... Maybe Mass Awaken is just better.

I always wonder if somebody is going to bring up Apocalypse from the Sky in these threads

Tvtyrant
2013-09-20, 02:25 PM
Servant Horde. It is easily my favorite spell of all time. Drop a barrage of no-save items on the enemy (handgrenades in RL) and a life of comfort.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-20, 02:30 PM
Ethereal Jaunt or Greater Teleport or Teleportation Circle. If psionic powers can be picked, True Creation, assuming this is spell-like and thus has no xp costs.

Der_DWSage
2013-09-20, 02:31 PM
What, no Ice Assassin?

Also, making a note of whom to Ice Assassin first out of the powers granted so far...I'm looking at you, Prestidigitation. (Hey, it's better than having to pay for the laundromat.)

Amphetryon
2013-09-20, 02:32 PM
Cure Disease. Reason should be obvious (but I needed more letters).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-20, 02:36 PM
Greater teleport.

Really, they have to get pretty creative to lock up a teleporter. If they do catch you, you can teleport, unless they put you to sleep forever. Not even an explosive collar or tracker will work.

Amphetryon
2013-09-20, 02:38 PM
Greater teleport.

Really, they have to get pretty creative to lock up a teleporter. If they do catch you, you can teleport, unless they put you to sleep forever. Not even an explosive collar or tracker will work.

Suppose it depends on what you do with your teleports, and whether capital punishment is a thing where you do it.

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-20, 02:40 PM
Greater teleport.

Might I recommend you watch the movie Jumper and rethink that.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 02:48 PM
Cure Disease. Reason should be obvious (but I needed more letters).

Skip Cure Disease.. Just grab HEAL.

The Viscount
2013-09-20, 02:49 PM
Major Creation comes to mind for rather easy infinite wealth, but that seems rather a pedestrian use.

Forced Dream has many possibilities if powers are allowed.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 02:56 PM
Hmm... Thinking of it more, Simulacrum comes to mind (wonder how many hollywood stars have sold off clothing with a hair or something left on?) as well as Rain of Colorless Fire...

OK, Rain of Colorless Fire falls into EVIL, but think of what you would get if you could obliterate a nation??? And I think RED is a good color for evil ideas...

Radar
2013-09-20, 03:08 PM
All in all though, I probably have to pick Stasis Clone. Mortality is scary, and I want to live forever.
Unfortunately any iteration of Clone spell won't do, since it lowers your level and if that isn't possible lowers your CON score. Consecutive uses will inevitably bring your CON to 0 and no more clone hoping will occure.

I'm not sure, if you can make yourself immortal with just one spell and no outside help. It would be very simple between two people with Reincarnation, but outside of that I'd probably bet on Moment of Prescience to boost science progress in biology and medicine - it might be within the realm of possible. Even if not, it would make a lot more difference in the world, since it's effects would last much longer then the user.

Well... there is also the road of Gate abuse, which might lead to effective immortality through careful use.

Kioras
2013-09-20, 03:24 PM
Other then the high powered ones already mentioned, I might chose, Choose Destiny. The ability to warp destiny for the right path is more then tempting.

Maybe then i'd go to Vegas. :D

Roguenewb
2013-09-20, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately any iteration of Clone spell won't do, since it lowers your level and if that isn't possible lowers your CON score. Consecutive uses will inevitably bring your CON to 0 and no more clone hoping will occure.

I'm not sure, if you can make yourself immortal with just one spell and no outside help. It would be very simple between two people with Reincarnation, but outside of that I'd probably bet on Moment of Prescience to boost science progress in biology and medicine - it might be within the realm of possible. Even if not, it would make a lot more difference in the world, since it's effects would last much longer then the user.

Well... there is also the road of Gate abuse, which might lead to effective immortality through careful use.

You think I can't gain a level in a lifetime? How hard can a single level be?

Ekul
2013-09-20, 03:35 PM
OK, Rain of Colorless Fire falls into EVIL, but think of what you would get if you could obliterate a nation??? And I think RED is a good color for evil ideas...

Consider something like Opalescent Glare for people who wish to destroy evil- everyone is afraid of you if they look at your eyes and if they're evil, they die. As long as the universe decides they're evil, they get a will saving throw or die.

But if you REALLY want to be evil, Mind Rape. With careful application, you can control every person in a position of power. People have the personality you dictate

On the flip side, Sanctify the Wicked. Perform literal miracles as you turn everybody into virtuous people, sway them from their evil ways.

And then there's....

Word of Genesis: create your own plane, to your pleasing.

pwykersotz
2013-09-20, 03:38 PM
Time Stop. Infinite possibilities.

Radar
2013-09-20, 03:38 PM
You think I can't gain a level in a lifetime? How hard can a single level be?
You don't ask questions like that - it's as bad as asking, what could possibly go wrong. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, you might be right, but figuring out XP in real world is a bit tricky.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-20, 03:41 PM
Might I recommend you watch the movie Jumper and rethink that.

I've seen the movie. The mechanics are a bit different than greater teleport. Greater teleport doesn't have a rift type thing. Also no one said anything about other people having teleport.

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-20, 03:51 PM
I've seen the movie. The mechanics are a bit different than greater teleport. Greater teleport doesn't have a rift type thing. Also no one said anything about other people having teleport.

Touché :smallamused:

Lostbutseeking
2013-09-20, 03:52 PM
Miracle probably. Gives access to enough spells.

Failing that, Greater Restoration or Heal.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 03:54 PM

Failing that, Greater Restoration or Heal.

OP actually disqualified miracle. Same with spells that give other spells.

Roguenewb
2013-09-20, 03:56 PM
You don't ask questions like that - it's as bad as asking, what could possibly go wrong. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, you might be right, but figuring out XP in real world is a bit tricky.

OH GOD! I'VE DOOMED MYSELF! :smallwink:

Firebug
2013-09-20, 04:00 PM
Other then the high powered ones already mentioned, I might chose, Choose Destiny. The ability to warp destiny for the right path is more then tempting.

Maybe then i'd go to Vegas. :D

Cheat (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/cheat--3794/) perhaps?
Adamantine Wings (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/adamantine-wings--865/) would be fun, but I think Genesis (http://dndtools.eu/spells/epic-level-handbook--41/genesis--1134/) would be my pick... assuming I had connections to and from it in the real world.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 04:05 PM
Cheat (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/cheat--3794/) perhaps?
Adamantine Wings (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/adamantine-wings--865/) would be fun, but I think Genesis (http://dndtools.eu/spells/epic-level-handbook--41/genesis--1134/) would be my pick... assuming I had connections to and from it in the real world.

OK, now I've got a piece of Dialog from Fallout New Vegas running through my head. "Or maybe a Vault full of naked women..."

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-20, 04:05 PM
I thought about Teleport Through Time, but there is the glaring problem of having to avoid yourself.

Maginomicon
2013-09-20, 04:12 PM
Reincarnate can suck it, give me Stasis Clone. :smalltongue:

Seriously though? Wings of Cover.

molten_dragon
2013-09-20, 04:14 PM
If you could choose any one spell to cast in real life, what spell would it be?
Other than spells that can emulate other spells, such as wish and miracle.

I'd have to pick either Fabricate, or Body Outside Body

Dominate person. I could have anything I wanted.

ScrambledBrains
2013-09-20, 04:18 PM
Greater Floating Disk.(SpC, page 96.)

:smallbiggrin:

dascarletm
2013-09-20, 04:24 PM
color spray... I'd be the most fabulous.

But really, Time stop, assuming knowing the duration is within caster knowledge. If it isn't that could get awkward real quick. The only problem is that 12-30 seconds isn't really enough time to do much. Maybe invisibility.

Jurai
2013-09-20, 05:04 PM
Bah. You're all taking this too seriously.

Body of War. Then I can turn into a giant robot for one round per caster level, and get All the chicks. After all, chicks dig giant robots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdq13DAMN6M

Lord Haart
2013-09-20, 05:07 PM
Coures Polymorph any object is also a great way of making a lot of money...
Money? Pff. It's most definitely not what i had in mind (besides, there are far better spells for that).

DeAnno
2013-09-20, 05:09 PM
Would Gate even work? If there are no other planes in our multiverse I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do anything.

JaronK
2013-09-20, 05:28 PM
I'd take that spell that lets you de-age when you cast it. Screw mortality.

JaronK

Optimator
2013-09-20, 05:32 PM
Programmed Amnesia

Telonius
2013-09-20, 05:36 PM
For purely selfish reasons, Remove Blindness/Deafness (or Regeneration, depending on what will fix a bad auditory nerve).

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-20, 05:38 PM
Ya I think polymorph any object would be the best for me. I could polymorph myself into any kind of immortal creature, probably an angel or an outsider of some sort, make myself immensely smarter and also create tons of wealth.

This of course assuming multiple uses of the ability.

Flavel
2013-09-20, 05:53 PM
Commune.

think about it.

Maginomicon
2013-09-20, 05:58 PM
I'd take that spell that lets you de-age when you cast it. Screw mortality.

JaronK

Not to start an argument about "what spell's best" or whether "one's better than another", but even de-aging isn't going to protect you from unnatural death. Stasis Clone explicitly says you use the most recent clone, so you can have a million clones stored in metabolic stasis (bodily having the age you have at the time of casting, so you'd be as young as you were when you created your first clone) and thus a million lives in which to do whatever crazy things you want.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 06:21 PM
Maginomicon

That is pretty much why I'd skip on the clone. Don't want to keep coming back old.. :-)

Zaq
2013-09-20, 06:21 PM
Remove Disease. Hands down. You could make so many people's lives so much better. Even if you just stick to your family and friends, the benefits are so far beyond anything else shy of, like, Wish, which we excluded.

Though sitting here recovering from getting my shoulder replaced, I kind of want Regenerate. Gotta be honest.

atomicwaffle
2013-09-20, 07:38 PM
Stone to Flesh

Hello, Mt Rushmore...

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-20, 07:57 PM
Remove Disease. Hands down. You could make so many people's lives so much better. Even if you just stick to your family and friends, the benefits are so far beyond anything else shy of, like, Wish, which we excluded.

Though sitting here recovering from getting my shoulder replaced, I kind of want Regenerate. Gotta be honest.

Why not just get heal?

Jurai
2013-09-20, 07:58 PM
Because Heal doesn't regrow limbs.

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-20, 07:59 PM
Because Heal doesn't regrow limbs.

I think he meant in place of remove disease not regenerate.

chronomatophobe
2013-09-20, 08:04 PM
Momento Mori and either iteration of Verdigris come to mind...

I think I'd kinda prefer Greater Scrying if Soul Scry is prohibited, though.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-20, 08:20 PM
I'd say one of three: guidance of the avatar, lore of the gods, or divine insight. +20 to any skill check? Reroll Knowledge checks? Yes please.

AgentofHellfire
2013-09-20, 08:30 PM
Hrm...

Would Shapechange count as a "spell that emulates other spells", given that you can pretty easily duplicate flight spells, armor granting spells, etc. with it?

If not, than I'd definitely gun for Shapechange. There's just so much fun to be had with slight shifts in the body.

But if Shapechange fell through the roof, I'd then, hands down, pick Tongues. It makes foreign visits way easier.

And in either of these cases, if you're subtle enough about them you aren't going to be locked up for study.

druid91
2013-09-20, 08:47 PM
Control Weather.

Auramis
2013-09-20, 08:54 PM
Greater Teleport. No second thoughts or question about it. The ability to go anywhere I please, whenever I please? Why go with anything else?

Twilightwyrm
2013-09-20, 09:06 PM
Guidance of the Avatar comes to mind.
Teleport would have rather obvious uses, as would Heal and True Reincarnate.
Disintegrate wouldn't be a bad pick actually, both for excavation and...other purposes.
Though I have to say, Dragonshape would be pretty beast.

Auramis
2013-09-20, 09:17 PM

I have changed my mind! Miracle all the way.

If that's too much of a cheese answer, my first response remains the same. xD

Archmage1
2013-09-20, 09:19 PM
Assuming this is at will, time stop.

It is kinda hard to beat, really. You could do anything, with a bit of planning.

Baring that, transportation spells(ethreal jaunt, greater teleport)

If it is a one time thing, though... Much trickier. Probably something to make lots of money.

Krobar
2013-09-20, 10:06 PM
Flash Frost/Fell Drain/Enlarged/Maximized Fimbulwinter.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 10:17 PM
I'm sticking with True Reincarnate. Course then I'd have to figure out how to get a feat so I can make something to bring ME back...

Devil IS in the details.. Or in the spell if I roll 100 and the DM decides to be creative...

Averis Vol
2013-09-20, 10:31 PM
For practicality's sake, Heroes feast. the ability to never be hungry is probably the most glorious spell in the world. Also word of recall, because being lost sucks.

For pure enjoyment though, Overland flight is a no brainer, or maybe statue to **** with people. Theres also shadow walk which is pretty awesome.

Zaq
2013-09-21, 03:32 AM
Why not just get heal?

Eh, because I didn't check the spell description. I thought Heal only worked on combat-immediate conditions, not disease too. Heal works fine. May as well make it Mass Heal, if we want to dream big.

PrinceOfMadness
2013-09-21, 05:58 AM
I am assuming we can cast the spell at-will?

Shapechange, unless I have to pick real animals and creatures. Then it's probably Polymorph Any Object.

Mindrape, Superior Invisibility, and Time Stop are all good options as well.

rainstorm
2013-09-21, 11:08 AM
I would probably choose misdirection. It would make stealing and other crimes really easy :smallamused:. Plus invisibility is cool and you get a major image of yourself to control. Or maybe just major image for whatever illusion I want... If I wanted to be silly, I would choose glitterdust. Creating bombs of glitter at will would be the best.

Hyena
2013-09-21, 11:10 AM
Dominate person. Oh, the things I would do with it...

Lactantius
2013-09-21, 11:37 AM
My first guess was: Greater Teleport. but then again, the situation changes drastically if you can literally do it.
The Movie showed how it gave more cons than pros, at the end.

After rethinking, an altruistic motivated spell would be great, like heal or create food and water.

A.A.King
2013-09-21, 01:18 PM
Summon Monster IX or Create Greater Undead.

Because I can

samuraijaques
2013-09-21, 06:19 PM
I am amazed no one has suggested either of these

Glibness - convince anyone of anything. No save so it might be more effective than dominate person assuming you are talking to people with decent mental fortitude.

And freaking major image! Or better yet permanent image. Seriously though, illusionists always win at everything. Take over the world, stage an alien invasion, drive people insane, create illusory wealth.

Granted this is assuming you can use the spell more than once.

Zero grim
2013-09-21, 06:49 PM
Moment of Prescience, so long as I can cast it once a day or so this will allow me to either avoid very bad things (fort saves against disease, reflex saves against accidents) or id be able to succeed at anything I tried, if taking an exam only counts as one check then I could do quite well, i could even write or make things of unbelievable quality (assuming sufficient CL)

TrollCapAmerica
2013-09-21, 07:46 PM
Assuming the spell works as if cast by an appropriate level caster

Mental Pinnacle as if cast by a 12lv Sorceror. I assume ill turn back into a 12th level Sorcerer afterwards

If I dont and Metamagic is allowed Persist ahoy

Barring ALL that Greater Anyspell

Yawgmoth
2013-09-21, 08:28 PM
Assuming powers are fair game, True Mind Switch without a second's hesitation. Why live one lifetime when I could live as many as I want? I'm sure over the course of a lifetime you could accrue enough xp to cover several castings.

Doomboy911
2013-09-21, 09:03 PM
Unseen Servant!

Dude horde of servants why take one when you can get twenty.

I'm on the fence. Alamanther's return is a powerhouse spell but only works if you guys are around casting. Dream spells from heroes of horror is nice as well but I only get one. Polymorph any object is tempting along with gate but I thing the best choice by far is summon planar ally.

With this I can use their magic for all the shenanigans.

Randomguy
2013-09-21, 09:16 PM
Either greater teleport, heal or Servant horde. I'd abuse heal to get rid of minor scrapes and the cold, greater teleport would make my life much easier (no more messing about on the subway) (although to be fair the thought of a teleportation misshap is pretty terrifying) and servant horde would be convenient since they'd be able to help me out with chores and carry my stuff. I think "Gee it would be really convenient if I had a floating disk to put my stuff on" at least once a day, but servant horde is more versatile and would work just as well for carrying things.

Actually, I'd probably pick heal. I think that one offers the greatest advantage.

Ruethgar
2013-09-21, 11:12 PM
Create Life, hands down.

Forrestfire
2013-09-21, 11:13 PM
Shapechange, unless I have to pick real animals and creatures. Then it's probably Polymorph Any Object.

This is the exact same thought process I had.

Fyermind
2013-09-21, 11:41 PM
Spells are problem solving tools. They should be used for problems that are otherwise too big to solve without creating problems that cannot be solved.

Any spell that turns me into a walking hospital is a bad idea because it won't let me protect myself from the ensuing desire to use my skills for some other purpose. So healing spells are out.

Any violent spell is out because it won't solve my problems. (My problems don't involve me being under threat, I just want fewer people to die.)

I think I'd probably go with one of skill check boosting skills. Seems generally really useful. Any challenge I have on a day to day basis is solved by a skill check. A large bonus on skill checks would get me everything I need. (solving world problems is a synch with a +20 in profession marketing and +20 in knowledge global warming, etc.)

Zaq
2013-09-22, 01:23 AM
Any spell that turns me into a walking hospital is a bad idea because it won't let me protect myself from the ensuing desire to use my skills for some other purpose. So healing spells are out.

I don't understand what you mean here. You're saying you'd use healing for some purpose other than healing?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-22, 01:52 AM
Spells are problem solving tools. They should be used for problems that are otherwise too big to solve without creating problems that cannot be solved.

You should totally grab Greater Teleport. It solves the insurmountable need for transportation that cannot be solve with anything else. How else are people gonna get across the room to grab a soda from the fridge?

Vote Greater Teleport for president. Ask not what Greater Teleport can do for you, ask what you can do for Greater Teleport.

And if you come up with an answer, I have one thing to say to you. "!!?"

Not quite sure how to pronounce that.

I totally need to get some sleep. I think I just went temporarily insane.

Ruethgar
2013-09-22, 07:59 AM
I don't understand what you mean here. You're saying you'd use healing for some purpose other than healing?

I think he means that he might be grabbed up by an army to be used for war, or by a slaughterhouse so they could cut of chunks of meat and regenerate them instead of losing merchandise. Only having a heal spell he would be defenseless against threatening people wishing to exploit him. With guidance of the avatar, he can make a diplomacy check to avoid such a fate and then get craft(engineering) to solve a whole slew of world problems.

With that in mind I think I would go with Guidance of the Avatar instead of Create Life. More useful on a day-to-day basis(though you could create creatures with any abilities technically which is why I initially picked it).

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-22, 09:03 AM
I am assuming we can cast the spell at-will?

Mindrape, Superior Invisibility, and Time Stop are all good options as well.

Good points, here. Lots of people seem to assume these polymorph and summon spells won't be limited to...creatures that actually exist in our world.

And the OP really should have given a usage rate, a lot of people are just picking very high level spells because there's no reason not to. If you got [10 - spell level]^2 uses of the spell per day (cantrips/orisons are infinite use), it might be a tad more competitive...

Under current assumptions, I'd also have to go with PAO.

Rover
2013-09-22, 09:51 AM
Fly. I've wanted to be able to fly for years :smallredface:

You'll be wanting overland flight.
Same thing but all day.