PDA

View Full Version : Warrior [feat-based martial class replacement, PEACH]

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 01:00 PM
THE WARRIOR
class goals
1) To make a nonmagical but extraordinary class that is highly versatile and useful in most situations.
2) To make a class who is good enough in its primary goal -physical combat- that a buffed cleric no longer automatically overshadows it.
3) To make a martial class whose class abilities are powerful enough to match spellcasting without being effectively spells.
4) To do the above utilizing the existing mechanics of feats boosted enough to suffice.
base ideas
1) A feat is almost always weaker than a spell. Thus any class who has less and less flexible feats than a caster has spells is doomed to fail.
2) 6th lvl is top mundane human. 12th lvl covers most heroic or urban fantasy. 20th lvl is the realm of legends and demigods. Thus the class is given appropriate progression.
3) There are almost as many feats out there as there are spells for a single class list. Thus making a strong and versatile class simply needs a class ability that employs those feats as much as casters employ spells.
countering magic
Can be done, but also irrelevant; if you can do your own stuff just as well as a wizard can do his, you no longer need to prevent him from doing his stuff.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d10

Class Skills:
The warrior’s class skills (and key ability score for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str), plus three additional skills chosen at 1st level (the choice is permanent)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

The Warrior
Warriors base their prowess in all aspects of war on formalized but exceptional training. They hone their bodies to be able to reach and even exceed the limits of mortal ability and their minds to hold techniques that utilize that perfection to perform extraordinary, amazing, even legendary tasks. Warriors call these abilities "feats". Unlike the feats gained by other classes though who are, at best, minor boosts compared to their main abilities, feats are a warrior's main and only focus, and the extent to which a warrior both learn and perform feats is unmatched.
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Feats

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Heroic Feats|1/1

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Feat Access I|2/1

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Adaptive Tactics I|3/2

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Feat Access II|4/2

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Feat Mastery I|5/3

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Feat Access III|6/3

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Adaptive Tactics II|7/4

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Feat Access IV|8/4

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Feat Mastery II|9/5

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Feat Access V|10/5

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Adaptive Tactics III|12/6

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Feat Access VI|14/6

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Feat Mastery III|16/7

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Feat Access VII|18/7

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Adaptive Tactics IV|20/8

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Feat Access VIII|22/8

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Feat Mastery IV|24/9

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Feat Access IX|26/9

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Adaptive Tactics V|28/10

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Feat Access X|30/10

[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Warriors are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as with all forms of armor and with shields (including tower shields).

Heroic Feats [Ex]
At every level, a warrior gains knowledge of 2 feats of his choice though his own personal training and experimentation. In addition, a warrior can gain knowledge of a new feat after 1 day of training with someone who knows said feat or one week of study a tome or other source of martial lore. After he gains knowledge of a feat, he can start using it the next time he gains a level or after a month of practice, whichever comes first.
Warriors thus learn more feats than even their perfected bodies can use at once. Thus a warrior can attune his body to a number of feats as shown by the first number in the feats column, plus his constitution modifier limited to his warrior level. He attunes to a number of feats at once as shown by the second number in the feats column. Attunement takes 5 minutes of meditation or physical practice. The warrior is considered to have all feats he's currently attuned to.

Feat Access [Ex]
A warrior gains broader access to feats than other classes. He can ignore one non-numerical prerequisite (such as class, race or specific class ability) per Feat Access rank or reduce numerical prerequisites (such as level, ability scores, skill ranks or BAB) by two. Additionally, a warrior with Feat Access VI or higher gains access to Epic feats.

Adaptive Tactics [Ex]
At rank I a warrior may attune as a full-round action.
At rank II a warrior may attune as a standard action. At rank III a warrior may attune as a move action. At rank IV a warrior may attune as a swift or immediate action. At rank V a warrior may attune once per round without taking an action even when he is flat-footed and it is not his turn (for example, attune to boost his initiative score as he's rolling initiative or to respond to a surprise attack).
Adaptive tactics may be used a number of times per encounter equal to the warrior's highest physical ability modifier.

Feat Mastery [Ex]
Warriors can exceed the normal limits of feats most other classes have to adhere to. For every rank of Feat Mastery, a warrior may attune to a feat that normally can't be taken multiple times an additional time. The effects stack.
In addition, a number of times per encounter equal to his Feat Mastery, a warrior can use a feat he's attuned to that requires a swift, move, standard or full-round action to use normally as an immediate action instead. I.e. shift into combat expertise as a response to an attack, perform a combat maneuver or attack enabled/improved by the feat as an enemy attempts to move away or bypass him and so on and so forth.

ngilop
2013-09-20, 06:21 PM
I 100% agree with your class goals.

TO me one of the draw backs of the fact that a fighter was based on feast is that 100% of the non caster related feats are bascially good at lvl 1 maybe level 2 and by 3rd level are well.. pretty much pointless..

Just allowing scaling feast that base of of BaB is a HUGE step forward for a fighter (i.e weapon spec giving +2 dmg plus 1 per 4 BaB)

the epic presitge class Legendary Dreadnought's ability IMO can be completel broken up into class abilities or feats ( i did the exact same thing for my new fighter feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268577))

for me I think fighters should be doing acts that fiures such as Heracles, beowulf, and Indrajit. Yes to me that incldues being able to fight dieties alone for days before losing, cleaving a mountain and other epci acts such as that starting form lvl 15ish on.

what you are missing is just actual class abilites. getting a lot fo feats is good ( look at the warblade IDC what peopel say the class gets 40ish feats) you need actual class abilities to 'anchor' the class.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 08:16 PM
Well, the feat-based Warrior can attune to a given feat multiple times at higher levels, stacking the benefits if they're willing to use the attunement slots. So at lvl 15-20 that +2 bonus from Iron Will can easily become a +10 bonus and that +1 bonus from weapon focus can be a +5 bonus.

As for performing legendary feats, that is why I gave them access to Epic feats as their high-level class feature. Batting orbs and rays aside with your weapon or shield (exceptional deflection) or stopping blows with your bare hands (damage reduction), or moving across the battlefiend at the blink of an eye (blinding speed) or hiding in plain sight (self-concealment) makes for interesting high-level abilities that are on par with a wizard's or cleric's spells.

For "anchoring" the class flavor, I guess it is the same as with spellcasters; up to the player to learn the feats that fit with the archetype. Just like spellcasters don't have specific class features but choose them through spells, so does the warrior with feats. Hence the more generic name of "warrior."

Krinn
2013-10-10, 04:24 AM
Very cool class!
I'd actually nerf a bit of abilities to make them on par with how other abilities work for other classes.

Adaptive tactics: usable a number of times per day equal to CON modifier (minimum 1).
Feat mastery: usable a number of times per day equal to CON modifier (minimum 1).