PDA

View Full Version : I've been swapped into a Mind Flayer!

Crey Shadow
2013-09-20, 02:07 PM
Backstory read if you want (faerun world setting):

So my DM had my party of three fall unconscious whilst exploring a underdark dungeon. We awoke to find ourselves looking at our bodies outside of a large dome like prison, standing with them was a Rakshasa wizard/Psionic whose goal is to free the three evil creatures trapped within the prison. The prison was designed to keep the creatures contained for all eternity without requiring sleep or sustenance and they do not age in anyway. The prison was part of an experiment long since abandoned by a lesser god to see whether the evil creatures inside after long period of self evaluation would be able to change their ways and pass out of the prison. The only way to escape this prison is to be good aligned.

What happened:
The Rakshasa's plan was to use a variation of True Mind Switch in collaboration with the Mind Flayer to swap bodies with a good adventuring party allowing their own bodies to escape the field and then swap them back.

Mind Switch (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mind_Switch)

True Mind Switch (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:True_Mind_Switch)

So here's our party:

Me the Human Gesalt Fighter/Factotum switched with the Mind Flayer

The Elf Gesalt Fighter/Rogue switched with the Ogre Mage

And the Gnome Fighter/Sorcerer switched with the Succubus

How a Mind Flayer is Born (Shortened):
When a Mind Flayer is created it is done so by a parasite being inserted into the ear, which latches onto the brain-stem and eventually takes control of the mind/body and kills the host. At that point it then begins to make modifications to the body, Tentacles, height, hands etc. some of those modifications is the creation of the mental capabilities by modifying the brain ie:) Mind Blast, Telepathy and arguably the Spell like abilities that they have.

I'm taking my information from Lords of Madness

My Question is this:

What are your opinions upon the abilities that I should receive and the mindflayer receive. I understand the rules of mind switch but my DM likes to make logical sense.

1: I Receive the extraordinary abilities of the Mind Flayer Improved Grab and Extract. I know that you do not receive extra attacks if the creature has extra limbs but as a full attack a Mind Flayer attacks with 4 Tentacles which I would assume would be instinctual knowledge that would receive and since I get improved grab and this attack is basically part of that abilities point.

2: Telepathy, Mind Blast While Telepathy is a Supernatural ability, Mind blast is a spell like. I always thought this was strange since using mind blast your essentially attacking their minds with your telepathy. Since a Mind Flayer gains these abilities due to the modifications is makes to the mind, is it reasonable to say that my character (Who has more intelligence than the mind flayer) would with time be able to find and unlock these abilities within his own mind.

That said the Mind Flayer now within my own body, should he really be able to use Telepathy or Mind Blast since my mind is a basic humans without any modification?

3: A Mind Flayers Psionic Spell-Like Abilities, Same Argument and before, these are created by modification, should I receive them with training/should it be able to use them while in my body?

Racial Traits

I have a pretty good idea for these and just wanted to clarify

I would receive anything physical:

- The Mind Flayers Spell Resistance which is 25 + Class levels, now since my class levels transfer (I'm Level 8) does that mean I would have a 33 Spell Resistance?
- +3 Natural Armor
- 60ft Darkvision

- I would keep my Human Racial of an extra skill point per level, since that's about upbringing not physical and wouldn't lose anything other than feats that I no longer meet the prerequisites too.

- Would I gain any of the racial Hit Die that the mindflayer has? Since those are physical traits and not mental like the feats and skills.

And on a side note, a Mind Flayers brain is not capable of producing the enzymes that a normal humanoids does and therefore must eat certain foods (mainly brains) to substitute for them. So if thats true should my character upon leaving the prison not become extremely hungry for them?

And the Sorcerer in the Succubus, a Succubi's Charisma is based mainly on Physical, while a Sorcerer's spell casting is based mainly on their personality. I think it makes sense that he should receive the Succubi's charisma when making a check that would be more physical based then personality and that his spell casting should be based on his normal Cha score (I know that by the rules of mind switch it should just be his normal Cha but I don't think that really makes sense when you are in a Succubus.

Thanks.

Crey Shadow
2013-09-21, 07:09 PM
Bump, looking for some outside input

Flickerdart
2013-09-21, 07:16 PM
The source of abilities is not relevant. You gain all Extraordinary abilities of your new body, and none of the Supernatural or Spell-like ones. The only result that could be contested is whether or not the Mind Flayer in your body keeps its Telepathy (it might require a physical organ the illithid has) but you don't get it either way.

Anthrowhale
2013-09-21, 10:13 PM
Note that the feat Assume Supernatural Ability can let you acquire (Su) abilities.

Also note that you are setup to take levels in Illithid Savant, which is perhaps the most powerful prestige class in the game.

Crey Shadow
2013-09-21, 10:16 PM
Note that the feat Assume Supernatural Ability can let you acquire (Su) abilities.

Also note that you are setup to take levels in Illithid Savant, which is perhaps the most powerful prestige class in the game.

Did not know this, very good info thanks!

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-21, 10:49 PM
Double note: do not take levels in Illithid savant, it is one of the only things in the game that can rightfully lay claim to the fabled "tier 0."

Crey Shadow
2013-09-21, 11:01 PM
Double note: do not take levels in Illithid savant, it is one of the only things in the game that can rightfully lay claim to the fabled "tier 0."

Lol. More tempted. Does that make me a terrible person?

Flickerdart
2013-09-21, 11:10 PM

Except he doesn't have the prerequisites for the feat, nor would it do anything for an illithid's abilities because he's not "assuming its form through a polymorph self spell or a similar effect."

Crey Shadow
2013-09-21, 11:35 PM
Except he doesn't have the prerequisites for the feat, nor would it do anything for an illithid's abilities because he's not "assuming its form through a polymorph self spell or a similar effect."

I know for a fact that my DM would make a special exception for this because if anyone had the right to take on the supernatural abilities it would be someone who is actually in a Mind Flayers body more then someone who is just "assuming the form"