PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Gi-Oh

RationalGoblin
2006-12-26, 06:35 PM
Now I know you are rolling your eyes at this, but it's the show that makes Yu-Gi-Oh so stupid.

If not for the show, I except it would be a lot more popular.

Thoughts?

Also, If you have a deck, strategy, or question about Yu-Gi-Oh, post them here.

EDIT: Wow, half of that came out wrong.

The Orange Zergling
2006-12-26, 10:44 PM
I used to play the card game until the card designs got all sucky, and the theme strayed from egypt and mythology to techno-industrial robotics and flat out stupid robotics. :smallannoyed: But of course, since I refused to buy these poorly-drawn/thought-up cards, I always lost due to not having the up-to-date stuff. So I just flat out quit playing. I *do* have two God Cards though... the red one and the gold one, I forgot their names. :smallredface:

:smallsigh:

RationalGoblin
2006-12-26, 11:43 PM
I used to play the card game until the card designs got all sucky, and the theme strayed from egypt and mythology to techno-industrial robotics and flat out stupid robotics. :smallannoyed: But of course, since I refused to buy these poorly-drawn/thought-up cards, I always lost due to not having the up-to-date stuff. So I just flat out quit playing. I *do* have two God Cards though... the red one and the gold one, I forgot their names.

Three things.

1. Whaaaat? Robotics are AWESOME! So is mythology, but technology can replace magic pretty well sometimes.

2. Sucky card designs? How do you figure that?

3.Red's Silfer and Gold is The Flinged Dragon of- Oh, I mean the Winged Dragon of Ra.

To anyone who wants to know, I have a very tricky deck. I call it Traitors, and if you want to know the tactics involved in it, I'll just say Change of Heart type cards are in abundance there.

The Orange Zergling
2006-12-27, 12:25 AM
Well, I'd be okay with the robotics if it didnt start entirely based around mythology. Plus magic and technology do not mix well in my opinion. = /

As for sucky card designs... lets see. Basically just the concepts of some (most) of todays cards. To name only a couple, Berserk Gorilla, Anti-Aircraft Flower, Man Thro' Tro', Rocket Jumper... basically the idea of such things mixing together in one game just makes me roll my eyes and think "Stupid".

Now, I know most people buy the cards for their effects and dont give a crap about the artwork/concept behind the card (I'm not saying thats why you specifically buy them, but most people in my experience do), but I will not put anything which I deem a 'stupid' card in my own deck. That doesnt mean I prevent others from putting it in their deck, I just dont involve those cards in my own.

I liked the good old days of Summoned Skull, Dark Magician, and even Magic Cylinder. I think that the artists/designers have either all been replaced, or are seriously running dry on inspiration.

Just my two cents and a rant.

RationalGoblin
2006-12-27, 12:32 AM
Ah, I see what you mean. I recently got two Barrier Statue cards, one Drought and one Water or something.

They weren't bad, but the name seems so lame.

Yeah, I never liked Beserk Gorilla either.

McDeath
2006-12-27, 09:22 PM
How about the fact that Magic is seven times as strategic and fun, for roughly the same costs?

Behold_the_Void
2006-12-28, 11:34 PM
How about the fact that Magic is seven times as strategic and fun, for roughly the same costs?

Or the fact that Legend of the Five rings is seven times moreso than Magic, and costs a good deal less?

RationalGoblin
2006-12-29, 01:04 PM
Are you two done trying to one-up each other, or should I join in?

I already play Magic, and I dislike the "block" rule. It makes no sense. If not for the block rule, I would play it more.

Also, this "Legend of the Five rings" sounds intruiging. Where would I look it up?

Crazy Owl
2006-12-29, 01:39 PM
I used have good fun playing Yu-Gi-Oh with some friends. I bought a bunch of starter decks from America that weren't out here in the U.K and got some good cards that my friends couldn't get yet.
My deck was about half four star monsters that I could summon quickly and get early Life points damage in and half extremely high star monsters that I could summon because of all the easier to summon monsters I had to sacrifice.
I had so many 'I'm so powerful I can win the game monsters' that usually could aimed towards summoning one from the start. I couldn't play it these days because so much of my deck is in Japanese that I can't remember what half my cards do. It was a good game but I think it has changed too much now and Ive grown out of cards a bit much to play it.

Behold_the_Void
2006-12-29, 07:25 PM
L5R Info (http://l5r.com/).

L5R Card Database (http://www.l5rsearch.com/).

I think the major problem I have with Yu-Gi-Oh! is that it's a heap of hideously broken cards mashed together that are somehow expected to balance each other out. It's relatively fun, but it eventually gets boring having your face smashed in because you aren't shelling out the money to get all the cards that you pretty much NEED to play in any deck.

Expensive staple cards are the price of any card game and even my beloved L5R suffers from the same thing, but Yu-Gi-Oh! tends to cost a lot more to get all of the staples.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-29, 07:46 PM
I've played Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh and I liked both of them. Sure, with Magic there is some more variation you can have (not that anyone capitlizes on that) but overall I find Yu-Gi-Oh to be more enjoyable and strategic expierence. Again, there's cards that are good no matter what in YGO and its a generally a good idea to at least consider having them in your deck, but at least in YGO its not required that you do.

Example. My one friend who is generally very good at card games (is lucky and very strategic) assembled a proxy deck off of the card database online from all of the "popular" good cards. And I trounced him pretty damn well with a deck full of Gravekeepers with a very heavy Egytian theme to it. Multiple times. Heck. Every time I go through all of my Yu-Gi-Oh cards I can't help but think of new deck ideas.

And you have no idea how annoying that is since no one in my...well city pretty much even plays the game anymore from what I've seen.

RationalGoblin
2006-12-29, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I have to go 5 miles away to get to the only place I know of that holds YGO tournys.

I have about 3 decks, each with a philisophy for my foe to think about.

I've never played seriously at all, and only a few times casual, but I think I have 3 decent decks.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-12-29, 09:53 PM
I played it a while back, along with other TCG's, but the main problem is I only have one person to play, and after trouncing him fifty times (and after he dragged me into buying them all with him) he stops playing because it's 'boring'. I pretty much gave up buying any sort of card game that required more than one deck and fifty two cards to play after YGO. If your wondering, yes, I've played Magic once, but the same problem occurred and we didn't bother getting enough cards for more than two deck. Actually, I bought some enough cards for my own and he scavenged off the starter deck.

I typically stick with one deck, through and through, because in doing so I deconstruct everything and recreate a new deck, which takes at least half a day for me to go through every combination that falls into my mind. Also, having stopped buying cards, I really don't have any 'new' strategies to think up of.

Hmmm... I wonder, would anyone here like to try a game here on the boards? I could set it up if I get enough okay's. Pm me if your interested.

RationalGoblin
2006-12-29, 10:21 PM
Which Card game? YGO? Magic? Or something else? I can get a full deck of nearly any card game easily enough...

I'd prefer to play YGO though...

EDIT: Basically, what Callos said. I have an itching for a card game. Or maybe a scratching. Maybe even a buzz.

Hmmm.... (Ah, I just love acting like a psychopath)

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-29, 11:04 PM
Hmmm... I wonder, would anyone here like to try a game here on the boards? I could set it up if I get enough okay's. Pm me if your interested.

Would be very very interested. When, where, how?

RationalGoblin
2006-12-30, 11:54 AM
Hmm.... You know what would be interesting?

A 3-way match. That way, none of us gets left out.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-12-30, 01:32 PM
Which Card game? YGO? Magic? Or something else? I can get a full deck of nearly any card game easily enough...

I'd prefer to play YGO though...

Yah, that was my intention. I should have specified. YGO.

When, where, how?
If its us three, then how about today, Beta section, Play by post. I'll come back with the url once its set up.

RationalGoblin
2006-12-30, 01:38 PM
Righto then. Off to Beta I go!

King_of_GRiffins
2006-12-30, 02:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1756052#post1756052

If anyone wants to join a next time, I'll keep that open.

tgva8889
2007-01-07, 08:43 PM
Well, I don't perfer playing Yu-gi-oh over Magic, considering that I've won a $1000 scholarship off of Magic and, well, no one I know really plays Yu-gi-oh, and I've stopped buying cards. I do, however, have a fun and interesting deck (at least, I think so) that has absolutely none of the cards on the official Yu-gi-oh tournament Banned list. I abide by Upper Deck's deck restrictions because, well, cheap cards just aren't fun. Granted, if everyone uses those, then I guess I should too. Oh well.

I find Magic more interesting also because, well, all the names aren't off-beat crazy stuff, so I don't feel stupid when I refer to, perhaps, "Wrath of God" or "Urza's Factory", while when I refer to things like "Upstart Goblin" and "Cyber Jar" (Don't get me started on all the weird Yu-gi-oh cards, cause there's enough) it feels weirder. At least Wrath of God sounds like, well, the Wrath of God, though you think that if the Almighty were angrier he'd destroy a lot more than just your creatures.

PS: If you want a hint about my deck, I can't point any farther than Dragons growing up. It's actually rather hilarious that a deck like mine actually works, considering the reliance on high-level monsters.

Penguinizer
2007-01-08, 08:13 AM
Atleast the most broken cards are banned, once I made a deck that with some luck could deal around 4000 damage in the first turn. The main card is on the banned list though.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-08, 10:42 AM
Where is this official list? I would be interested to see how much of my super unbalanced deck is Illegal. Probably about half its cards. Had a look around but haven't found anything that said it was official.

Penguinizer
2007-01-08, 11:17 AM
Any idea on the price people are paying for a Limited Edition Chaos Emperor Dragon, Envoy of the End.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-08, 12:59 PM
I've briefly played Yu-gi-oh and Magic: The Gathering. Magic is much more complicated, but seems like a more deeply strategic game. Yu-gi-oh, on the other hand, is still fairly strategic, but its easier to set up a competitive deck with a wider variety of cards, and without spending kajillions of dollars trying to find the rarest ones. If I played either regularly, it'd probably be Yu-gi-oh for the sake of being slightly cheaper.

Also, the animé is fun to mock, without being so bad as to cause eye cancer, like...well, like Yu-gi-oh GX.

It's worth noting for historical correctness that the manga upon which the cartoon and game is based came first. Then Kazuki Takahashi realized he'd invented Magic for Dummies (i.e., people without inhuman levels of patience), and decided he wanted to be a millionaire.

tgva8889
2007-01-14, 08:14 PM
Any idea on the price people are paying for a Limited Edition Chaos Emperor Dragon, Envoy of the End.

Considering the card is banned, I'm not sure how many people want it. I'd say it's expensive, though, because the card is considered one of the best monster cards in the game.

Ferahgo
2007-01-16, 08:41 PM
Used to play it, when it had a brief vogue at my elementary school. I actually got my first deck, a starter pack, from some random kid at Wal-Mart, which was pretty cool (he just gave it to me, no strings attached. Nice guy.). But, see, none of the people at school actually liked to play using, you know, the rules. So, putting every card you own together and ignoring most of the rules of the game, pretty much . It... didn't stay popular long. But it was fun while it lasted. I think I have all of my cards still...

Doglord
2007-01-24, 03:14 PM
The comics are way better than the TV series.

tgva8889
2007-01-25, 01:02 AM
The comics are way better than the TV series.

They are called Manga, and yes, they are much more awesome than the TV show, because there's no "shadow realm". It's actual death now. Those Japanese people actually consider their children mature enough to understand death. Thank you, Japanese!