PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Artificer

akinra
2013-09-20, 04:42 PM
I used to play tons of 3.5, but that switched to Pathfinder about 5 years back. I have relocated, and found a group that is looking for a player. I have spoken to the GM and he is ok with an artificer. Problem is, I haven't played one in ages, and I would love some input.

Rules:
2 Traits (UA)
2 Flaws (UA)

Rolled stats Stats:

Race: Warforged Scout (Unoptimized race to help a little with optimized class)

Homebrew: You may subtract n from any HIGHER stat to add n to any LOWER stat. You CANNOT subtract from a lower to increase a higher stat.

Group to Date:
1) Kobold Druid.
2) Human Rogue Skill Monkey.
3) Whisper Gnome Conjurer Wizard on path to Malconvoker.
4) Strong Heart Halfling Cleric.

I will be the fifth.

My thought:

Subtract 2 from one sixteen to bring the 8 up to a 10.
subtract 4 from one 16 to bring a 10 to 14.

New Stats: 18 14 14 12 10 10

8 (10-2) Str
12 Dex
16 (14+2) Con
18 Int
8 (10-2) Wis
12 (14-2) Cha

Flaws:
Inattentive
Noncombatant

Traits:
?? No idea.

Feats:
Adamantine Body
Fell Frighten or Drain??
?? No idea on third.

Eonir
2013-09-20, 06:18 PM
Traits: Aggressive and Slow
Flaws: Innattentive and Frail

Stats:
14(16-2)
14(16-2)
14(10+4)

Feats: Power Attack, Adamantine Body (or mithral if you cant take that), and...idk...Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Jovar).

Skills: Craft (Weapons, armor), Knowledge (arcana, the planes), Spellcraft, UMD

Use Know:the planes to gain knowledge of a Jovar. Make one for half price. Infuse that sucker with Bane to whatever you're fighting.

When you get higher level start investing in Wands and Metamagic feats. Combine the two when you get higher level.

Level 15+ artificers can do just about everything. Great class.

Myou
2013-09-20, 07:12 PM
I'd go with;

High cha just isn't worth reducing one of those juicy 16's for - all cha does for you is boost your UMD, but it's a static boost that will cease to matter once you gain a few levels, and skill ranks take over. In contrast, con, dex and int govern essentially every important aspect of your character. Apart from will saves, but you have a good will save anyway.

akinra
2013-09-20, 07:14 PM
Slow would be painful for a 20' base move race I think. (reduce move to 10')

I like Aggressive, and possibly frail though.

I am not sure if I want to be a front line combatant. Generally I don't mind, but I want to be the guy who makes everyone else shine, not the glowing ball of awesomeness in the middle of the group.

Jovar looks amazing, especially if I can get the resin, but I think it would be better to save up my GM favor casche for something a little less obvious. :smallcool:

A little more research has landed me with this idea:

Noncombatant (-2 to all melee rolls)
Inattentive (-4 to Spot and Listen checks)

Aggressive (+2 init, -1 to Armor Class)
Slippery (+1 to avoid or escape grapples, -1 otherwise on grapple checks)

Race = Warforged Scout (+2 Dex, -2 Wis, Cha, Str)

Initial Stats:
10 Str 10 Dex 14 Con 18 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha

After Racials:
8 Str 12 Dex 14 Con 18 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha

Skills Points = 32, 8 Skills at 4 each:

Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Planes), Craft (Weaponsmith), Craft (Armorsmith), Craft (Sculpting), Spellcraft, Use Magical Devices, Concentration

Feats:
Adamantine Body, Fell Drain (Not yet approved), and still at a loss. Thinking either Extend or Reach spell. Reach for healing while staying out of combat, Extend so my buffs last a good long time, and pre-req for Persist. . .