PDA

View Full Version : Help! My PCs may have gotten pet dragons.

JoshuaZ
2013-09-20, 04:58 PM
If you are in the Gerarn campaign please stay out of this thread.

In the 3.5/PF campaign I'm running, two sessions ago, the PCs captured a sorcerer who was working with the bad guys organization, the Telnathi, a nasty set of mages who have been implanting undead cysts into things to control them (with the mechanics using the necrotic cysts from Libris Mortis). They wanted info from the guy but were pretty certain that he wasn't going to be very cooperative. So, last session, they arranged a situation where they pretended to be a rescue group from the Telnathi who woke the guy up and asked him about the situation and what had been happening. They arranged it to look like he had been unconscious when he had been "rescued" from the PCs and their allies and taken to a safe-house in the city. They managed to get the details close to correct and got a lot of info that I wasn't expecting them to get at all.

Now, here's the problem: The chief bad guy has had a bunch of necrotic cysts implanted into dragons that he's then used necrotic tumor on. (He encysted and tumored then shortly after they were hatched). In order to allow his subordinates to use them, he's given then command codes for basic instructions (go here, attack that, etc.) Now here's the problem: The PCs managed to get from the captive sorcerer some of the command codes for the local set of dragons, and they already know where the bad guys were keeping dragons near the city. The party is level 8. Having four young adult dragons at their command is not ok.

One of the party members (the one who is of draconic descent) wants to just immediately tell the dragons to fly to a specific location where there's an elder dragon they've had dealings with before who was at one point the high priest of a vengeance deity in setting and let him take care of it (as well as presumbably putting these dragons out of their misery with whatever respect and honors he feels appropriate). However, I estimate a high chance that some of the other PCs will feel differently. Suggestions on how to deal with this?

Right now, the best idea I've got, is that the Telnathi have already worked out a spell that duplicate necrotic burst that can go through a necrotic scrying link. The PCs have seen this action. So I could have that occur after they try to use the dragons shortly, but for plot specific reasons, it isn't that likely that the Telnathi will be scrying on their dragons that frequently.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-20, 05:42 PM
If the PCs try to exploit the dragons, the bad guys have Permanency Telepathic Bond with the dragons and they're programmed to report every order they receive in case of misuse, so the baddies will notice and change their codes immediately. If the PCs send the dragons off to the elder dragon to get freed from the baddies' control, none of the bad guys will notice until it's too late.