PDA

View Full Version : Undying Loyalty - Plausible?

Morithias
2013-09-20, 06:01 PM
I was flipping through Ultimate Campaign when I came across something I hadn't seen before. On page 201 under "Ruler".

"If you have the Leadership feat, the bonus from the feat applies to all kingdom attributes you affect (one, two, or three attributes, depending on the kingdom’s Size)."

Now my group usually plays what we call "3.K" which basically means "pathfinder where stuff from 3.5 is allowed".

Okay let's say you're a level 4 human. One level in some class, and La +3 from fire souled template.

Let's say you start with a charisma of 14 + 2 human + 2 magic blooded + 4 fire souled. Charisma score of 22 for (+6)

Then as your level 1 and human feats you take "Noble birth" (+2), and "Rulership" (+4).

Your charisma score is +6, and your Leadership score is +4 (level) +2 (noble) +4 (rulership), for +10, +16 if the charisma bonus on your leadership score stacks.

What this means is that your ruler now gives the kingdom a +16/+22 bonus to loyalty, the instant she starts an empire.

The Control DCs for an empire are "The base DC for a control check is equal to 20 + the kingdom’s Size in hexes + the total number of districts in all your settlements + any other modifiers from special circumstances or effects."

So basically when you start a new empire, with literally nothing in it but one small village the DC is 20 + 1 + 1 = 22.

1d20+16 on a DC 22 check, and this is on the ruler alone. Without getting into any of the rest of the council's bonuses on loyalty, economy, stability, etc, and before you place any buildings that affect loyalty.

Quite frankly, having a kingdom where the people don't rebel is a joke in kingmaker. Especially when you consider that there's only one loyalty/stability score for the whole kingdom. You don't check loyalty for each race like you do in AEG Empire.

Realistic? Maybe not. But this is gaming, and it wouldn't be very fun if the pieces could rebel now would it?

Ranos
2013-09-20, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Campaign is not a very good book. This is one of the many rules from it you should learn to ignore.

Morithias
2013-09-20, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Campaign is not a very good book. This is one of the many rules from it you should learn to ignore.

Mind telling me a better Empire running system then?

icefractal
2013-09-21, 12:46 AM
Prepare to be underwhelmed:

Benefit(s): This explains the benefit to your kingdom if you have a character in this role. If you have the Leadership feat, increase this benefit by 1. If this section gives you a choice of two ability scores, use whichever is highest.
The benefit from the Leadership feat is an entire ... +1. Which you can apply to two or three scores if your kingdom is large enough and you're the ruler.

Not that it's hard to boost your scores to "doesn't fail" levels regardless.

Ranos
2013-09-21, 02:24 AM
Prepare to be underwhelmed:

I think you may be looking in the wrong place. It's a ruler-specific thing.

If you have the Leadership feat, the bonus from the feat applies to all kingdom attributes you affect (one, two, or three attributes, depending on the kingdom's Size).

Edit : Oh, wait, I see what you mean. Yes, that's much more reasonable.

Mind telling me a better Empire running system then?
The original kingmaker system was flawed, but still better.
I've also used this (http://kingmake.wikidot.com/) in an earlier kingmaker-like campaign, which worked alright. I think the changes in that system are mostly to mass combat, kingdom-running is almost untouched from the original kingmaker system.

Right now I'm using this (http://kingmakev2.wikidot.com/), a copypasted version of that other guy's set of rules, but with some personal adjustments. I haven't used that last one enough yet to tell you how well it works.