PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Worst you can do in E6?

Toy Killer
2013-09-20, 06:51 PM
If I told you, you can make a character with:

25 point buy,
E6 with half of WBL for level 6
all Paizo official printed book available
No on-going "story effects" (IE, you can't have benefits of an Otyguh hole, I don't know anything like that for Pathfinder, but covering ground here)

What is the most broken character you could make? I'm thinking about running a massive D&D event, and want to regulate Party issues to the Party leader, allowing them sub-DM capacity so I can focus on the story for each group.

Manly Man
2013-09-20, 07:09 PM
Gestalt or no?

Saidoro
2013-09-20, 08:51 PM
Blasters can be pretty effective in e6, they're feat hungry and don't last into higher levels but neither is really an issue. Crossblooded draconic/primal fire tattooed sorcerer with wayang spellhunter and magical lineage set to scorching ray. Add on empower spell and elemental spell if needed. That'll give 12d6+24 damage in any element you want at levels where that still matters. Add on spell specialization, pyromancer gnome and bloat mage and you can take it up to 18d6+36.

Also, the pack lord druid archetype should be banned outright. The least broken thing they could do with it is have three full power animal companions by taking boon companion thrice. More likely they'll grab six boon companions, the huntsmaster feat and and the eye for talent racial trait and have six slightly better than full power animal companions from a fairly desirable list(normally the change at 4 list isn't too good. But when you never reach 7...)

Gestalt or no?
:smallconfused: Pretty sure he would have said if it was. Gestalt isn't common and is less so in pathfinder.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-20, 08:53 PM
Syntheist Summoner gunner? Get massive stat boosts and four touch attacks a turn?

avr
2013-09-20, 09:18 PM
It's more odd than broken at this level, but Paragon Surge for spell access works for 6th level characters.

Nature mystery oracle with the bonded mount revelation and certain races can get an effective druid level of 9th via favored class options. A 9HD wolf will seriously embarrass some mundane characters.

Saidoro
2013-09-20, 09:23 PM
Nature mystery oracle with the bonded mount revelation and certain races can get an effective druid level of 9th via favored class options. A 9HD wolf will seriously embarrass some mundane characters.
Clever. I've never thought of that one.

avr
2013-09-20, 09:28 PM
Clever. I've never thought of that one.
I can't honestly take credit for inventing it.

Toy Killer
2013-09-21, 12:43 AM
No gestalt, no rule variants while I'm at it.

So, Sytheist summoner and bonded nature oracle?

I'm looking for things to limit ahead of time, to keep the different parties in relatively fair standings.

JusticeZero
2013-09-21, 12:57 AM
Boon Companion seems to be made to bring total companion HD up to character level but not farther. Declare that interpretation before hand.
Also, reports indicate that barbarian characters can get very tanky and able to defeat lots of counters with sufficient extra rage powers.

TiaC
2013-09-21, 01:03 AM
Summoners in general are strong in E6 because of the ability to just keep adding evolutions. Extra hexes, mysteries or arcana just don't match up due to action economy issues. Hexcrafter Magus can get pretty powerful because it draws from two lists of extra abilities.

Toy Killer
2013-09-21, 12:40 PM
So, should I generally ban summoners, or put a limit on the feat for extra evolutions?

Eldonauran
2013-09-21, 01:04 PM
So, should I generally ban summoners, or put a limit on the feat for extra evolutions?

I'd cap any use of the 'Extra ____' feats to a max of character level. IE, you can take these feats as many times as you wish, up to a maxmimum of your current character level.

That should limit potential abuse.

Toy Killer
2013-09-21, 01:06 PM
well, E6 caps at level 6, and then just grants a feat per level there after.

So capping the extra ______ feats at 6? seems a bit high honestly...

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-21, 01:24 PM
It shouldn't be a big issue unless you're starting/planning to run well into the epic part of E6.

grarrrg
2013-09-21, 01:36 PM
I'd cap any use of the 'Extra ____' feats to a max of character level. IE, you can take these feats as many times as you wish, up to a maxmimum of your current character level.

That should limit potential abuse.

Most Extra feats don't have strict limits, but they DO have 'effective' limits.

Extra Evolution (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/extra-evolution) does have a strict limit.
"Special: This evolution can be taken once at 1st level, and again at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th."

Also, things like "Extra Rage Power" or "Extra Hex" can only get you so far, because there are only so many Rage Powers/Hexes/Etc... that a 6th level character can qualify for.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-21, 02:26 PM
I'm fairly certain a Witch with leadership could do nasty things by creating her own coven and super boosting the save DC's

Zonugal
2013-09-21, 03:19 PM
I'm fairly certain a Witch with leadership could do nasty things by creating her own coven and super boosting the save DC's

Leadership requires a character level of seven.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-21, 04:28 PM
Leadership requires a character level of seven.

Ah yes PF raised the level requirement by 1.

Psyren
2013-09-21, 04:34 PM
Also, things like "Extra Rage Power" or "Extra Hex" can only get you so far, because there are only so many Rage Powers/Hexes/Etc... that a 6th level character can qualify for.

This. I wouldn't worry too much about the "Extra X" feats.

Summoners, as others have pointed out, will likely be your biggest problem. You may just want to save yourself the hassle and ban them completely.

Toy Killer
2013-09-21, 05:05 PM
Well, the nature of the plane itself will cause Summoners a lot of interesting problems to say the least, regardless of being 'Summoners', 'Druids', 'Conjurers', or 'Clerics'.

I've recognized early on that Clerics will have a steep power curve with the Bad guys being Devils, Demons and Undead. I also recognized that summon X spells have a lot of genuine utility. I will let the players know about these issues before the game starts and they will be nerfed by the setting itself.

Psyren
2013-09-21, 05:06 PM
You mean Channel Energy? It's pretty weak and will half to boot, plus many of the creatures that fall in the types you mentioned have channel resistance of some kind. I wouldn't worry too much about that either.

Channel is used more for group healing in PF than offensively. especially since a feat lets you heal as a move action.

Toy Killer
2013-09-21, 05:08 PM
Don't clerics still have a verity of spells meant to deal specifically with Outsiders and methods of dealing with [EVIL] monsters? or has that aspect subsided in Pathfinder?

Bhaakon
2013-09-21, 05:20 PM
Don't clerics still have a verity of spells meant to deal specifically with Outsiders and methods of dealing with [EVIL] monsters? or has that aspect subsided in Pathfinder?

Not if they cap at 3rd level spells. There are some undead-specific spells that low on the list, but not so much for combating outsiders (at least nothing exclusive to clerics).

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-21, 05:21 PM
Well, the nature of the plane itself will cause Summoners a lot of interesting problems to say the least, regardless of being 'Summoners', 'Druids', 'Conjurers', or 'Clerics'.

What are these problems that conjuring monsters may face? Knowing details about setting specific rules would be helpful.

Psyren
2013-09-21, 05:27 PM

No more than any other class really, especially since its P6.

Toy Killer
2013-09-21, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm basically rebooting 13 Dusks in a competitive format. Inspired by Project Slaughterhouse, 5 groups of 5 PCs will be set loose to try to stop the plane from descending into hell.

If you are a summoner of any flavor, things will be tricky. A steadily increasing spellcraft check will be necessary to get through the blockade of Positive energy if you are summoning good or neutral creatures. If you're summoning evil things, well, first, good luck convincing the party you have their best intents in mind. and secondly, as time progresses, a diplomacy check will be necessary, including an offer of some kind to keep them on your side. which may also bleed into time with the combat.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-21, 11:01 PM
Well, I'm basically rebooting 13 Dusks in a competitive format. Inspired by Project Slaughterhouse, 5 groups of 5 PCs will be set loose to try to stop the plane from descending into hell.

If you are a summoner of any flavor, things will be tricky. A steadily increasing spellcraft check will be necessary to get through the blockade of Positive energy if you are summoning good or neutral creatures. If you're summoning evil things, well, first, good luck convincing the party you have their best intents in mind. and secondly, as time progresses, a diplomacy check will be necessary, including an offer of some kind to keep them on your side. which may also bleed into time with the combat.

Ah so it becomes more difficult to summon non-evil creatures as time progresses and the same decent into hell removes the magic from summon monster that absolutely binds the creature to the summoners will.

Probably best not to allow summoners simply because those restrictions make the class impossible to play. Though if the spellcraft check isn't high enough then its may be a trivial obstacle

Bhaakon
2013-09-21, 11:34 PM
Since summons are an issue, maybe a packlord druid? They're generally not a great choice, because there's no way to make up for the nerfed AC at higher levels, but it's easy to do in E6.

A level 6 pack lord can take boon companion 3 times to get 3 full-strength animal companions (or 6 times to get 6 level-5 ACs).

Toy Killer
2013-09-22, 12:19 AM
When taking this idea seriously, I was trying to find some way I could have this regulated and fair among D&D players so no one team had a huge pressed advantage over the others through optimization. I know their will be a power divergence regardless, but I was hoping to cover some bases so that Melee builds weren't automatically disregarded in favor of spell casters.

The time crunch is important. it will be hard to get a full nights rest and after 13 dusks, the transformation is complete and Medicent is officially a realm of Hell.

I'm going to help mitigate the 'all or nothing' aspect of 8 hours of rest requirement; I will let the players, at the 24 hour mark, roll concentration checks to recover their spell slots. Seeing as how the plane is drifting from the heavens, this will steadily increase the DC for the spell slots of 'Good touch' clerics. I may extend it to druids, but right now, Protection from evil is a bit overwhelmingly important (And druids don't have access to that spell right? I'll double check tomorrow).

I don't intend to have the players up to their knees in combat, especially the first few days. I want the few combats to be important. I will be tediously tracking HP, with the rule variant that makes healing spells turn Lethal damage into Non-lethal damage instead. Heal checks can be used to double the natural healing rate. I may have a critical damage deck for more flavorful kinds of wounds the players take, but I haven't finalized the idea yet. (It seems to tip things back to making casters much more viable)

I do want to present the world in an age where adventures have ruined the economies of the plane and have largely been put out of a job, and this is their resurgence back out of retirement (Think Dark Knight Returns, the graphic novel).

So, low supplies to begin with, random loot in scavenging and a reactive environment that will effect what the players experience. Taking out the Devil lord Magnys will allow Aesthline to focus her efforts on seigeing the sacred city of Coventry, for example.

And finally, Popcorn initiative, 3D6 instead of D20, and Druids will have to be aligned with one of four 'sects' of druidism, reflecting their alignment and what their information on the planar knowledge will have. The house rules will help shake the standard format of optimization while making teamwork more critical. Further, with a party leader being designated, the players will refer to him for basic build questions, allowing me to have some semblance of free time to prep the encounters.

I think that's all I can divulge as of right now. Can I see example builds of what you would bring? Assuming the above rules were abided by? So I can prep appropriate encounters and challenges?

EDIT: Clarity

Eldonauran
2013-09-26, 06:55 PM
and Druids will have to be aligned with one of four 'sects' of druidism, reflecting their alignment ...

Shouldn't that be five? NG, LN, N, CN, NE

... Can I see example builds of what you would bring? Assuming the above rules were abided by? So I can prep appropriate encounters and challenges?

Took me a while, but take a look see: I'll post a complete stat block later tonight for a level 6 character

The Goal:
-A pack of panthers, focused on pack hunting and tripping.
The Means:
-Boon Companion to reach effective druid level 6 with all panthers (no mechanical value to go to EDL 7)
-Teamwork feats to make them effective
--Precise strike: +1d6 precision damage when flanking with ally sharing this feat
--Tandem Trip: Reroll trip manuever and take highest result, when attemping to trip creature an ally is threatening.
-Eye for Talent
--Selectively boost Int so that panthers can pick teamwork feats
--Only boost non-int stat when the panther would start play at EDL 4, so that INT is 3 already from ability score increase.
-Equipment: Not shown, except armor
--Leather Armor all around, no check penalty
--Significant portion of wealth per level spent on AC items for panthers
---Dex boosting items to keep Dex near 22 (+6 modifier)
---Many rings of protection +1 and amulets of natural armor +1 will be handed out

*Disclaimer: Crossblooded and Tattooed Sorcerer are in no way essential to the build. Neither is Words of Power. Should there be any issues with approval, you can instead just take Wildblooded and focus on utility spells as a sorcerer. After 1st level, it really won't matter.

Level 1: (He has an Animal Companion and a Familiar!?)
Human
Sorcerer
Wildblooded Sylvan
Crossblooded Draconic (choose electricity) or Orc
Tattooed Sorcerer
Trait: Magical Knack (Sorcerer)
Trait: Carefully Hidden (+1 will save, +2 vs divination spells)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +1, Knowledge (Nature) +1, Spellcraft +1, Use Magic Device +1
Bonus Feat: Eye for Talent (+2 to animal companion stat of choice)
Feat: Huntmaster (small cats) +1 to Effective Druid Level (EDL)
Spellcastering (Sorcerer): Words of Power
Favored Class: Druid
HP: 7 (d6 +1 Con)

Class Abilities:
Animal Companions (EDL -3, Minimum 1. +1 Huntsmaster)
-Small Cat [Panther] (+2 Int)
Tattoo Familiar (Hedgehog, +2 will save) [Offsets Crossblooded penalty]
Spell Tattoo: Evocation (+1 caster level for evocation spells)

Assuming 15 25 point buy
Stats: Str 12, Dex: 16, Con: 12, Int: 12, Wis: 16, Cha: 13

Spells Known: Words of Power
Target Words: All known
Meta-Words: Boost
Cantrips: Flame Jet (Fire), Dechiper (Language), Lift (Gravity)
1st Level: Shock Arc (Electiricity) [x4 per day, Base 3 + 1 Cha score] 2d4+2 damage

Panther [1]: [EDL 2: Sorcerer 1-3 = Min 1, +1 Huntmaster]
Hit Points: 16 (3d8, 13 + 3 Con)
Eye for Talent: +2 Int
Ability Scores Str 12, Dex 21, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 6;
Size Small; Speed 50 ft.;
AC: 19 (10, +2 armor, +5 Dex, +1 natural armor, +1 Size)
Attack: bite + (1d4 plus trip), 2 claws (1d2);
Special Qualities low-light vision, scent, link, share spells
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Precise Strike
Equipment: Leather Armor

Level 2: (What do you mean he's got another animal companion!?)
Disclaimer: Class levels that grant animal companions (thus an effective druid level), unless specifically stating otherwise, stack when determining the power of the single animal companion. Pack Lord allows for multiple animal companions.

Sorcerer 1 / Druid 1 [Pack Lord]

Class Abilities:
-Nature bond
-Nature sense
-Orisons
-Wild empathy

No new feats
Favored class Bonus, +1 HP
Skills: Bluff +1, Perception +2, Survival +1, Handle Animal +1, Use Magic Device +1
HP: 1d8+9 (6 +2 Con, +1 Favored Class)

Spells:
Cantrips: Create Water, Detect Magic and Stabilize [3 per day]
1st level: Faerie Fire x1 (Or Bristle x1), Cure Light Wounds x1 [2 per day, Base 1 + 1 Wis Score)

We'll have two Companions, both small cats:

Panther [2]: [EDL 2, Druid 1, +1 Huntmaster]

Level 3: (And now a third!? And its twice as strong as the other two!?)
Sorcerer 1 / Druid 2

Class Ability:
-Woodland Stride

Favored Class Bonus: +1 HP
Skills: Handle Animal +2, Perception +1, Spellcraft +2, Use Magic Device +1
Feat: Boon Companion: Panther [3]
HP: 2d8+11 (6 +3 Con, +2 Favored Class)

Spells:
Cantrips: Create Water, Detect Magic, Mending and Stabilize [4 per day]
1st level: Faerie Fire x1, Bristle x1, Cure Light Wounds x1 [3 per day, Base 2 + 1 Wis Score]

AC: 19 (10, +2 armor, +6 Dex, +1 natural armor, +1 Dodge, +1 Size)

Panther [3]: [EDL 4, Druid 1 +2 (max 4, cap at character level, 3), +1 Huntmaster]
Hit Points: 26 (4d8, 18 + 8 Con)
Eye for Talent: +2 Dex (Ability Score Increase +1 Int)
Ability Scores Str 17, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6;
Size Medium; Speed 50 ft.;
AC: 21 (10, +2 armor, +6 Dex, +3 natural armor)
Attack: bite + (1d6 plus trip), 2 claws (1d3);
Special Qualities low-light vision, scent, link, share spells, Sprint, Evasion

Level 4: (How many Panthers are you using!?)
Sorcerer 1 / Druid 3
Ability Score Increase: +1 Str (Why not, carry capacity ftw)

Class Abilities:
-Trackless Step

Favored Class Bonus: +1 Skill
Skills: Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (Arcana) +1, Knowledge (Nature) +1, Perception +1, Spellcraft +1, Survival +1, Use Magic Device +1
Feat: None
HP: 3d8+12 (6 +4 Con, +2 Favored Class)

Spells:
1st level: Faerie Fire x1, Bristle x1, Cure Light Wounds x1 [3 per day, Base 2 + 1 Wis Score]
2nd Level: Lockjaw x1, Flaming Sphere x1 [2 per day, Base 1 + 1 Wis Score]

Eye for Talent: +2 Dex

Panther [3]: [EDL 5, Druid 1 +3 (max 4, cap at character level, 4), +1 Huntmaster]
Hit Points: 32 (5d8, 22 + 10 Con)
Eye for Talent: +2 Dex (Ability Score Increase +1 Int)
Ability Scores Str 17, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6;
AC: 21 (10, +2 armor, +6 Dex, +3 natural armor)
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Tandem Trip, Precise Strike

Panther [4]: [EDL 2, Druid 1, +1 Huntmaster]
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Tandem Trip

Level 5: (WTF, man!? WTF!? Five panthers and you can turn into a panther!?)
Sorcerer 1 / Druid 4
Favored Class Bonus +1 skill
Skills: Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (Arcana) +1, Knowledge (Nature) +1, Perception +1, Spellcraft +1, Survival +1, Use Magic Device +1
Feat: Boon Companion: Panther [4]
HP: 4d8+ (6 + 5 Con, +2 Favored Class Bonus

Class Abilities:
-Resist Nature's Lure
-Wild Shape 1/day

Spells:
1st level: Produce Flame x1, Faerie Fire x1, Bristle x1, Cure Light Wounds x1 [4 per day, Base 3 + 1 Wis Score]
2nd Level: Lockjaw x1, Flaming Sphere x1, Aspect of the Bear x1 [3 per day, Base 2 + 1 Wis Score]

Panther [3]: [EDL 6, Druid 1 +4 (max 4, cap at character level, 5), +1 Huntmaster]
Hit Points: 39 (6d8, 27 + 12 Con)
Eye for Talent: +2 Dex (+1 Int Ability Score Increase)
Ability Scores Str 18, Dex 23, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6;
AC: 23 (10, +2 armor, +6 Dex, +5 natural armor)

Panther [4]: [EDL 6, Druid 1 +4 (max 4, cap at character level, 5), +1 Huntmaster]

Panther [5]: [EDL 2, Druid 1, +1 Huntmaster]

Level 6: (Yeah, figures. Another panther...)
Sorcerer 1 / Druid 5
Feats: None
Favored Class Bonus: +1 skill
HP: 5d8+14 (6 +6 con, +2 Favored Class)

Spells:
1st level: Produce Flame x1, Faerie Fire x1, Bristle x1, Cure Light Wounds x1 [4 per day, Base 3 + 1 Wis Score]
2nd Level: Lockjaw x1, Flaming Sphere x1, Aspect of the Bear x1 [3 per day, Base 2 + 1 Wis Score]
3rd Level: Call Lightning x2 [2 per day, Base 1 + 1 Wis Score]

Panther [3]: [EDL 6, Druid 1 +4 (max 4, cap at character level, 5), +1 Huntmaster]

Panther [4]: [EDL 6, Druid 1 +4 (max 4, cap at character level, 5), +1 Huntmaster]

Panther [5]: [EDL 2, Druid 1, +1 Huntmaster]

Panther [6]: [EDL 2, Druid 1, +1 Huntmaster]

Next Four Feats: Boon Companion to fill in the ranks and make the panthers all EDL 6. Tandem Trip and Precise strike all around.

Toy Killer
2013-09-26, 11:05 PM
Perhaps I should mention that they will all be starting at level 6...

Each night they survive will warrant them a bonus feat.

Toy Killer
2013-09-26, 11:12 PM
Shouldn't that be five? NG, LN, N, CN,NE?

Oh, no... the four sects are just usually those alignments. There may be LN druids in the sect of the wolf, for example, but most are NE. The true Neutral will be dispersed through the four alignments.

But the build looks great. My local meta seems to have a grudge against optimizers, which means making something challenging for an optimizer should allow an ample amount of opportunity 'Horrifically outer-worldly', run-not-fight, encounters available.

Thank you much! Man... 6 panthers?... That's a lot of kitties...

Eldonauran
2013-09-27, 12:51 AM
As promised, complete stat boxes for the character + companions!

Next four feats will be Boon Companion for the rest of the group. Then Natural Spell? Maybe Improved Caster Level (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/kobold-press/general-feats---3rd-party---kobold-press/improved-caster-level) to even out damage on sorcerer spells.

Wealth per Level for a 6th level character is 16,000gp, I believe. We start with half of that, so 8,000gp. Leaf armor for 4 panthers is a total of 4,000gp. The Darkleaf Cloth Hide Armor is roughly 1,350gp, or 2,7000gp for the two panthers with it. That leaves the Masterwork Lamellar (horn) armor and Darkwood Heavy wooden shield to eat up the rest of the 1,300gp left over for the character. Armor for the Pack Lord is not necessary, as it interfers with sorcerer spells (barring the metaword to still spells).

Pack Lord
Male Human Druid 5 (Pack Lord)/Sorcerer (Crossblooded, Tattooed Sorcerer, Wildblooded, Wordcaster) 1
N Medium Humanoid (human, orc)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +14
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 20, touch 13, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 shield, +3 Dex)
hp 37 (5d8+1d6+8)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +8; +2 trait bonus vs. divinaton effects, +4 vs. spell-like and supernatural abilities of Fey and against effects that target plants
Weakness light sensitivity
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft.
Melee Heavy Shield Bash +0 (1d4+1/x2)
Spell-Like Abilities
3/day—dancing lights
Sorcerer (Crossblooded, Tattooed Sorcerer, Wildblooded, Wordcaster) Spells Known (CL 3):
1 (4/day) Shock Arc (DC 13)
0 (at will) Boost, Decipher, Flame Jet (DC 12), Lift
Druid Spells Prepared (CL 5):
3 (2/day) Call Lightning (x2) (DC 16)
2 (3/day) Flaming Sphere (DC 15), Aspect of the Bear, Lockjaw (DC 15)
1 (4/day) Produce Flame, Faerie Fire, Cure Light Wounds, Bristle (DC 14)
0 (at will) Stabilize, Detect Magic, Mending, Create Water
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 17
Feats Boon Companion (Animal Companion), Boon Companion (Animal Companion), Huntmaster (Small Cats), Varisian Tattoo (Evocation)
Traits Carefully Hidden, Magical Knack (Sorcerer)
Skills Acrobatics +0 (-4 jump), Bluff +6, Climb -2, Escape Artist +0, Fly +0, Handle Animal +11 (+13 with selected animal type), Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (nature) +9 (+11 with selected animal type), Perception +14, Ride +0, Sense Motive +7, Spellcraft +10, Stealth +0, Survival +14, Swim -2, Use Magic Device +11; Racial Modifiers +2 Sense Motive
Languages Common, Druidic, Sylvan
SQ +2 bonus on will saves, bloodline tattoos, empathic link with familiar, familiar tattoo, improved empathic link, mutated bloodlines (orc, sylvan), pack bond, resist nature's lure, share spells with familiar, sorcerer meta word limit (3/day), spontaneous casting, trackless step, wild empathy, wild shape (1/day), wild shape (animal), woodland stride
Other Gear Masterwork Lamellar (horn) armor, Darkwood Heavy wooden shield.
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
+2 bonus on Will saves You gain the Alertness feat while your familiar is within arm's reach.
Bloodline Tattoos (Ex) Bloodline spells are cast at +1 caster level.
Boon Companion (Animal Companion) +4 levels to calc familiar/animal comp abilities (max of your HD).
Boon Companion (Animal Companion) +4 levels to calc familiar/animal comp abilities (max of your HD).
Carefully Hidden You gain a +1 trait bonus to Will saves and a +2 trait bonus to saving throws versus divination effects.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Empathic Link with Familiar (Su) You have an empathic link with your Arcane Familiar.
Familiar Tattoo (Su) A tattooed sorcerer gains a familiar as an arcane bond, as a wizard equal to her sorcerer level. Her sorcerer levels stack with any wizard or witch levels she possesses when determining the powers of her familiar—this ability does not allow her to ha
Huntmaster (Small Cats) +2 bonus to Handle Animal/Knowledge Nature with selected animal type.
Improved Empathic Link (Su) Swift, shift perception to one animal companion within 1 mile.
Light Sensitivity (Ex) Dazzled as long as they remain in bright light.
Magical Knack (Sorcerer) +2 CL for a specific class, to a max of your HD.
Orc Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you cast a spell that deals damage, that spell deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.
Pack Bond (Ex) Can have multiple animal companions, dividing druid level bonuses among them.
Resist Nature's Lure (Ex) +4 save vs. effects from Fey and effects using plants.
Share Spells with Familiar Can cast spells with a target of "You" on the familiar with a range of touch.
Sorcerer Meta Word Limit (3/day) A wordcaster can only use meta words a number of times a day equal to half his caster level in his wordcasting class (minimum 1).
Spontaneous Casting The Druid can convert stored spells into Summon Nature's Ally spells.
Sylvan Your magic shows a kinship to that of the beast-talkers and shapechanger fey.
Trackless Step (Ex) You do not leave a trail as you move through natural surroundings.
Varisian Tattoo (Evocation) Spells from chosen school gain +1 caster level.
Wild Empathy +7 (Ex) Improve the attitude of an animal, as if using Diplomacy.
Wild Shape (1/day) (Su) Shapeshift into a different creature one or more times per day.
Wild Shape (Beast Shape I: Small - Medium animal) You may use your Wild Shape ability to become an animal.
Woodland Stride (Ex) Move through undergrowth at normal speed.

--------------------

Hedgehog
Hedgehog
N Diminutive Magical Beast ((animal))
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +10
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 17, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +4 size, +1 natural)
hp 18 (1d8-2)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +7
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft.
Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 1, Dex 16, Con 6, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 7
Base Atk +3; CMB +2; CMD 7 (11 vs. Trip)
Feats Athletic
Skills Acrobatics +3 (-1 jump), Bluff -1, Climb +5, Fly +9, Handle Animal +4, Perception +10, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +19, Survival +7, Swim +5, Use Magic Device +4
Languages
SQ improved evasion, spiny defense
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Improved Evasion (Ex) No damage on successful reflex save; half on failed save.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Spiny Defense As a move action, a hedgehog can roll itself up into a spiny ball. While rolled up, it gains a +1 enhancement bonus to its existing natural armor, and any creature attempting to grapple the hedgehog takes 1d3 damage on making a grapple check. While r

--------------------

Panther 1
Male Leopard
N Small Animal
Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 22, touch 16, flat-footed 17 (+3 armor, +5 Dex, +1 size, +3 natural)
hp 16 (+3)
Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +2
Defensive Abilities evasion
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Melee Bite (Leopard) +9 (1d4+1/x2) and
Claw x2 (Leopard) +9 x2 (1d2+1/x2)
Special Attacks trip
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 13, Dex 22, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +2; CMB +2; CMD 17 (21 vs. Trip)
Feats Precise Strike, Weapon Finesse
Tricks Attack [Trick], Attack Any Target [Trick], Defend [Trick], Down [Trick], Guard [Trick], Heel [Trick], Track [Trick]
Skills Acrobatics +10 (+18 jump), Fly +8, Perception +5, Stealth +14 (+18 in Undergrowth)
Languages
SQ +4 stealth in undergrowth, attack any target [trick], defend [trick], down [trick], guard [trick], heel [trick], track [trick]
Other Gear: Leaf armor
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
+4 Stealth in Undergrowth (Ex) You gain a bonus to Stealth Checks under the listed conditions.
Attack Any Target [Trick] The animal will attack any creature on command.
Defend [Trick] The animal will defend you.
Down [Trick] The animal will break off combat on command.
Evasion (Ex) No damage on successful reflex save.
Guard [Trick] The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
Heel [Trick] The animal will follow you.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Precise Strike +1d6 precision damage for melee attacks if you and an ally with this feat flank the same target.
Scent (Ex) Detect opponents within 15+ feet by sense of smell.
Track [Trick] The animal will track a scent.
Trip (Ex) You can make a trip attempt on a successful attack.

--------------------

Panther 2
Female Leopard
N Small Animal
Init +5; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 20, touch 16, flat-footed 15 (+3 armor, +5 Dex, +1 size, +1 natural)
hp 16 (+3)
Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +2
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Melee Bite (Leopard) +8 (1d4+1/x2) and
Claw x2 (Leopard) +8 x2 (1d2+1/x2)
Special Attacks trip
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 21, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 6
Tricks Attack [Trick], Attack [Trick], Attack Any Target [Trick], Defend [Trick], Down [Trick], Down [Trick], Fighting [Trick], Flank [Trick], Guard [Trick], Stay [Trick]
Skills Acrobatics +9 (+17 jump), Fly +7, Perception +5, Stealth +13 (+17 in Undergrowth)
Languages
SQ +4 stealth in undergrowth, attack any target [trick], defend [trick], down [trick], fighting [trick], flank [trick], guard [trick]
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
+4 Stealth in Undergrowth (Ex) You gain a bonus to Stealth Checks under the listed conditions.
Fighting [Trick] The animal has been trained to fight.
Flank [Trick] Attempts to attack and flank indicated enemy.
Guard [Trick] The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
Precise Strike +1d6 precision damage for melee attacks if you and an ally with this feat flank the same target.

--------------------

Panther 3
Male Leopard
N Medium Animal
Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +6
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 25, touch 16, flat-footed 19 (+4 armor, +6 Dex, +5 natural)
hp 39 (+12)
Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +3 (+4 morale bonus vs. Enchantment spells and effects)
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 35 ft., sprint (1/hour)
Melee Bite (Leopard) +10 (1d6+4/x2) and
Claw x2 (Leopard) +10 x2 (1d3+4/x2)
Special Attacks trip
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 18, Dex 23, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +8; CMD 24 (28 vs. Trip)
Feats Precise Strike, Tandem Trip, Weapon Finesse
Tricks Attack [Trick], Attack [Trick], Attack Any Target [Trick], Come [Trick], Defend [Trick], Down [Trick], Fighting [Trick], Flank [Trick], Heel [Trick], Sneak [Trick], Stay [Trick]
Skills Acrobatics +10, Climb +8, Perception +6, Stealth +10 (+14 in Undergrowth), Swim +8
Languages
SQ +4 stealth in undergrowth, attack any target [trick], come [trick], defend [trick], devotion +4, fighting [trick], flank [trick], heel [trick], sneak [trick]
Other Gear: Darkleaf Cloth Hide armor
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Come [Trick] The animal will come to you on command.
Devotion +4 (Ex) +4 Morale bonus on Will Saves vs. Enchantments.
Sneak [Trick] Creature stays hidden.
Sprint (1/hour) (Ex) Can move ten times normal speed (500 feet) when you make a charge.
Tandem Trip When you make a trip against an opponent threatened by any ally, roll twice and take the higher result

--------------------

Panther 4
Female Leopard
N Medium Animal
Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +6
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 25, touch 16, flat-footed 19 (+4 armor, +6 Dex, +5 natural)
hp 39 (+12)
Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +3 (+4 morale bonus vs. Enchantment spells and effects)
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 35 ft., sprint (1/hour)
Melee Bite (Leopard) +10 (1d6+4/x2) and
Claw x2 (Leopard) +10 x2 (1d3+4/x2)
Special Attacks trip
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 18, Dex 23, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +8; CMD 24 (28 vs. Trip)
Feats Precise Strike, Tandem Trip, Weapon Finesse
Tricks Attack [Trick], Attack [Trick], Attack Any Target [Trick], Come [Trick], Defend [Trick], Down [Trick], Fighting [Trick], Flank [Trick], Heel [Trick], Sneak [Trick], Stay [Trick]
Skills Acrobatics +10, Climb +8, Perception +6, Stealth +10 (+14 in Undergrowth), Swim +8
Languages
SQ +4 stealth in undergrowth, attack any target [trick], come [trick], defend [trick], devotion +4, fighting [trick], flank [trick], heel [trick], sneak [trick]
Other Gear: Darkleaf Cloth Hide armor
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Come [Trick] The animal will come to you on command.
Devotion +4 (Ex) +4 Morale bonus on Will Saves vs. Enchantments.
Sneak [Trick] Creature stays hidden.
Sprint (1/hour) (Ex) Can move ten times normal speed (500 feet) when you make a charge.
Tandem Trip When you make a trip against an opponent threatened by any ally, roll twice and take the higher result

--------------------

Panther 5
Male Leopard
N Small Animal
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
hp 16 (+3)
Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +2
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Special Attacks trip
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Tricks Attack [Trick], Attack [Trick], Attack Any Target [Trick], Defend [Trick], Down [Trick], Fighting [Trick], Heel [Trick], Stay [Trick], Track [Trick]
Skills Acrobatics +9 (+17 jump), Fly +7, Perception +5, Stealth +13 (+17 in Undergrowth)
Languages
SQ +4 stealth in undergrowth, attack any target [trick], defend [trick], fighting [trick], heel [trick], track [trick]
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Track [Trick] The animal will track a scent.

--------------------

Panther 6
Female Leopard
N Small Animal
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
hp 16 (+3)
Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +2
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 50 ft.
Special Attacks trip
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Tricks Attack [Trick], Attack [Trick], Attack Any Target [Trick], Defend [Trick], Down [Trick], Fighting [Trick], Flank [Trick], Heel [Trick], Stay [Trick]
Languages
SQ +4 stealth in undergrowth, attack any target [trick], defend [trick], fighting [trick], flank [trick], heel [trick]
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------

grarrrg
2013-09-27, 01:27 PM
Yeah...Boon Companion doesn't really work that way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16019971).

If the DM is OK with the shenanigans, then fine, go nuts.

Eldonauran
2013-09-27, 03:29 PM
Yeah...Boon Companion doesn't really work that way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16019971).

If the DM is OK with the shenanigans, then fine, go nuts.

I disagree and do not think that link is sufficient to prove any point. An actual ruling from paizo might be a different story. The fact that the feat can be taken several times (one for each animal companion/familiar you have) is a serious indication that it doesn't work the way you believe. The key how the feat uses effective druid level and character level.

Boon companion doesn't care what your effective druid level is. The only thing it is taking into consideration is the effective druid level of the animal companion. If the effective druid level used to determine the abilities of that animal companion is less that your character level, you get to add +4 (up to your maximum HD). See below in spoiler for a clarification.

The 'intent' of the feat is fuzzy, at best. In normal play (not E6), no one would take three or more companions since they would not be able to keep the animal companions relevant, even with that feat. The feat, because of this, has a built in 'cheese-limiter' and only in a few circumstances (like E6), does it become highly abusable.

The abilities of your animal companion or familiar are calculated as though your class were 4 levels higher, to a maximum effective druid level equal to your character level. If you have more than one animal companion or familiar, choose one to receive this benefit. If you lose or dismiss an animal companion or familiar that has received this benefit, you may apply this feat to the replacement creature.

Special: You may select this feat more than once. The effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different animal companion or familiar.

You can go at this two different ways:
1) Your effective druid level is 4 higher when determining your animal companion's abilities. This is the default assumption, if you have one animal companion.
2) If you have two companions, or more, (as described later, and under special), you pick one companion and their abilities are treated as if you were 4 levels higher, up to a max of your character level.

The difference between pack lord and a non-pack lord druid is that the effective druid level is split between the companions. Since the effective drud level is always going to be less than the druid's actual level (which is what the feat lists as the maximum), Boon Companion functions perfectly fine. Once you have split your effective druid level, its your character level that determines the maximum 'effective druid level' that determines your animal companions abilities.

Example: Pack Lord Druid 3: You have given two levels to one companion and one to another. Your effective druid level for companion A is 2 and companion B is 1. You take Boon Companion, choosing Companion B.

Is the effective druid level for Companion B less than your character level? Yes, it is 1.
You treat your effective druid level as 4 higher when determining the companions abilities, capped at your character level.

grarrrg
2013-09-27, 06:03 PM
I'm aware of the argument in favor of it working.
I pointed out that I'm aware that it's wording leaves wiggle room.
Pack Lords wording is also fairly shaky in this regard.

But the intent of the feat is pretty clear. Your Effective level tops out at character level, a level 6 Druid can only ever have 6 Effective level.

Again, if the DM is OK with the shenanigans, then fine, go nuts.

Eldonauran
2013-09-27, 06:37 PM
I'm aware of the argument in favor of it working.
I pointed out that I'm aware that it's wording leaves wiggle room.
Pack Lords wording is also fairly shaky in this regard.
Maybe I am missing something or not understanding your argument. What is shaky about the feat or the Pack Lord archetype? Can you be specific? I really want to see your side of the argument because I just don't see how someone can come to that conclusion.

But the intent of the feat is pretty clear. Your Effective level tops out at character level, a level 6 Druid can only ever have 6 Effective level.
Unless you have spoken/discussed the issue with the creator of the feat or seen an errata or FAQ that addresses this that I haven't, calling out the intent of the feat requires substancial reasoning.

The druid class is designed to have one animal companion. That companion is limited in power by the druid level. If you multiclass, take Boon Companion and your animal companion doesn't lose power. This is a normal situation.

Pack Lord takes normal and dashes it against the rocks. You effectively get a pool of druid levels that you can assign. At no time, can you assign more druid levels than you posses. Boon Companion grants phantom druid levels to make your companions stronger, one time only, and your new cap is your character level, for each companion.

I feel my reasoning is sound. If you can see a hole in it, please point it out.

Again, if the DM is OK with the shenanigans, then fine, go nuts.
To each his own, I suppose.

EDIT: I poured over the game mechanics for animal companions just to make sure I wasn't giving false information and I discovered something. I found no entry, anywhere, that prohibits an animal companion's abilities from exceeding the druid's character level. A 6th level druid CAN have an animal companion with effective druid level 7 IF he has something that allows it, like Huntmaster (which gives a +1 with no cap on level). A Pack Lord can't give out more effective druid levels than levels she possesses (Naturally) though using another ability, feat, or what-have-you to increase the effective druid level does not conflict with current rules.

grarrrg
2013-09-27, 07:03 PM
Pack Lord lets you divide your Effective Druid level between multiple Companions.
Boon Companion gives you (up to) 4 more Effective levels towards Companion, capped at your character level.

A 6th level Druid has an Effective Druid level of 6.
A 6th level Pack Lord has an Effective Druid level of 6.
A 6th level Pack Lord with Boon Companion has an Effective Druid level of 6.

The intent of the feat is to play "catch up" for multi-class characters (or single class Rangers).
The intent is not "loophole abuse due to poor wording".

Bhaakon
2013-09-27, 07:22 PM
The intent of the feat is to play "catch up" for multi-class characters (or single class Rangers).

Clearly, you are correct as far as RAI.

However.

When someone titles their thread "Worst you can do in E6," the implication is that loophole abuse is on the table.

Eldonauran
2013-09-27, 07:33 PM
Pack Lord lets you divide your Effective Druid level between multiple Companions.
Correct. More specifically, it allows you (upon level up) to allocate your new effective druid level to an existing, or a new, companion. You can not 'reallocate' the effective druid levels without losing the companion (releasing or upon its death). Point: You can't swap levels, they are locked in upon level up.

Boon Companion gives you (up to) 4 more Effective levels towards Companion, capped at your character level.
Partially correct. Correctly worded, it would read as follows "When determining your animal companions abilities based on effective druid level, treat your effect druid level as 4 higher, to a maximum effective druid level equal to your character level". This is highly important and pivotal to how the feat interacts with Pack Lord. The effective druid level of one companion has no relation to the effect druid level of the other companion, except when determing how many effective druid levels the druid has allocated.

See my spoiler below for a breakdown on how this plays out.

1) Pack Lord (level 3) decides to assign one effective druid level to companion B, instead of assigning it to companion A.
2) Pack Lord chooses feat for 3rd level: Boon Companion, choosing companion B.
3) Boon Companion: What is the effective druid level that is determining the abilities of companion B? The answer is 1
4) Boon Companion: Increase that effective druid level by 4. Is it higher than the character's current level? Yes. Reduce until equal to 3 (current character level).
5) What is the characters effective druid level? Three. Two are being use to determine Companion A's abilities. One is used for Companion B.
6) What are the abilities for Companion A? See chart, effective druid level 2
7) What are the abilities for Companion B? See chart, effective druid level 1 (+2 from boon companion)
8) Did the druid allocate more than three effective druid levels? No

A 6th level Druid has an Effective Druid level of 6.
Correct.

A 6th level Pack Lord has an Effective Druid level of 6.
Correct

A 6th level Pack Lord with Boon Companion has an Effective Druid level of 6.
Correct, in the most specific way possible. See my spoiler above. To be short, a level 6 Pack Lord has only 6 effective druid levels to allocate but that doesn't stop other sources from increasing those effective levels.

I can definitly agree that is one use of the feat. The allowance for multiple companions speaks to the 'intent' that the feat has other uses.

I found no 'poor wording' in the feat, nor the description of the Pack Lord archetype. Pack Lord is a unique archetype that allows for some interesting changes to gameplay when combined with Boon Companion and Huntmaster.

rockdeworld
2013-09-27, 08:44 PM
I haven't played PF enough to really get into the CO, but here's some things I came up with:

The Thief
Tiefling Rogue 6
Str 10/Dex 20/Con 14/Int 9/Wis 10/Cha 10
Level bonus to Int (10)

Traits: Child of the Streets, Dangerously Curious

1 Skill Focus: Sleight of Hand (bonus)
2 Finesse Rogue
3 Improved Sleight of Hand
4 Combat Trick: Combat Reflexes
5 Skill Focus: UMD
6 open

Sleight of Hand: 6 (ranks) + 3 (class skill) + 5 (dex) + 3 (Skill Focus) + 1 (Child of the Streets) + 2 (masterwork tool) = +20

UMD: 6 (ranks) + 3 (class skill) + 3 (Skill Focus) + 1 (Dangerously Curious) = +13

Tricks: If the enemy is medium or smaller wielding a 1-handed weapon (or 2H if they're small) he auto-succeeds his attempt to steal it with Sleight of Hand as a move action. That includes spell component pouches and familiars. Approach under Darkness and steal whatever. If the opponent pulls out another weapon, steal that and sneak attack. Repeat as needed.

Weak against:
-2-handed enemies and those who only use natural weapons, but can negate that with scrolls/a wand of Grease
-creatures with natural darkvision, but can negate that with scrolls of Greater Invisibility

The Tripper:
whatever race and spellcasting class that grants a bonus feat

Traits: Magical Lineage (Magic Missile)

1 Toppling Spell
3 Tenebrous Spell
5 Umbral Spell
Bonus Shadow Grasp

Toppling Tenebrous Umbral Shadow Grasp Magic Missile (2nd level spell): Take damage and make a Reflex save or fall prone, become entangled, and surrounded by darkness. If cast in dim lighting, you get 4 missiles.

Weak against:
-enemies with a good reflex save, negate that with Summon Monster III Dretch using Stinking Cloud.

grarrrg
2013-09-28, 12:13 AM
The allowance for multiple companions speaks to the 'intent' that the feat has other uses.

This is the only one I'm going to bother to reply to.

A: The feat is written for Companions and Familiars, so some of the 'confusing plurals' are a result of that.
B: The feat was written before Pack Lord was a thing.
C: You can still get multiple Animal Companions from different classes (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qqn).

Eldonauran
2013-09-28, 09:23 AM
This is the only one I'm going to bother to reply to.

A: The feat is written for Companions and Familiars, so some of the 'confusing plurals' are a result of that.
B: The feat was written before Pack Lord was a thing.
C: You can still get multiple Animal Companions from different classes (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qqn).

Then the argument boils down to 'you shouldn't be able to do it because the feat wasn't designed for it' rather then 'you cant do it because the mechanics don't support it.'

I am fine with that. Maybe the designer(s) of the two archetypes that allow for multiple animal companions in one class (Beast Master, Ranger, Advanced Players Guide. Pack Lord, Druid, Ultimate Magic) decided to build their archetype around Boon Companion. Maybe not.

Unless you can show the mechanics don't support my conclusion, I remain confident my interpretation is correct.

3WhiteFox3
2013-09-28, 09:42 AM
@ToyKiller - The way you have this setup, divine prepared casters will operate just fine despite not having time to rest. Divine casters gain spells at a specific, fixed time of day; everyday. Rest has nothing to do with it.

It still works for everyone else (even Oracles from what I can tell) though.

Sayt
2013-09-28, 09:49 AM
For what it's worth, Boon Companion was reprinted in Animal Archive (2013) (The Pack Lord was Ultimate magic(2011)), which Postdates the Pack Lord, and it specifically refers to the possession of multiple animal companions, and elevating individual companions towards the characters Effective Druid Level.

Furthermore, only the Pack Lord and Huntsmaster have multiple animal companions (to my knowledge. I don't think there's a ranger archetype for that?), and they both have EDL=HD, which leads one, well, me, to believe that it was reprinted with the intention of allowing Huntsmasters and Pack Lords to have useful Animal Companions.

Kaeso
2013-09-28, 09:51 AM
I'd say a wizard with >10 intelligence and metamagic feats would be the epitome of uselessness both in and out of E6 (and then there's the truenamer but that's a different can of beans).

3WhiteFox3
2013-09-28, 10:26 AM
I'd say a wizard with >10 intelligence and metamagic feats would be the epitome of uselessness both in and out of E6 (and then there's the truenamer but that's a different can of beans).

Fighter 6 with >10 Str, Dx and Con spending all his bonus feats on useless crap (Firebrand, Teamwork feats without a teammate to work off of them, etc...) is the worst. Wizards still get familiars, school abilities, can still use scrolls and wands.

grarrrg
2013-09-28, 11:24 AM
I suppose should actually submit something at some point, huh?

Tengu (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tengu) with the Claws alt-Race trait (naturally have a Bite attack).
1 level of White-Haired Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/white-haired-witch), for a Hair natural attack.
5 levels of Vivisectionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/vivisectionist) Alchemist, for 3d6 Sneak Attack, and a Mutagen, and a Tentacle (if you can get it approved to work as a 'normal' natural attack).

Heirloom Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/heirloom-weapon) Trait for Dwarven Boulder Helm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/helmet-dwarven-boulder)
Multiattack Feat.

You get 5 attacks on a Full Attack, 1 'headbutt' weapon, and 4 Naturals (+1 if Tentacle allowed). The naturals are all Secondary, but with only a -2 Penalty.
Combined with the Sneak Attack, that can be some impressive damage.
And don't forget the Mutagen!

For what it's worth, Boon Companion was reprinted in Animal Archive (2013) (The Pack Lord was Ultimate magic(2011))...
which leads one, well, me, to believe that it was reprinted with the intention of allowing Huntsmasters and Pack Lords to have useful Animal Companions.

You are also assuming that Paizo is competent when it comes to proof-reading things, and actually errataing/fixing them in the first place...

Pistolero Gunslinger
Sohei Monk
Synthesist Summoner
Synthesist Summoner (so bad it needs to be here twice)
Rage Prophet
Prone Shooter feat
Monkey Lunge feat
etc...

Eldonauran
2013-09-28, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth, Boon Companion was reprinted in Animal Archive (2013) (The Pack Lord was Ultimate magic(2011)), which Postdates the Pack Lord, and it specifically refers to the possession of multiple animal companions, and elevating individual companions towards the characters Effective Druid Level.
Good to know! Thank you.

Furthermore, only the Pack Lord and Huntsmaster have multiple animal companions (to my knowledge. I don't think there's a ranger archetype for that?), and they both have EDL=HD, which leads one, well, me, to believe that it was reprinted with the intention of allowing Huntsmasters and Pack Lords to have useful Animal Companions.

Beast Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/beastmaster), Ranger Archetype, Advanced Player's Guide (I believe this is what the Pack Lord was based off of).
Huntsmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/huntmaster), Cavalier Archetype, Not sure on source... Animal Archive (I don't have the book and refer to hyperlink)
Pack Lord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/pack-lord), Druid Archetype, Ultimate Magic

These are the three archetypes that I know of that can get multiple animal companions.

You are also assuming that Paizo is competent when it comes to proof-reading things, and actually errataing/fixing them in the first place...
Is it necessary to bash the game designers and/or proof readers?

grarrrg
2013-09-28, 02:27 PM
Is it necessary to bash the game designers and/or proof readers?

In certain cases, where there are glaring omissions/errors/etc...?
Yes.
For most part they do a good job, but there are some things you see and just wonder if ANYONE was paying attention at all.

And their policy of only issuing errata if they are reprinting a product is likewise annoying/stupid.

Expanding on some examples from earlier:
Monkey Lunge: 'Standard action to ignore the penalties for using Lunge, lasts until end of turn.' Lunge only works during your turn. Using your standard to increase your reach means you have no more actions to attack with.

Prone Shooter: 'Ignore the penalties for firing a ranged weapon (crossbow/firearm) while prone.' There ARE no penalties for firing a ranged weapon while prone.
*The feat has since received an FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9pyu) updating the text to something more useful.

Rage Prophet requires the Rage Power "Moment of Clarity". In the write-up it mentions "Moment of Clarity" twice, and "Clarity of Mind" twice. There is no "Clarity of Mind" anything. Rage Prophet is in the Adv. Player's guide, Moment of Clarity is in Core. So there's no real "changed the name halfway through printing" excuse.

Toy Killer
2013-09-28, 02:50 PM
I haven't played PF enough to really get into the CO, but here's some things I came up with:

The Thief
Tiefling Rogue 6
Str 10/Dex 20/Con 14/Int 9/Wis 10/Cha 10
Level bonus to Int (10)

Traits: Child of the Streets, Dangerously Curious

1 Skill Focus: Sleight of Hand (bonus)
2 Finesse Rogue
3 Improved Sleight of Hand
4 Combat Trick: Combat Reflexes
5 Skill Focus: UMD
6 open

Sleight of Hand: 6 (ranks) + 3 (class skill) + 5 (dex) + 3 (Skill Focus) + 1 (Child of the Streets) + 2 (masterwork tool) = +20

UMD: 6 (ranks) + 3 (class skill) + 3 (Skill Focus) + 1 (Dangerously Curious) = +13

Tricks: If the enemy is medium or smaller wielding a 1-handed weapon (or 2H if they're small) he auto-succeeds his attempt to steal it with Sleight of Hand as a move action. That includes spell component pouches and familiars. Approach under Darkness and steal whatever. If the opponent pulls out another weapon, steal that and sneak attack. Repeat as needed.

Weak against:
-2-handed enemies and those who only use natural weapons, but can negate that with scrolls/a wand of Grease
-creatures with natural darkvision, but can negate that with scrolls of Greater Invisibility

The Tripper:
whatever race and spellcasting class that grants a bonus feat

Traits: Magical Lineage (Magic Missile)

1 Toppling Spell
3 Tenebrous Spell
5 Umbral Spell
Bonus Shadow Grasp

Toppling Tenebrous Umbral Shadow Grasp Magic Missile (2nd level spell): Take damage and make a Reflex save or fall prone, become entangled, and surrounded by darkness. If cast in dim lighting, you get 4 missiles.

Weak against:
-enemies with a good reflex save, negate that with Summon Monster III Dretch using Stinking Cloud.

Well, Keep in mind, that summoning is pretty nerfed in the setting.

I thought I put up a 'Core rule book Races only', but Alas, I obviously have not. I wasn't too sure if I wanted to limit the potential as such, but this looks like fine crunch on two different characters. What is Tenebrous from? I haven't looked into that feat.

I suppose should actually submit something at some point, huh?

Tengu (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tengu) with the Claws alt-Race trait (naturally have a Bite attack).
1 level of White-Haired Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/white-haired-witch), for a Hair natural attack.
5 levels of Vivisectionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/vivisectionist) Alchemist, for 3d6 Sneak Attack, and a Mutagen, and a Tentacle (if you can get it approved to work as a 'normal' natural attack).

Heirloom Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/heirloom-weapon) Trait for Dwarven Boulder Helm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/helmet-dwarven-boulder)
Multiattack Feat.

You get 5 attacks on a Full Attack, 1 'headbutt' weapon, and 4 Naturals (+1 if Tentacle allowed). The naturals are all Secondary, but with only a -2 Penalty.
Combined with the Sneak Attack, that can be some impressive damage.
And don't forget the Mutagen!

That's great, One of the biggest issues I'm looking for is 'Always active' abuses, such as stacking a huge number of natural attacks on yourself. Interestingly enough, as a Tengu (A race I set aside for one of the Devil Lords) and with Alchemist (A class prone to corruption of another devil lord), I may just snag this build for an NPC if you don't mind.

However, I have to say that, While I appreciate the discussion on the RAW and RAI of the Boon Companion build... Ultimately, I approved it. If it isn't glaringly obvious as an illegal build (Such as using Dungeon Crasher on a fighter, for example, as This is strictly Pathfinder.) and it's going to descend into nitpicking the interpretations of the rules, Please, Let me play Psuedo-GM and make the final call. The Boon Companion stands as Legal as far as this thread is concerned. Thank you.

I'm much more concerned with players getting to bring their full arsenal of optimization in a Role-playing heavy environment with the limitations of their capacity being brought down by the environment of the world. I will not have time to read through and dissect 25 builds for legality, therefore, I'm gauging potential abuse in Pathfinder before I ask for participants to build, play and engage with the world.

That being said, Level 3 spells are the cap of existance, but forth level slots may be used for Metamagic spells. I don't think i've commented on that grey zone of E6 yet...

Toy Killer
2013-09-28, 02:58 PM
@ToyKiller - The way you have this setup, divine prepared casters will operate just fine despite not having time to rest. Divine casters gain spells at a specific, fixed time of day; everyday. Rest has nothing to do with it.

It still works for everyone else (even Oracles from what I can tell) though.

Sorry for the second double post.

I missed a pretty critical point in the wall of text about recovering spell slots.

At midnight each day, each player will make concentration checks for their spell slots (Minus any that come from high scores, or other non-class sources).

While most will have something like a DC20 check (Easy to overcome for most casters, they should want a high CON and concentration skill anyway), Clerics, Oracles and possibly druids will have to make a steadily increasing higher check, as the plane drifts sinks slowly into hell.

grarrrg
2013-09-28, 02:59 PM
I thought I put up a 'Core rule book Races only'
That's great, One of the biggest issues I'm looking for is 'Always active' abuses, such as stacking a huge number of natural attacks on yourself. Interestingly enough, as a Tengu (A race I set aside for one of the Devil Lords) and with Alchemist (A class prone to corruption of another devil lord), I may just snag this build for an NPC if you don't mind.

In that case, a more "player friendly" version would be
Half-Orc with the Bite attack alt-Racial trait.
2 levels of Ranger with Natural Attack style, getting Aspect of the Beast for 2 Claw attacks. 1 level of Witch for the Hair, and 3 levels of Rogue (or Ninja) for 2d6 Sneak.
Still taking Multiattack, and the Boulder Helm+Trait.

You'd be down 1 Sneak dice, but you'd be up a Bab (give or take Fractions), and have slightly better HD.

rockdeworld
2013-09-28, 07:18 PM
What is Tenebrous from?
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Magic

Like a lot of the metamagic feats, it's not that useful until you start pairing it with Magical Lineage. And then it wouldn't be good outside an E6 or PFS game.

Here's another one that a friend helped me uncover:

The Gunner
Tiefling Rogue (Sniper archetype) 6
Dex 20, nothing else matters

1 EWP: One-handed firearms
2 Combat Trick: Point Blank Shot
3 Rapid Shot
4 Combat Trick: Precise Shot
5 Deadly Aim
6 any

Weapon: double-barreled pistol

The Tiefling uses Darkness, and can see through it because of darkvision. Then he pulls out his gun and shoots his opponent in the face. The Sniper archetype means he can apply SA damage up to 50 ft away. PF doesn't actually have rules for attacking with concealment AFAIK, but any reasonable interpretation is that if you can't be seen (eg. because of Darkness), you're invisible to your enemy, so they lose their Dex bonus to AC against you. Thus your attack is:
To hit: +4 BAB + 5 Dex + 1 PBS + 2 invisible - 2 Deadly Aim - 2 Rapid Shot - 4 both barrels - 1/distance increment = +4/+4/+4 to hit vs touch AC without Dex
Damage: 1d8 + 3d6 SA + 4 Deadly Aim = 19 avg * 3 = 57 damage per round.

Note that you don't lose the benefit of total concealment for sniping unless your opponent has darkvision.

Pistolero 5/Rogue 1 would also work, giving up the extra SA range and either Deadly Aim or Precise Shot for Dex to damage.

Eldonauran
2013-09-29, 04:09 PM
I came up with another one.

Dwarf
Magus 4 / Witch 1 / Monk 1

Str: 7, Dex: 16, Con: 14, Int: 18, Wis: 16, Cha: 5

Magus (Hexcrafter/Bladed Scarf Dancer-Kapenia dancer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/kapenia-dancer))
Witch (White Haired Witch)
Monk (Manuever Master)

Racial Abilities:
Slow and Steady
Darkvision 60ft
Defensive Training
Dwarven Weapon Familiarity
Hatred
Stability
Lorekeeper (replaces greed) +2 Knowledge history regarding dwarves
Magic Resistance (replaces hardy) SR 11
Rock Stepper (replaces stonecunning) Ignore difficult terrain when making 5ft step

Magus Abilities:
Bladed Dancer
-Lose armor and shield prof. Diminished spellcasting
-Gain Canny Defense (INT to AC up to Magus Level)
Hexcrafter
-Lose spell recall @ level 4
--Gain Hexes: Prehensile Hair, Evil Eye and Slumber

Witch:
White-Haired Witch
-Lose all hexes, gain natural attack with hair (similar to Prehensile Hair, but no duration limit)
Taking King Crab as familiar for +2 CMB to start/maintain a grapple
Buffs spells like mage armor

Monk
Maneuver Master
-Flurry of Maneuvers (useful with two natural attacks that have range and still have hands free for other stuff)
-Improved Grapple - A must have
-WIS to AC
-Stunning Fist
-Unarmed Strike

Level 1 - Magus
-Weapon Finesse
-Bonus: Weapon Focus (Bladed Scarf)
Level 2 - Magus
Level 3 - Magus
-Hex: Prehensile Hair
-Feat: Extra Arcana - Hex Arcana: Evil Eye
Level 4 - Witch
Level 5 - Monk
-Bonus: Improved Grapple
-Feat: Hex Strike (Evil Eye)
Level 6 - Magus
-Arcana - Hex Arcana: Slumber

Future feats are probably Weapon Focus: Natural Attack (Hair) and Feral Combat Training, so that we get an additional +1 to attack/CMB and can deliver hexes through the hair attacks. Retraining our previous weapon focus would be ideal, if allowed.

Tactics:
Attack from invisibility/stealth, buffed with true strike or not, with an unarmed strike, delivering evil eye for a guaranteed -2 AC for one round. Follow it up with a secondary attack from hair, if you hit, automatic start to grapple.
Next round, Begin a flurry of maneuvers to try and pin opponent, then unarmed strike to give -2 saves with evil eye.
Third turn, Stunning Fist or Slumber Hex delivered with unarmed strike. Follow it with a coup de grace attack, channelling shocking grasp, auto critical for roughly 10d6 damage. Roughly a Fort DC 55 save or die, with a -2 to roll from evil eye (assuming average damage). Even without the spell, a crit from the hair is 2d4+8 (average Fort DC 23 , still with the -2 from evil eye)

Normal attacks is at +7 (hair) or +6 unarmed
CMB +6 (+11 to start grapple, +16 to maintain)
CMD 21 (23 vs grapple)

I'll post a statblock shortly.

Stat Block: Grappler
Male Dwarf Magus (Hexcrafter, Kapenia Dancer) 4/Monk (Maneuver Master) 1/Witch (White Haired Witch) 1
LN Medium Humanoid (dwarf)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +14
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 28, touch 20, flat-footed 21 (+4 armor, +4 shield, +3 Dex, +3 Wis, +4 Int)
hp 43 (5d8+1d6+12) Average HP assumed
Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +11
Defensive Abilities canny defense +4, defensive training; SR 11
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft.
Melee:
Hair (Prehensile Hair) +9 (1d3+3/x2) or
Hair (White Haired Witch) +9 (1d4+5/x2) or
Scarf, bladed +8 (1d6-2/x2) or
Unarmed strike +8 (1d6-1/x2)
Full Attack:
Hair (Prehensile Hair) +4 (1d3+3/x2) and
Hair (White Haired Witch) +4 (1d4+5/x2) and
Scarf, bladed +8 (1d6-2/x2)
OR
Hair (Prehensile Hair) +4 (1d3+3/x2) and
Hair (White Haired Witch) +4 (1d4+5/x2) and
Unarmed strike +8 (1d6-1/x2)
Special Attacks hatred, hex arcana (evil eye [dc 16], prehensile hair), hexes (slumber [dc 16]), spellstrike, white hair (grab)
Magus (Hexcrafter, Kapenia Dancer) Spells Prepared (CL 4/CL 5 on Solid ground):
2 (1/day) Invisibility
1 (3/day) Shocking Grasp, Shield, True Strike
0 (at will) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation (DC 14), Brand (DC 14)
Witch (White Haired Witch) Spells Prepared (CL 1/CL 2 on solid ground):
1 (2/day) Mage Armor, Forced Quiet (DC 15)
0 (at will) Stabilize, Arcane Mark, Read Magic
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 7, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 5
Base Atk +3; CMB +8 (+13 Grappling); CMD 21 (21 vs. Bull Rush, 23 vs. Grapple, 21 vs. Trip)
Feats Extra Arcana, Hex Strike (Evil Eye), Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (2/day) (DC 16), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Scarf, bladed)
Traits Bullied, Strength of the Land
Skills Acrobatics +12 (+8 jump), Climb +2, Fly +10, Heal +7, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (history) +8 (+10 on checks that pertain to dwarves or their enemies), Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (planes) +8, Knowledge (religion) +8, Perception +14, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +12, Stealth +11, Survival +3 (+5 to avoid becoming lost), Use Magic Device +5; Racial Modifiers lorekeeper
Languages Common, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon
SQ +2 bonus on cmb checks to start and maintain a gra, ac bonus +3, arcane pool (+1) (6/day), empathic link with familiar, flurry of maneuvers (1 maneuver, -2), hex arcana, hex magus, patron spells (elements), rock stepper, share spells with familiar, slow and steady, spell combat, stability, stunning fist (stun), unarmed strike (1d6)
Other Gear Scarf, bladed, Amulet of mighty fists +1, Ioun stone (pale green prism (cracked, Attack), Wayfinder (1 @ 0 lbs), Reinforced scarf, You have no money!
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
+2 bonus on CMB checks to start and maintain a grapple You gain the Alertness feat while your familiar is within arm's reach.
AC Bonus +3 The Monk adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels.
Arcane Pool (+1) (6/day) (Su) Infuse own power into a held weapon, granting enhancement bonus or selected item powers.
Bullied +1 to hit with unarmed AoEs.
Canny Defense +4 (Ex) +INT bonus to AC (max Magus level).
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Defensive Training +4 Gain a dodge bonus to AC vs monsters of the Giant subtype.
Empathic Link with Familiar (Su) You have an empathic link with your Arcane Familiar.
Evil Eye -2 (7 round(s)) (DC 16) (Su) Foe in 30 ft takes penalty to your choice of AC, attacks, saves, ability or skill checks (Will part).
Flurry of Maneuvers (1 maneuver, -2) (Ex) At 1st level, as part of a full-attack action, a maneuver master can make one additional combat maneuver, regardless of whether the maneuver normally replaces a melee attack or requires a standard action. The maneuver master uses his monk level in pl
Hatred +1 Gain a racial bonus to attacks vs Goblinoids/Orcs.
Hex Arcana You can substitute Hexes for Magus Arcana.
Hex Magus (Su) You gain access to witch hexes.
Hex Strike (Evil Eye) Upon successful unarmed strike, you may use a hex
Improved Grapple You don't provoke attacks of opportunity when grappling a foe.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Lorekeeper +2 for Knowledge (History) checks relating to dwarves and their enemies. These checks can be made untrained.
Prehensile Hair (Su) The witch can instantly cause her hair (or even her eyebrows) to grow up to 10 feet long or to shrink to its normal length, and can manipulate her hair as if it were a limb with a Strength score equal to her Intelligence score. Her hair has reach 10
Rock Stepper Ignore rubble, broken ground, or steep stairs when taking 5 ft step.
Share Spells with Familiar Can cast spells with a target of "You" on the familiar with a range of touch.
Slow and Steady Your base speed is never modified by encumbrance.
Slumber (4 rds) (DC 16) (Su) Foe in 30 ft falls asleep for duration, or until damaged or roused by ally (Will neg).
Spell Combat (Ex) Use a weapon with one hand at -2 and cast a spell with the other.
Spell Resistance (11) You have Spell Resistance.
Spellstrike (Su) Deliver touch spells as part of a melee attack.
Stability +4 Gain bonus to CMD vs bull rush/trip while standing on ground.
Strength of the Land You gain a +1 trait bonus on caster level checks while touching the ground or unworked stone. This includes dispel checks and checks to overcome spell resistance.
Stunning Fist (2/day) (DC 16) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
Stunning Fist (Stun) (Ex) At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This conditio
Unarmed Strike (1d6) The Monk does lethal damage with his unarmed strikes.
Wayfinder (1 @ 0 lbs) With a command word, you can use a wayfinder to shine (as the light spell). The wayfinder also acts as a nonmagical (magnetic) compass, granting you a +2 circumstance bonus on Survival checks to avoid becoming lost. All wayfinders include a small indentation designed to hold a single ioun stone. An ioun stone slotted in this manner grants you its normal benefits (as if it were orbiting your head), but frequently reveals entirely new powers due to the magic of the wayfinder itself (see Seeker of Secrets page 51).
Ioun Stone (Wayfinder) - Pale Green Prism, Cracked: +1 competence bonus on attack rolls or saving throws