PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Dragon Ancestor

Unifel
2013-09-20, 07:20 PM
So, in my Campaign there's a Purple dragon. (Yeah, I know it doesn't exist)
The Idea is that this dragon is the first dragon, and he has survived all this time because after he reached "Great Wyrm" stage he stopped aging due to very, VERY strong magic. He's basically supposed to be the common link between all the dragons, so he's true Neutral. He's also supposed to have the abilities of all the other dragons (though not all of the abilities, as they evolved separately after he made them) He should be able to beat any other dragon at their strongest point, yet still be easily beat by two dragons. I realize this is a tall order, but I have absolutely no skills at homebrew, so I'll leave it to you guys to discuss some abilities, HD, e.t.c. in the comments. He's basically a mortal god, if that makes any sense.
Really interested to see how this turns out :smalltongue:
EDIT: Oh and also any ideas for a dragonpact involving him? (See Dragon Magic, pg 90)

JaronK
2013-09-20, 07:24 PM
See Draconomicon for their rules on epic dragon advancement... give him three or four virtual age categories. I'd also consider making him resist energy to all energy types, but not be immune to any, and give him the ability to use a breath weapon that rotates types at will (so he can chose to breathe fire or cold or whatever).

Or consider levels in the PrCs from that same book. One makes you a god, IIRC.

JaronK

Unifel
2013-09-20, 07:43 PM
See Draconomicon for their rules on epic dragon advancement... give him three or four virtual age categories. I'd also consider making him resist energy to all energy types, but not be immune to any, and give him the ability to use a breath weapon that rotates types at will (so he can chose to breathe fire or cold or whatever).

Or consider levels in the PrCs from that same book. One makes you a god, IIRC.

JaronK

Very nice, thanks a bunch! And it IS possible to, say, give the dragon 20 sorcerer class levels as well? (As an example, 20 might be a bit much if he's already "advanced")

Urpriest
2013-09-20, 07:46 PM
Very nice, thanks a bunch! And it IS possible to, say, give the dragon 20 sorcerer class levels as well? (As an example, 20 might be a bit much if he's already "advanced")

20 would be a lot, but yeah, giving Dragons class levels is as straightforward as giving any other monster class levels, and Sorceror casting stacks with their innate casting.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 08:01 PM
OK, a PURPLE dragon???

You want BARNEY??? Easy. He just SINGs an any other dragon runs SHRIEKING!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it.. Just got this picture of a giant PURPLE dragon flying over singing "I'll Eat You, You can't Eat Me, Lets get together in my tummy..."

Vaz
2013-09-20, 08:03 PM
Purple Dragons do exist; Dragon Compendium Vol 1. Fairly naughty too, with a Unique ability.

Runestar
2013-09-20, 08:09 PM
Sorc lvs are a little redundant at that point, since advancing a dragon also improves his innate spellcasting capabilities, and you don't get anything other than caster lv boosts past lv20 anyways.

Stat wise, simply advance the dragon to a comfortable point (you can use the epic dragon advancement rules here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonAdvanced.htm)

Here's inferno, a cr40 red dragon, for your reference.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060302b&page=4

Throw on the quasi-deity template (if you can't be bothered to tack on 12 lvs of dragon ascendent).

Unifel
2013-09-20, 08:19 PM
Sweet alright. So now all that would be left would be making up some sort of Dragonpact. Should I just choose and pick abilities from each other dragonpact or make up something? The Dragon Magic book says
"The five spell-like abilities should fit together in a coherent theme. Their effects need not be similar (you don't have to have four different fire spells, for example), as long as the theme is interesting and lends itself to a particular kind of dragon—or even better, to more than one kind."
However in this case the theme would be versatility, and as much power from ALL dragons as possible. (So while one spell might be lightning bolt, another might be more Cat's Grace oriented [not necessarily those spells, but you get the idea])
EDIT: and think a more sinister purple than Barney

Unifel
2013-09-20, 09:00 PM
So, no Ideas on Dragonpacts, huh?
Damn, I guess I can string something together then

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-21, 12:18 AM
The Dragonlance campaign setting, Age of Mortals and possibly Towers of High Sorcery might have good resources for you, as uberdragons were a pretty central pot point in later era Dragonlance.

Unifel
2013-09-21, 02:05 AM
The Dragonlance campaign setting, Age of Mortals and possibly Towers of High Sorcery might have good resources for you, as uberdragons were a pretty central pot point in later era Dragonlance.

I dont have any 2e stuff
3.5 was my introduction to D&D

Unifel
2013-09-21, 02:10 AM
Purple Dragons do exist; Dragon Compendium Vol 1. Fairly naughty too, with a Unique ability.

I don't have access to Dragon Compendium Vol 1. :smallfrown:
But anyway the point is in this campaign it doesnt exist (except for the one) :smalltongue:

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-21, 01:24 PM
All the Dragonlance books I mentioned are 3.0, although only the Dragonlance Campaign Setting is actually first-party. The other two are sorta second-party.

Unifel
2013-09-21, 06:17 PM
All the Dragonlance books I mentioned are 3.0, although only the Dragonlance Campaign Setting is actually first-party. The other two are sorta second-party.

Well, I dont have any base 3e either ^.^