PDA

View Full Version : Craft Alchemy Spreadsheet Q

unseenmage
2013-09-20, 08:53 PM
Assuming I have all the other variables I need, how would I express the following in Excel Spreadsheet?

(If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.)

PS. A friend built this Spreadsheet for me and this last part just never got finished. I am a complete noob insofar as the math and programming is concerned.

Okay, here it is. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0XKRyroGv1tN2FnczMyRjB4bWc/edit?usp=sharing)

Given the listed downtime in Q19, W19, AM19, and AS19 (by day/by week) how many of each item gets made. That's my question.

Problem solved, thanks all.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-20, 09:01 PM
You find the product of the check result and the crafting DC, then divide the item's cost in silver pieces by that number. Then multiply by the normal amount of time the check usually takes to find out how long it actually takes.

Captnq
2013-09-20, 09:07 PM
(If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.)

Would be easier if I saw the spreadsheet.

Here's the problem, your first part [result] is a variable. Excel isn't a big fan of variables. You could reverse it, however. Have two columns. One labeled x1/2 and one labled x1/3. Then take the price in silver and divide by the DC. This would give you the minimum result you need to hit.

=A1/B1

Or something along those lines.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-20, 09:11 PM
Would be easier if I saw the spreadsheet.

Here's the problem, your first part [result] is a variable. Excel isn't a big fan of variables. You could reverse it, however. Have two columns. One labeled x1/2 and one labled x1/3. Then take the price in silver and divide by the DC. This would give you the minimum result you need to hit.

=A1/B1

Or something along those lines.

The problem with that is that the rules actually allow for any fractional result to modify the time it takes to complete the crafting. It is not limited to 1/2 or 1/3.

EDIT: The check result is either going to be entered manually or calculated randomly, but assuming that it is placed in a cell on the spreadsheet, then the formula I mentioned will just return an error while the check result is left blank and work normally once a value is entered.

unseenmage
2013-09-20, 09:24 PM
How would I go about showing you the Spreadsheet?

avr
2013-09-20, 09:33 PM
I suggest google docs.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-09-20, 09:35 PM
If you want it in a single column you'd be able to express it with the formula:
=Skill Roll/Craft DC
The resultant number should give you the denominator for the fraction of a time it takes to finish the item. You can of course take this further and then divide the time taken by the number you just achieved.

unseenmage
2013-09-20, 09:45 PM
I suggest google docs.

Okay, got it created and uploaded. Can't figure out how to let you see it...

Sorry for my noobinitude. But I am trying to learn.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-09-20, 09:47 PM
Under Files, click Share and change to anyone with a link. Then copy paste the link in here.

unseenmage
2013-09-20, 09:54 PM
Under Files, click Share and change to anyone with a link. Then copy paste the link in here.

Okay, here it is. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0XKRyroGv1tN2FnczMyRjB4bWc/edit?usp=sharing)

avr
2013-09-20, 10:56 PM
Since you have rather a lot of columns already you could just add some more. Put something like =ROUNDDOWN(1/AV3) to get the number of items per day based on the value (number of days required to craft the item) in cell AV3.

unseenmage
2013-09-20, 11:43 PM
Since you have rather a lot of columns already you could just add some more. Put something like =ROUNDDOWN(1/AV3) to get the number of items per day based on the value (number of days required to craft the item) in cell AV3.

Okay, I think there's actually already a column for what I posted in the OP. My bad.

There are empty spots for how fast each individual item gets crafted.

Meaning, given the listed downtime in Q19, W19, AM19, and AS19 how many of each item gets made. That's my question.

Editing OP to reflect.

unseenmage
2013-09-21, 06:39 PM
Again, sorry I'm such a newb at this but would someone be willing to literally type out what I should put and where I should put it to finish this thing?

TuggyNE
2013-09-21, 09:02 PM
Again, sorry I'm such a newb at this but would someone be willing to literally type out what I should put and where I should put it to finish this thing?

In AR3, put the formula =1/AM3 (or =ROUNDDOWN(1/AM3,0) to see only what you can accomplish in a single week with no carryover). Drag the corner of the range down to fill the formula through to AR17. Then in AR1 and AR2, put appropriate headers, and (if you like) separate out the columns and add spaces and merge cells and what-not to make it look nice.

You can copy the same column from AR to AX, V, and AB; the references are relative, and will point to the right spots.

unseenmage
2013-09-21, 10:15 PM
And it's done. Thank you all very very much for your help. It is appreciated.