PDA

View Full Version : What CR is this?

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 09:26 PM
As the title says. Because if my calculations are correct, the party is in for a surprise.

Super-Lizard
Colossal Animal
Hit Dice: 40d8+440 (620 hp)
Initiative +9
Speed: 80 ft.
Armor Class: 34, touch 8, flat-footed 28 (-8 size, +5 Dex, +1 dodge, +26 natural)
Base Attack/ Grapple: 30/56
Base Atk +30; CMB +56; CMD 71
Attack: bite +41 (4d6+18/19-20,x2)
Full Attack: bite +41 (4d6+18/19-20,x2) , 2 claws +38 (3d6+18)
Space/ Reach: 40 ft./40 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Animal Traits, Low-Light Vision, Hold breath
Saves: Fort +34 Ref +29 Will +20
Abilities: Str 46 Dex 21 Con 30 Int 2 Wis 21 Cha 21
Skills: Perception +51
Feats Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Armor, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Lunge, Mobility, Multiattack, Power Attack, Run, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Prehistoric Jungle
Treasure: none

Pounce (Ex)
When a Super-Lizard makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability).

Swallow Whole (Ex)
If a Super-Lizard begins its turn with an opponent grappled in its mouth (see Grab), it can attempt a new combat maneuver check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category Smaller than the swallowing creature. Being swallowed causes a creature to take 4d6+27 bludgeoning damage each round. A swallowed creature keeps the grappled condition, while the creature that did the swallowing does not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is 62). A Super-Lizard's Stomach has 29 AC. If a swallowed creature cuts its way out, the Super-Lizard cannot use swallow whole again until the damage is healed. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again.

Hold Breath
A super-lizard can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 6 times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Animal Traits
An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture. Animals usually have additional information on how they can serve as companions.
-Low-light vision.
-Animals breathe, eat, and sleep.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-20, 09:27 PM
CR 15. Brute strength should never take a creature over that, as they cannot fight with the party casters.

John Longarrow
2013-09-20, 09:52 PM
This will be a very short fight if the party has access to Ray of Stupidity.

Platymus Pus
2013-09-20, 11:27 PM
CR 15. Brute strength should never take a creature over that, as they cannot fight with the party casters.

How would it do against ranged characters like rangers I wonder.
It's AC seems too low.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-20, 11:31 PM
How would it do against ranged characters like rangers I wonder.
It's AC seems too low.

It cannot fly either from what I can see. Sit up in the sky and plunk arrows at it! Never miss and it cannot get to you.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-09-20, 11:42 PM
Ridiculously giant brutes are best used as puzzle monsters. I.E. the party encounters them at a low enough level where direct (melee) confrontation would be suicidal, but they can avoid or incapacitate the creature with the proper spells, items or tactics (see above).

Also, by my calculations, its regular AC should be 34, and its flat-footed AC should be 29.

3WhiteFox3
2013-09-21, 12:51 AM
My issue with this monster is that it will be almost impossible to beat if the party doesn't have spellcasters with the right spells (or the right items). But if they do, it's going to go down ridiculously easy.

Summoned Allips
Shivering Touch
Ray of Stupidity
Flight

Those are all fairly low lvl spells too. Higher level spells can make things even worse.

Chronos
2013-09-21, 10:03 AM
It looks roughly similar to a battletitan dinosaur (Monster Manual III), which is listed as CR 16. I agree, though, that either of them is far easier than their CR indicates, if you have the right spells.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-21, 11:35 AM
It's an Advanced Dire Spinosaurus from Pathfinder - the rules said CR 14. That didn't seem right at first look so I posted it here to get the playground's opinion.

Do note that in Pathfinder the usual wizard/cleric exploits don't exist. No rays of stupidity and allip touch allows a save for example. However, flying and other tactical magic still applies.